Throttle Body Cleaning On JGC V-8

Old August 23rd 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

Default Throttle Body Cleaning On JGC V-8

I have a 1993 JGC that is starting to have a problem with rapid
throttle movement at slow speeds. If you push on the gas too much,
then back off quickly, the engine will die. The Jeep dealer said I
probably need to clean the throttle body. They want $120. It hasn't
been done for over 10 years, so I'm thinking it would probably be
better to let the dealer take it off and clean it properly rather than
try using solvents through the intake. Comments?

Dick
Old August 23rd 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

http://members.cox.net/wilsond/tb/tb.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 23rd 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Let's see..... $3.99 for a can of sensor safe throttle body spray cleaner
which leaves $116.01 for labor.......

To do it yourself you need the sensor safe spray cleaner an an old
toothbrush and probably a half hour if it is your first time cleaning the
throttle body.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122181169

It would probably be a good idea to dump a can of injector cleaner in to the
gas. SeaFoam, BG44, or Techron Cleaner (not the diluted Cleaner with
Techron which will be next to it in the shelf) are all good products.

If you want to make sure the injectors are really clean you can add a can of
cleaner to a full tank of gasoline, run it until is is as close to empty as
you dare, refill with plain gasoline and run that until as close to empty as
you dare, and then repeat the cleaner a second time.

Old August 23rd 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

The service manager assured me that they remove the throttle body to
clean it. They don't just dump a can of cleaner in it. I realize I
could do that.

Dick

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:47:29 -0400, "billy ray"

Old August 23rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

To remove (and reinstall) the throttle body for the cleaning process only
adds a few minutes to the procedure as it is easier to clean on a bench than
on the engine....

The cleaning process is more than dumping the cleaner in.... that is what
the old toothbrush is for.

Throttle bodies are much much much easier to clean than carbs (If you are
old enough to remember them)

My comment is aimed more toward the dealer charge of $120 for something
almost anyone can do in their driveway for less than $10 on a Saturday
morning.

The first time you clean a throttle body it might take a half hour.... after
the first time probably 15 minutes, a professional mechanic would probably
not take 10 minutes..... That would make the dealership's effective labor
rate about $720/hr.

This (cleaning) isn't rocket science or master mechanic's work....... if it
was I wouldn't have been able to do it....

Use of the link below tell you all you need to successfully clean a throttle
body.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/tbody.htm

Old August 23rd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

Thanks Billy Ray. That link was very helpful.

Dick

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:17:49 -0400, "billy ray"
> wrote:

>To remove (and reinstall) the throttle body for the cleaning process only
>adds a few minutes to the procedure as it is easier to clean on a bench than
>on the engine....
>
>The cleaning process is more than dumping the cleaner in.... that is what
>the old toothbrush is for.
>
>Throttle bodies are much much much easier to clean than carbs (If you are
>old enough to remember them)
>
>My comment is aimed more toward the dealer charge of $120 for something
>almost anyone can do in their driveway for less than $10 on a Saturday
>morning.
>
>The first time you clean a throttle body it might take a half hour.... after
>the first time probably 15 minutes, a professional mechanic would probably
>not take 10 minutes..... That would make the dealership's effective labor
>rate about $720/hr.
>
>This (cleaning) isn't rocket science or master mechanic's work....... if it
>was I wouldn't have been able to do it....
>
>Use of the link below tell you all you need to successfully clean a throttle
>body.
>
>http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/tbody.htm

.. .

Old August 23rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

What would happen if you put that cleaner in a tank thats half full and run
it to near empty, would it be too strong and burn something up?

There's a jiffy lube near where I work and I always see vehicles parked in
the lot running and smoke coming out of the pipes. Are they running a
cleaner through them?

Troy

Old August 23rd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I don't know what, if any, damage would be done by doubling the
concentration. It could well be that the time factor is very important.

As for the exhaust cloud.... does it look like this?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2107498956

Old August 23rd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

When I bought my '88 with a 4.0L the throttle body was so gunked up
that I wound up taking it off the manifold and putting it in a
ultrasonic tank full of Carter's - for an hour.

You mention problems with overshoot with a fast on-off the throttle
move. That was the last step in my saga - took a couple of months to
get it running right. It took a new O2 sensor to get rid of the last
little bit of the stumble. Remember that the O2 is primarily
effective at idle and mine was apparently too tired to react fast
enough on that sudden throttle movement to idle. Hell, it only had
125k on the clock when I changed it - should last longer than that!

--
Will Honea
Old August 23rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clay

As I understand it, the injection cleaner relies on thermal cycles to
break down the gunk in the injectors. You drive where you're going and
shut it off. The motor heats and cools.
With a half a tank, you're going to get less starts and stops... less
opportunity for the cleaner to do it's thing.
(Just something I read on the internet... true or false, I dunno)