Saturn vs Honda Civic Drag Race on TV

Old August 14th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Default Saturn vs Honda Civic Drag Race on TV

OK - Its petty clear shy rear-wheel drive cars have wheelie bars.
But to me, wheelie bars trailing behind a front wheel drive car just
looks too stupid!
Comments? I just dont get it!
-WaVy

Old August 14th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

yeah - petty clear shy
should read - pretty clear why

(Hmm. Drinkin and typing - good thing I aint drivin!)

Old August 14th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

You may think it looks stupid, but it is VERY effective at improving
traction.

From http://www.modernracer.com/tips/drag...echniques.html :

"The drive wheels make a big difference in the way your car launches. Most
front-wheel-drive cars lose traction and spin the front wheels more easily
because the sudden acceleration transfers weight off of the front wheels
toward the rear. This is the reason why front-wheel-drive pro drag-racing
cars have wheelie bars installed at the back, to keep the front end pressed
to the ground. You have to launch using less throttle than you would with a
rear-wheel-drive, to avoid excessive wheelspin, and then you gradually apply
more throttle as you gain traction. "

Fire up a search engine, and you can find a lot of info on this subject.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Thanks Lane -
You made it clear with a very minimal amount of effort.
The moment of enertia description makes it very plain.
By moving it further back, you limit the amount of reflex. Essenially
why long rails have better traction than funny cars...
-WaVy

Old August 15th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:46:13 -0700, wavy took a five-minute break from
flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

> OK - Its petty clear shy rear-wheel drive cars have wheelie bars.
> But to me, wheelie bars trailing behind a front wheel drive car just
> looks too stupid!
> Comments? I just dont get it!
> -WaVy

It helps make the CVCC much faster. Works best when applied with several
"powered by honda" stickers and a few kanji character stickers.

It helps also to have an oversized muffler and some extra gauges on the
dashboard.

--
kai -
www.perfectreign.com || www.livebeans.com

Wo ist der Ort für den ehrlichsten Kuss
Ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss
Auf 'ner Strasse im Regen, auf 'nem Berg nah beim Mond
Oder kann man ihn nur vom Totenbett holen

Old August 15th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jay Beast

"PerfectReign" > wrote in message
news

> It helps make the CVCC much faster. Works best when applied with several
> "powered by honda" stickers and a few kanji character stickers.
>
> It helps also to have an oversized muffler and some extra gauges on the
> dashboard.

Don't forget the fire extinguisher, just in case the rice burner catches on
fire.

Jay

Old August 19th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:22:37 +0000, Jay Beast took a five-minute break
from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

> "PerfectReign" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> It helps make the CVCC much faster. Works best when applied with several
>> "powered by honda" stickers and a few kanji character stickers.
>>
>> It helps also to have an oversized muffler and some extra gauges on the
>> dashboard.
>>

> Don't forget the fire extinguisher, just in case the rice burner catches on
> fire.

I suppose I shouldn't make too much fun of Hondas. I've got one of their
engines in my '05 VUE. :P

At least my new Avalanche has a nice American engine.
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/23

What?

It's Mexican?

Oh.

Well, I did see a nice '69 Datsun 1600 roadster yesterday. At least for a
rice racer, it looked sweet. The guy was comparing it with my neighbor's
'58 MGB.