88 Dakota 3.9 issue

Old November 7th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
bruce

Default 88 Dakota 3.9 issue

I know from my Haynes manual that there are marks inside on the crank
and cam gears, but that is not something I want to disassemble to get
to. Lets see... PS pump, alternator, smog pump, water pump all need
to come off.... Not something I want to undertake casually.

As to how I know what stroke my piston is at, I was at TDC on the
exhaust stroke, since my distributor was 180 out from number 1. It's
got to be one or the other, either TDC at on the compression stroke
with distributor pointed at #1, or as I found it...

Now, that doesn't mean I couldn't be just one tooth off, which could
probably prevent starting. After I validate that I've got proper gas
flow to the carb, the next step would be to pull off the valve cover
on one side and observe how the valves are situated when they come up
on TDC of the exhaust stroke...

Old November 7th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

bruce wrote:
> I know from my Haynes manual that there are marks inside on the crank
> and cam gears, but that is not something I want to disassemble to get
> to. Lets see... PS pump, alternator, smog pump, water pump all need
> to come off.... Not something I want to undertake casually.

Its not that bad, really.

But you should still find the slot on the harmonic balancer and make
sure it aligns within a few degrees of the O degree mark on the timing
cover. You'll have to clean away some dirt and grime to find them, but
given that this is an 88 carbureted 3.8, the whole front of the engine
should look EXACTLY like an '88 318 v8.

88 Dakota 3.9 issue bruce Technology 11 November 7th 08 02:26 PM
dakota cold start issue Greg and Candy Dodge 0 January 22nd 08 09:56 PM
95 dakota transfer case issue!!!!!!!!!!!! 3l1t3 Chrysler 4 June 27th 07 08:27 PM
Unknown Module Found in Dakota - 2007 Dakota Abby.Normal Dodge 17 April 16th 07 03:32 AM
1994 Dodge Dakota turn signal/brake lights issue Vic Dodge 5 May 26th 05 11:00 PM