Fender for '74 Super Beetle

Old July 15th 05, 12:47 AM
azazel scratch

Default Fender for '74 Super Beetle

I picked up a right front fender for my '74 Super Beetle from the VW
wrecking yard. After I got it home I tried to see if I could bolt it to
my car and found that none of the fender holes line up. The fender also
seems to be the wrong "shape" for my car. The fender had the original
Volkswagen headlamp and turn signal lamp.

The fender has the right cut-outs for my bumper. Did I get an
aftermarket fender?
Should all '73 - '79 fenders fit all '73 - '79 Super Beetles?

Thanks in advance

Old July 15th 05, 01:38 AM
Speedy Jim

azazel scratch wrote:
> I picked up a right front fender for my '74 Super Beetle from the VW
> wrecking yard. After I got it home I tried to see if I could bolt it to
> my car and found that none of the fender holes line up. The fender also
> seems to be the wrong "shape" for my car. The fender had the original
> Volkswagen headlamp and turn signal lamp.
>
> The fender has the right cut-outs for my bumper. Did I get an
> aftermarket fender?
> Should all '73 - '79 fenders fit all '73 - '79 Super Beetles?
>
> Thanks in advance

Gotcha!

The frt fenders on Supers are different from Std Beetles.
You want a '74 and up SUPER fender.
Note that '73 had the old bumpers.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 15th 05, 03:00 AM
Ben Boyle

What makes this even more complicated is only '74 and '75 had Super sedans. Any Super Beetle from '76-UP is a
Convertible.

BTW: I too have a '74 Super! I'd say he got a standard Beetle fender.

Old July 15th 05, 05:39 AM
Funkie

I remember owning a 73 sunroof sedan. Did my car not exists, Ben? Actually
71 and 72 Super Sedans had relatively flat windshields but not sure if the
fenders were different.

shek it out http://1302super.com/nonflash_index.html

73 had the first curved windshields and midway through the year they changed
from the 1302 strut to the 1303 type. I owned a 73 1302 type, curved shield
and old linkage style.

Anyway, you obviously picked up a 74 standard bug fender rather than a 74
super bug fender.

Old July 15th 05, 05:50 AM
Ben Boyle

Read the post, in his situation a '73 Super Beetle is useless due to different openings for the bumper brackets. I
didn't state anywhere in the post that Super Beetles did not exist in previous years.

'73 Super fenders are a one year only beast. Fenders in his case would be '74-'79 but post '75 things get difficult due
to the relatively few convertibles that were made.

Old July 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Shag

You know what I'm wondering? Did Funkie's hood have a VW emblem on
it...? :-) *backs away from keyboard slowly*....