new to old beetle

Old July 18th 05, 05:40 PM
JohnS

Default new to old beetle

okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
if your news group has one

I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
fluids.

BTW how do you find the plugs?
I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?

JohnS
79 Beetle

Old July 18th 05, 06:00 PM
Remco

JohnS wrote:
> okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
> if your news group has one
>
> I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
> fluids.
>
> BTW how do you find the plugs?
> I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
> do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?
>
> JohnS
> 79 Beetle

Welcome, John!
I'm relatively new as well. Where are you from? I'm in CT.

I'd get a good manual, like Bentley's. (you can often get them
inexpensively on ebay).
Strangely enough, you'll find the bentley manual does not have an
index, so here's a link to an index:
http://www.vw-resource.com/bentley1.html

Also look into getting the bugmevideos.com #1 tape on general
maintenance. They have a series of tapes on various bug subjects, some
more advanced. All very nicely done, very clear. Definitely worth the
money.

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jan.htm - some basic and not so
basic things.
(the guy in the pictures is actually Rick, the same guy that makes the
bugme tapes).
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/ is good for troubleshooting things.
http://www.thebugshop.org -- a nice tech section and faq.

Others here will probably have more suggestions because there's a
wealth of stuff out there.

Remco

I am sure others here will have suggestions

Old July 18th 05, 06:07 PM
bug '59

"Joao Eliseu" > schreef in bericht

> "JohnS" > wrote:
>>okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
>>if your news group has one
>>
>>I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
>>fluids.
>>
>>BTW how do you find the plugs?
>>I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
>>do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?
>>
>>JohnS
>> 79 Beetle
>>

> Don't need to see only feel. On the beetle bag tools there is a socket for
> that.
> It is a socket with rubber inside. You have to be very careful when you
> are put
> new ones, to avoid damage the threads. I put the plug on the socket, and
> rotate
> it anti-clock first until I feel the thread. You also have to disconnect
> the tube
> that goes to the air filter
>

> Joao

Socket # 21mm
Take away the sparkplug wires (on both side 2), and you can get to them...
btw www.ramva.tk is a great help

Roger

Old July 18th 05, 06:21 PM
Joao Eliseu

Old July 18th 05, 06:40 PM
Remco

bug '59 wrote:
> "Joao Eliseu" > schreef in bericht
> >
> > "JohnS" > wrote:
> >>okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
> >>if your news group has one
> >>
> >>I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
> >>fluids.
> >>
> >>BTW how do you find the plugs?
> >>I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
> >>do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?
> >>
> >>JohnS
> >> 79 Beetle
> >>

> > Don't need to see only feel. On the beetle bag tools there is a socket for
> > that.
> > It is a socket with rubber inside. You have to be very careful when you
> > are put
> > new ones, to avoid damage the threads. I put the plug on the socket, and
> > rotate
> > it anti-clock first until I feel the thread. You also have to disconnect
> > the tube
> > that goes to the air filter
> >

> > Joao

> Socket # 21mm
> Take away the sparkplug wires (on both side 2), and you can get to them...
> btw www.ramva.tk is a great help

Hey Roger,
You're Dutch? I noticed the "schreef in bericht".. If so, where are you
from? I'm originally from Denhaag.
Remco

Old July 18th 05, 07:23 PM
JohnS

"bug '59" > wrote in message

> "Joao Eliseu" > schreef in bericht
>>
>> "JohnS" > wrote:
>>>okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
>>>if your news group has one
>>>
>>>I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
>>>fluids.
>>>
>>>BTW how do you find the plugs?
>>>I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
>>>do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?
>>>
>>>JohnS
>>> 79 Beetle
>>>

>> Don't need to see only feel. On the beetle bag tools there is a socket
>> for that.
>> It is a socket with rubber inside. You have to be very careful when you
>> are put
>> new ones, to avoid damage the threads. I put the plug on the socket, and
>> rotate
>> it anti-clock first until I feel the thread. You also have to disconnect
>> the tube
>> that goes to the air filter
>>

>> Joao

> Socket # 21mm
> Take away the sparkplug wires (on both side 2), and you can get to them...
> btw www.ramva.tk is a great help
>
> Roger

