Car will not start in cold weather, Why?

Old January 6th 05, 02:55 PM
Aaron

Default Car will not start in cold weather, Why?

I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s.
It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the
engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used
to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but
I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Does anyone have any
ideas? Thanks

Aaron

Old January 6th 05, 03:26 PM
Jim McQuade

Years ago I had the same problem and after several trips to the local
shop it was determined that the incorrect viscosity oil was put in. The
oil was changed and the problem went away.

Old January 6th 05, 03:59 PM
Aaron

I had the oil changed after the first time it happened at the Ford
dealership and it happened again. I did not ask them about this when I
was there since it was running fine at the time. I guess I was hoping
the problem would just go away if I waited long enough. That is very
interesting that the viscosity of the oil could cause a car not to
start. I would have never guessed that! I don't think the dealer
would put the wrong oil viscosity in my car twice in a row, would they?

Old January 6th 05, 04:28 PM
rw

Aaron wrote:
> I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s.
> It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the
> engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used
> to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but
> I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Does anyone have any
> ideas? Thanks
>
> Aaron

My guess is that your (automatic) choke is not working properly.

BTW, my recently purchased '66 Mustang has a manual choke, which I
thought was stock, but my mechanic (who specializes in Mustangs -- Eliot
at Mustang Corral in San Jose) said it isn't -- that automatic chokes
were stock. Anyway, the manual choke wasn't closing completely, causing
poor starting in cold weather, but now it's fixed and the starting is fine.

I'm about to leave to pick up this car with newly installed disc brakes
and a new alternator.

Old January 6th 05, 04:32 PM
Jim McQuade

Well I hope they would not do it twice. I was driving a VW at the time
and just happened to look at a repair bill and noticed that the
incorrect oil was put in and told they dealer that my guess it was the
oil viscosity. Sure enough it was the problem.

Just saw that I was loged in as Jim McQuade ( that is my real name) as
I was loged in at work for the Rec. Marine Group. Previous posts have
been under Martin.
20O2 GT 5 spd currently in winter storage.
243 rwhp
285 rwtq

Old January 6th 05, 07:19 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Aaron" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s.
> It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the
> engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used
> to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but
> I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Does anyone have any
> ideas? Thanks

Your explorer is fuel injected. I had a problem with a fuel injected car
that wouldn't start in the cold. Turned out to be mostly electrical related.
Was getting enough juice to turn over, but with the starter drawing all that
current it wasn't getting enough tio fire the injector. It cranked and
cranked but wouldnt' start unless you put gas or started fluid down the
throttle body. Just a thought... Also, try alt.autos.ford. Your Explorer is
OT here, so you will probably get better answers in the ford group.

Old January 6th 05, 08:15 PM
Rein

On 6 Jan 2005 06:55:48 -0800, "Aaron" > wrote:

>I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s.
>It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the
>engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used
>to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but
>I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Does anyone have any
>ideas? Thanks
>
>Aaron

Doubt the oil would make a difference.
Does it crank okay or slow ?
I would have the stored codes checked for any errors. There might be
something wrong with the electronics, maybe a temperature sensor that
thinks the engine is warm enough and you don't need extra fuel to get
it started ?

A lot of carparts stores let you borrow their code readers for free,
some even read the codes for you.