Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 4th 05, 02:26 AM
Taz

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> Julian Edge > wrote:
>
>> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter
>> disappointment
>> with BMW.

> <mode="smug", class="git">
>
> Remember when I told you that a four pot BMW was a bag of ****e?
>
> </mode>
>
> That fluttering is the sound of Pigeons coming home to roost.

I quite liked my old 316 2 door with a carb. Drove like a GoKart, cost me
£50, lasted 3 years. Ended in tears when neigbours son forgot to put his
handbrake on and minced the drivers door. Got my £50 back though.
That's a real BMW. Disposable.

Old March 4th 05, 02:28 AM
John Redman

"Julian Edge" > wrote

> In April 2001, I purchased an 'Approved' 318i from a dealership near High
> Wycombe.

Well, it's a volume car, isn't it? ISTR that BMW make more 3 series than
Ford make Mondeos. You wouldn't expect a 9-year-old Mondeo to last 9 years,
and nor can you really expect a BMW to do so. If a Mondeo cost what a
3-series BM costs, would you automatically expect it to last longer? Just
because they are hyped and overpriced to fund all the advertising, that
doesn't mean the cars are actually any good. You only have to look at a lot
of the people who drive them to see they are not marketed at the discerning.

Old March 4th 05, 02:33 AM
dizzy

On 3 Mar 2005 22:28:02 GMT, Adrian > wrote:

>Grunff ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
>saying :
>
>>> I've had a ****ing ball driving it.

>> Really?? Not driven many cars then? I've driven an e36 318, and it was
>> by far the least satisfying bmw I ever drove.

>I had two. They were *almost* the least satisfying cars of ANY type I've
>ever driven. Truly over-rated.
>
>The Proton was the worst.
>
>Second worst was the E36 328 touring with Alpina suspension and rims. ****,
>that was TRULY AWFUL. It was also only about a year old at the time. I've
>never been in such a hideously uncomfortable car.

We have to get you Brits involved in more of our discussions. 8)

Old March 4th 05, 09:49 AM
Adrian

Steve Walker ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>>Second worst was the E36 328 touring with Alpina suspension and rims.
>>****, that was TRULY AWFUL. It was also only about a year old at the
>>time. I've never been in such a hideously uncomfortable car.

> Stiffened suspension and big alloys with rubberband tyres, by any
> chance? That would give any car a ride like a tin plate sliding down
> the stairs, though.

Oh, sure. However, many people think that's a *good* thing - look at the
number of BMWs on pimprims.

Hell, they'd cost many £000s on top of an already expensive car.
Old March 4th 05, 09:50 AM
Alex Buell

On 04 Mar 2005 00:27:32 +0000, August West > wrote:

>"Michael Rodgers" > writes:
>
>> "Alex Buell" > wrote in message=20
>> > I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 =

miles,
>> > and now you're writing it off. I'm due to pay =A31,309 for my latest
>> > service plus MOT and repairs on my Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet, and she's
>> > done 187,000 miles.

>>=20
>> Gotta love German reliability.=20

>And the crushing boredom that goes with driving an Audi...

I'll get you some day.

Cheers,
Alex.
--=20
http://www.munted.org.uk
Old March 4th 05, 11:12 AM
Willy Eckerslyke

Taz wrote:

> I quite liked my old 316 2 door with a carb. Drove like a GoKart, cost me
> £50, lasted 3 years. Ended in tears when neigbours son forgot to put his
> handbrake on and minced the drivers door. Got my £50 back though.
> That's a real BMW. Disposable.

You said it. My one and only BMW cost me nothing and I made over 650
quid disposing of it in bits on Ebay. That makes it the best car I ever
owned!
Old March 4th 05, 11:49 AM
Andy Turner

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:25:20 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

>Julian Edge > wrote:
>
>> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
>> with BMW.

><mode="smug", class="git">
>
>Remember when I told you that a four pot BMW was a bag of ****e?
>
></mode>

If that's supposed to be XML, it needs work!

andyt

Old March 4th 05, 11:54 AM
Michael Rodgers

"John Redman" om> wrote in
message ...
> If a Mondeo cost what a 3-series BM costs, would you automatically expect
> it to last longer?

Looking at the original purchase invoice which is stuck with the service
history, it seems my Mondeo *did* cost more than his 3 Series BM cost. A few
grand more infact.

Old March 4th 05, 12:41 PM
Michael Rodgers

"Krustov" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've heard it said if you go into bmw dealership wearing jeans and a
> tee shirt they totally ignore you and wont even speak to you .
>
> Must get around to actually trying it sometime :-)

We did that. They could not have been more helpful if they tried. Test
drives of anything we wanted, unaccompanied, etc.

Old March 4th 05, 12:51 PM
Steve Walker

In message > , Adrian
> writes
>Steve Walker ) gurgled happily, sounding much
>like they were saying :
>
>>>Second worst was the E36 328 touring with Alpina suspension and rims.
>>>****, that was TRULY AWFUL. It was also only about a year old at the
>>>time. I've never been in such a hideously uncomfortable car.

>> Stiffened suspension and big alloys with rubberband tyres, by any
>> chance? That would give any car a ride like a tin plate sliding down
>> the stairs, though.

>Oh, sure. However, many people think that's a *good* thing - look at the
>number of BMWs on pimprims.

I suppose it's their teeth which are rattling out, and their wallet
which is emptied. The German tuning houses seem to be Max Power for rich
people, prompting the upmarket version of "why spend 10K tuning a base
model Corsa when you could buy a decent hot hatch for less?". Spending
911 money on a pimped 3-Series just doesn't make sense.

--
Steve Walker