How many miles should I be getting on a full tank?

Old June 14th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

Default How many miles should I be getting on a full tank?

lbbss turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> I am getting 300km or 187miles, how bad is that? tx

That depends. If you're driving a Vespa scooter, I'd say you're doing pretty
good.

If you're driving my Avalanche with a 26 gallon tank (for which I usually go
between 450 and 550 miles), I'd say you're having an issue.

What are you driving?

powered by the lizard: www.opensuse.org
Old June 24th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

on a 2002 SL1 , which has a 12.5Gal tank, you should be properly achieving
between 300 and 400 miles per tank (US gallons). 187miles (US ) on a tank of
gas is really bad.

--
marx404

_________________

Old June 24th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
oppie

Everything else aside, the formulation of the gas is a big factor. Ethanol
has, as I recall, only 60% of the energy that a gallon of 'traditional'
gasoline has. As they increase the ethanol content in fuels, the MPG will
decrease.
If you wish to check this out, look up BTU of various fuels.

Seems that 300-400 miles on a tank is a design standard. My lw300 gets 300+
city and about 400 miles highway per 16 gallon tank. I generally refill when
the warning light comes on (equal to two gallons remaining). Lately, I've
been very light on the gas pedal, keeping to 55 mph and putting it in
neutral to coast on downgrades. Picked up a good 10% in mileage. I'm toying
with how to put an override on the transmission control to shift manually
and control the lock up torque converter. Seems tuned for power rather than
economy and I don't get the feeling that the Saturn techs really know how to
retune. Heck, they could never figure how to keep the speed control from
downshifting two gears and rocketing up to 6000 rpm on a slight upgrade. I
figured it more simple to just turn off the speed control when approaching
an upgrade.
Oppie

Old June 24th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Oppie, you could always look into one of those performance control modules,
they run abuot $300. and you can tweak and tune fuel, throttle, shift
points, timing etc...

I have seen them used on Mustangs and IONs, very effective once you learn
how to use them. Seen em on Autoanything.com

--
marx404

_________________

Old June 24th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Good tip, will check it out.

Old June 29th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom Joyce

"lbbss" > wrote in message
>I am getting 300km or 187miles, how bad is that? tx

That sounds bad no matter what model. I just got a 2001 SC2. Around town,
I'm at 28 mpg typically. This last tank I went down to 24 mpg somehow.
Maybe somebody siphoned off a few gallons. On my only long highway trip
with it, I got 38 mpg. This is with the automatic transmission so I'm
pretty happy with the highway mileage.
I keep trying to tell my friends, if you drive like me, you'll get good
mileage. I don't launch from every stop sign. Hardly ever get the tack
over 2,500. Coast up to stoplights and stop signs. I see other people
racing around here like gas is 89 cents a gallon. Maybe they can afford it.
Keep the car tuned, tires up to recommended pressure and a light foot on the
gas and your gas mileage will surely go up.
Tom