1996 GT Convert

Old March 20th 05, 12:01 PM
gjt

Default 1996 GT Convert

Well group.....

Years ago I re-did three 1966 stangs. While the '66 model year has a
special place in my heart, I swore I would never have an old one again.
The last one I did had metal fatigue and the now infamous cracks in
both rear quarters at the rear quarter windows.

In 2000, I bought a used 1996 GT Convertible with about 63,000 miles on
it. Forest green, camel leather/top, premium wheels. Loved it. My
mistake....it was a daily driver. I am not a small fella, so the daily
grind of getting in and out of it in small, tight parking spaces became
a chore. So....I traded my stang for an extended cab Silverado. I do
not regret the Silverado, but lamented getting rid of my convertible stang.

In May of 2004, a Miata caught my eye. Nice little car, good price. I
bought it (I know, blasphemy to a real Stanger!) We used it as our,
"let's go get some Ice Cream or a Snow Cone" car on Sunday afternoons.
It was fun, but it was no Mustang. Sold it in December '04 for $250
less than I paid for it.

I have been looking seriously for another Mustang for about a month.
There was not much available where I live that was not ragged out and
with high milage, so I started looking on the Internet (Ebay,
Autotrader). I missed out on what I thought were a couple of good buys.
I did notice that the Mustangs are hot and bring high prices. I
believe the 2005 Mustangs are so popular, that they have had a positive
ripple effect on the pricing of the entire Mustang line for all years
(excluding Mustang IIs of course).

I happened on to one this past week listed in Autotrader. I guess it
was fate, as the owner said the ad had only been on Autotrader for one
hour before I called. Excellent price, 60K miles, Original owner, bone
stock 1996 Convertible GT. It is the exact same color scheme as the 96
GT I had a few years back only in much better shape. It has to be the
cleanest nine year old car I have ever seen. I met the owner at a local
eatery, drove it five minutes and new I had to have it. We did the deal
right there and I drove it home the next day.

I still have the Truck as a daily driver, but now I have a Mustang as my
Ice Cream car. It is wonderful to be able to say I have a Mustang GT
Convertible sitting in my garage. Something about that phrase...Mustang
GT Converible. As an aside, since my initials are GT, I couldn't help
getting a plate that says, "GT's GT"

Regards,
GJT

Old March 20th 05, 12:52 PM
SVTKate

Nice story.
Best body style they ever made too!
(dons flame resistant suit)

I had to shake my head a little when you said you were a big guy, then
bought a Miata. "What was he thinking!!??"

Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

. ..

Old March 20th 05, 09:10 PM

Ditto, Kate =).

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

nk.net...