transmission problem '98 accord

Old August 8th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default transmission problem '98 accord

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on a transmission problem. It's a 4 speed
automatic, 98 accord lx, 91k miles. When cold, it stays in first gear
for a really long time, then slams into second gear. Sometimes after
slamming into second gear and comming to a stop, it takes off in what
seems like second gear. I got mad one time and floored it in first
gear and wound it up to a kind of high RPM, and it shifted/slammed into
second then eventually through all the gears just fine. It seemed as
though that "fixed" the problem for a few short days, then went back to
needing to be warmed up/babying first gear for a long time/slow rpm,
then it gets going into shifting ok. Will a flush/service help? I
seem to remember an old friend with a similar Honda tranny problem, and
was told it needed to be fixed asap, and it wound up lasting a few more
years, any thoughts on this? Also, any guestimate as to the cost of a
rebuilt one in Southern California?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Eddy

Old August 8th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
butch burton

wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for advice on a transmission problem. It's a 4 speed
> automatic, 98 accord lx, 91k miles. When cold, it stays in first gear
> for a really long time, then slams into second gear. Sometimes after
> slamming into second gear and comming to a stop, it takes off in what
> seems like second gear. I got mad one time and floored it in first
> gear and wound it up to a kind of high RPM, and it shifted/slammed into
> second then eventually through all the gears just fine. It seemed as
> though that "fixed" the problem for a few short days, then went back to
> needing to be warmed up/babying first gear for a long time/slow rpm,
> then it gets going into shifting ok. Will a flush/service help? I
> seem to remember an old friend with a similar Honda tranny problem, and
> was told it needed to be fixed asap, and it wound up lasting a few more
> years, any thoughts on this? Also, any guestimate as to the cost of a
> rebuilt one in Southern California?
>
> Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
>
> Eddy

When did you last change ATF and did you use Honda ATF. Did you check
the ATF level - when you do check the ATF level - smell the fluid and
daub a bit on something white like a porcelain cup to see the color -
if it smells burnt and is dark in color - fluid is burnt. Would
suggest anyone change the ATF every 30K and use only honda ATF.

Change the ATF several times using only Honda ATF - get it hot - drain
the ATF - takes around 3 quarts IIRC - check the manual - drive it for
50 miles or so - change it again and then one more time. If you are
lucky - it might be ok after that.

Here in the inexpensive midwest I have a guy who knows how to rebuild
honda trannies and he offered to do so replacing everything that wears
for $1,700. The places that rebuild trannies sometimes do terrible
work - they don't have the parts and do the rebuild wrong - took 3
trannies to finally get one that would work in a friends trailblazer.

Old August 8th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

butch burton wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for advice on a transmission problem. It's a 4 speed
> > automatic, 98 accord lx, 91k miles. When cold, it stays in first gear
> > for a really long time, then slams into second gear. Sometimes after
> > slamming into second gear and comming to a stop, it takes off in what
> > seems like second gear. I got mad one time and floored it in first
> > gear and wound it up to a kind of high RPM, and it shifted/slammed into
> > second then eventually through all the gears just fine. It seemed as
> > though that "fixed" the problem for a few short days, then went back to
> > needing to be warmed up/babying first gear for a long time/slow rpm,
> > then it gets going into shifting ok. Will a flush/service help? I
> > seem to remember an old friend with a similar Honda tranny problem, and
> > was told it needed to be fixed asap, and it wound up lasting a few more
> > years, any thoughts on this? Also, any guestimate as to the cost of a
> > rebuilt one in Southern California?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
> >
> > Eddy

> When did you last change ATF and did you use Honda ATF. Did you check
> the ATF level - when you do check the ATF level - smell the fluid and
> daub a bit on something white like a porcelain cup to see the color -
> if it smells burnt and is dark in color - fluid is burnt. Would
> suggest anyone change the ATF every 30K and use only honda ATF.
>
> Change the ATF several times using only Honda ATF - get it hot - drain
> the ATF - takes around 3 quarts IIRC - check the manual - drive it for
> 50 miles or so - change it again and then one more time. If you are
> lucky - it might be ok after that.
>
> Here in the inexpensive midwest I have a guy who knows how to rebuild
> honda trannies and he offered to do so replacing everything that wears
> for $1,700. The places that rebuild trannies sometimes do terrible
> work - they don't have the parts and do the rebuild wrong - took 3
> trannies to finally get one that would work in a friends trailblazer.

Thanks Mitch (for the fast reply as well as the knowledge),

I assume (wrongly i'm sure ) that Honda checked/serviced it before
selling it to me as a certified pre owned just over 3 years ago. Since
then I have had it checked but not changed, i work really close to home
so I only put about 15K on it during those 3 years.

I will definetly try your suggestion, sounds like you know what you're
talking about, and it sounds like it's worth a shot.

I really appreciate it!!