Front-end Noise

Old July 17th 05, 11:41 AM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Default Front-end Noise

Hello to All,

I have a 1999 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0 SOHC. Now with about 76K miles I'm
having what appears to be my first problem (other than the killer tire
swap).

I hear a metal on metal clunking noise in the front end while driving. It's
not only when braking and/or turning, but braking and turning seems to make
it louder.

Also, this noise has only started when our current heat wave occurred. It
goes away in the cooler early morning temps but comes back when the heat
does.

I have done my own replacement of all brake pads. I took off the front
wheels and checked that the calipers are tight and everything is in order.

I owned a 1977 VW bus and remember experiencing a similar symptom with it.
In that case, it was the wheel bearings which I repaired.

Is that a good guess? What do you suggest?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Stephen Saunders

Old July 17th 05, 02:31 PM
Mikepier

Since its temperature related, maybe its the stabilizer bar bushings
you hear. Sounds like a creaking sound. They are easy to remove and
lubricate.

Did this noise occur after you did the brake job?

Old July 17th 05, 08:45 PM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply.

BTW, no on the noise occurring after the brake job. That was about 20K miles
ago.

Since you say the fix is easy, I'd like to try.

Can you point me to a source of instructions for doing this? Do I get to the
stabilizer bar bushings by pulling the front wheels or jacking up the front
end? I have a hydraulic jack.

Thanks again,

Stephen

oups.com...

Old July 18th 05, 02:58 PM
Mikepier

No, you don't need any jacks , nor do you need to take the wheels off.
If you look underneath the front of your truck, by the radiator, you'll
see a round bar, about 1 1/2" diameter, bolted to the frame on either
side with 2 U brackets. The bushings are in the bracket. You can see
them. You just need to take out the 2 bolts holding each bracket in.
The bar will drop giving you enough room to remove the bushing from the
bracket. It has a slit in it so the bushing can be removed from the
bar. Put some water resistant grease or lubricant on it and put it back
in.
Just a tip. Removing the bolts might be a pain with just a regular 3/8"
drive ratchet set. It will come easier with a 1/2 " drive ratchet set
to give you more torque. Good luck.

Old July 18th 05, 10:18 PM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Thank you Mike for your help. You are the only one to respond so far and
you did respond very quickly. That gives me so much confidence about
finding answers that I need and that other people can supply.

I had an old Mitsubishi front projection large screen TV that I bought when
they first came out. I owned it for 13 years. Then the red gun went dead
and I contacted Mitsubishi to order another one. They said the part was not
available. So I went on Usenet and found that if I bought and installed a
separate filament transformer for the red gun, that would eliminate the
short that stopped my red gun because there would be no short with a
separate filament electrical source. The guy was right and the TV worked
again. Thank God for usenet!

I have ordered a Chilton's manual and that's probably a good idea given the
age of my car.

My worst nightmare would be that this is something more serious. Could I
request a buy-in from the Explorer guru, Mr. Warman?

Thanks to all,

Stephen

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 11:50 AM
Mikepier

Hopefully that will solve your noise problem. If not, well then we got
to look deeper. But the stabilizer bar bushings are a good start.

Old July 23rd 05, 07:35 PM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Mike,

Thank you for your help. I did everything you advised. It appeared that
the bushings had a waffle-like design inside, so I used a general purpose
grease that I picked up at NAPA. It was purple in color. I felt that a
spray on lubricant would not fill or stay in the waffle-like pockets.

I also considered replacing the bushings with new ones, so I contacted the
local Ford dealer. They said the bushings had been recalled which peaked my
interest. Unfortunately, they did not have the replacement recall parts nor
did my VIN qualify for the recall. They said it was only certain models
manufactured at certain plants in certain years. But I would have to use
the recall replacement parts at my cost to replace them.

Anyway, after the process, my noise did not go away. Bummer. I was only
out $1.56 for the grease.

Mike, do you or anyone else have an idea what it is I have if not the
bushings?

Any further information on the recall of the stabilizer bar bushings would
be appreciated.

Remember that it has to be about 90 degrees or more for this to happen and I
did not have to be breaking, accelerating, or turning for it to happen.
It's a dull knocking sound and I can feel it the same time I hear it through
the steering wheel.

How about wheel bearings? Other suspension parts? Defective brake pads?
Power steering system components?

Again, let me thank you for your help. I am so glad this newsgroup exists.

Regards,

Stephen

oups.com...

Old July 26th 05, 02:39 PM
Mikepier

Sorry, I can't think of any other problems that would cause your
symptoms.

Old July 26th 05, 07:57 PM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Mike,

A ham radio buddy who has owned 5 explorers told me to spray silicon
lubricant on the front suspension parts of my car. I did that. The noise
"almost" went away. And considering that the problem is heat related, today
it was close to 100 degrees. I think I am closing in on the source of the
problem.

I welcome your further suggestions or those from others who have experienced
the "knocking" symptom.

Meanwhile, I have re-contacted the local dealership to see if they have
further information on my particular problem. I'm fairly confident they
will not tell me more, but I will post to help others.

Thanks again Mike,

Stephen

oups.com...

Old August 4th 05, 11:28 PM
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

Here's a current update, Mike,

I took my car to the local dealership on Thursday of last week. My car was
at the dealership overnight. They diagnosed the problem as damaged
catalytic converters. They told me they would replace both of them for
$2000. They advised me to go to an independent shop which I did on Friday
when I got my car back.

That did not solve the problem. So now I am out $37.50 for the bogus
diagnosis and $369 for the converters.

This week, in fact yesterday, I took the car back to the local dealership
because it was warm enough for the symptom to occur. Their mechanic saw the
problem but they were too busy to work on it the same day. So I took my car
back to them today (Thursday 8/4). I just got a call saying that even
though the problem was completely evident when I dropped the car off at 11
AM, they still haven't figured it out. So here I am without my car again.

I will keep you and the group up to date with my experience in hopes that
others can benefit from my experience.

Thanks Again,

Stephen

"Mikepier" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry, I can't think of any other problems that would cause your
> symptoms.

Need advice: droning, humming noise from front (40 MPH) Emily Steed VW air cooled 6 April 7th 05 06:09 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 4 February 2nd 05 06:22 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 01:59 AM
front end noise kevin neault Saturn 7 July 3rd 04 02:24 PM