Thanks, I'll give it a go later this week.
I also will get a better repair manual.
JohnS
79 Beetle

Old July 18th 05, 08:48 PM
Jan Andersson

Remco wrote:

> JohnS wrote:
> > okay, 1st off please point me to or repost a general FAQ list,
> > if your news group has one
> >
> > I need to do some general maintenance things, like sparkplugs & change
> > fluids.
> >
> > BTW how do you find the plugs?
> > I know where they should be <grin> but I can't see them....
> > do I use a normal socket or is there a special one for the tight fit?
> >
> > JohnS
> > 79 Beetle
> >

> Welcome, John!
> I'm relatively new as well. Where are you from? I'm in CT.
>
> I'd get a good manual, like Bentley's. (you can often get them
> inexpensively on ebay).
> Strangely enough, you'll find the bentley manual does not have an
> index, so here's a link to an index:
> http://www.vw-resource.com/bentley1.html
>
> Also look into getting the bugmevideos.com #1 tape on general
> maintenance. They have a series of tapes on various bug subjects, some
> more advanced. All very nicely done, very clear. Definitely worth the
> money.
>
> http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jan.htm - some basic and not so
> basic things.
> (the guy in the pictures is actually Rick, the same guy that makes the
> bugme tapes).
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/ is good for troubleshooting things.
> http://www.thebugshop.org -- a nice tech section and faq.
>
> Others here will probably have more suggestions because there's a
> wealth of stuff out there.
>
> Remco
>
> I am sure others here will have suggestions

I second the Bugmevideo tapes. Awesome. You don't need to guess or
interpret anything, just watch someone else do it (RIGHT) as many times
as you want.

I wonder why that one link has my name at the end, LOL

Jan
Old July 18th 05, 10:11 PM
bug '59

"Remco" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> bug '59 wrote:

>> > Don't need to see only feel. On the beetle bag tools there is a socket
>> > for
>> > that.
>> > It is a socket with rubber inside. You have to be very careful when you
>> > are put
>> > new ones, to avoid damage the threads. I put the plug on the socket,
>> > and
>> > rotate
>> > it anti-clock first until I feel the thread. You also have to
>> > disconnect
>> > the tube
>> > that goes to the air filter
>> >

>> > Joao

>> Socket # 21mm
>> Take away the sparkplug wires (on both side 2), and you can get to
>> them...
>> btw www.ramva.tk is a great help
>>

> Hey Roger,
> You're Dutch? I noticed the "schreef in bericht".. If so, where are you
> from? I'm originally from Denhaag.
> Remco

Yes i am!!
I currently live in Rijen as in Gilze-Rijen, between Tilburg and
Breda..(Brabant)
Where are you now and...... why??

Gr Roger

Old July 18th 05, 11:22 PM
RemcoW

"bug '59" > wrote in message

> "Remco" > schreef in bericht
> oups.com...
> > bug '59 wrote:
> >> "Joao Eliseu" > schreef in bericht

change

socket

you

> >> Socket # 21mm
> >> Take away the sparkplug wires (on both side 2), and you can get to
> >> them...
> >> btw www.ramva.tk is a great help
> >>

> > Hey Roger,
> > You're Dutch? I noticed the "schreef in bericht".. If so, where are you
> > from? I'm originally from Denhaag.
> > Remco
> >

> Yes i am!!
> I currently live in Rijen as in Gilze-Rijen, between Tilburg and
> Breda..(Brabant)
> Where are you now and...... why??
>
> Gr Roger

Ok, ja - ik weet waar dat is. Vroeger kampeerde we in die contrijen vaak.
Ik emigreerde in mijn eentje naar de VS in '82 en woon in Connecticut, een
uur ten noord oosten van de stad New York. Sommige dingen hier zijn niet als
in NL maar d'r zitten ook een hoop goeie dingen aan de VS, hoor

Let me continue in English because don't want to be impolite to the rest of
the group. I only recently got involved with bugs but have always liked them
since I was a kid. Been involved with cars since I could drive, but mostly
out of necessity.

Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else? Javier VW air cooled 8 January 15th 05 04:59 AM
FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 11:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 05:54 PM
2002 Beetle Turbo Transmission/Overheating issue [email protected] VW water cooled 0 December 24th 04 08:26 AM