popping sound from front end

Old July 20th 04, 02:09 AM
Bitter Dave

Default popping sound from front end

I've got an 86.5 Nissan Truck 4x2 thats making a very annoying popping
sound from the front left suspension. It happens when:

- switching directions (forward to reverse and vice versa) when using
the brakes (more so with the wheels turned)
- releasing the brakes after coming to a stop (and then accelerating)
- easing up on the brakes after braking hard
- taking sharp turns in a parking lot

The front end also feels a little "loose" when driving over speed
bumps or entering driveways at an angle. I've noticed a little play
in the wheels when grabbing the top of the tire and I push/pull on it,
but I'm told that its within spec. I don't seem to get an axial play
though.

I've had the upper control arm bushing replace, the tension rod
bushings replaced, and also new shocks.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? I torqued all the
front suspension to spec about a year ago. Could loose wheel bearings
or ball joints cause this? I don't seem to get any other kind of noise.

Thanks,
Dave
Old July 20th 04, 04:01 AM
Jim

Bitter Dave wrote:

> I've got an 86.5 Nissan Truck 4x2 thats making a very annoying popping
> sound from the front left suspension. It happens when:
>
> - switching directions (forward to reverse and vice versa) when using
> the brakes (more so with the wheels turned)
> - releasing the brakes after coming to a stop (and then accelerating)
> - easing up on the brakes after braking hard
> - taking sharp turns in a parking lot
>
> The front end also feels a little "loose" when driving over speed bumps
> or entering driveways at an angle. I've noticed a little play in the
> wheels when grabbing the top of the tire and I push/pull on it, but I'm
> told that its within spec. I don't seem to get an axial play though.
>
> I've had the upper control arm bushing replace, the tension rod bushings
> replaced, and also new shocks.
>
> Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? I torqued all the
> front suspension to spec about a year ago. Could loose wheel bearings
> or ball joints cause this? I don't seem to get any other kind of noise.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Could be lots of things...
Old July 20th 04, 07:12 AM
Steve T

Bitter Dave wrote:

> Could loose wheel bearings
> or ball joints cause this? I don't seem to get any other kind of noise.

Sounds like posible worn ball joints but over the net, it could be anything.
Without looking at it, we're just guessing. You need to either read up on
how to corectly check the front end or find someone you trust to do it for
you. Pushing the tire in and out isn't how you check the front end parts
for wear.

--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com

Strange sound KoStAhR Alfa Romeo 0 August 31st 04 11:07 PM
Jingling sound from leaf spring shackle dcbryan 4x4 5 July 5th 04 06:47 PM
88 Suzuki - Front end problem xyzzy 4x4 14 March 13th 04 07:43 PM
Hum/Vibration in front of of '95 Explorer Mr. Knowitall 4x4 0 December 17th 03 11:28 PM