Daytona fuel smell

Old January 27th 05, 10:11 PM
backally

Default Daytona fuel smell

I have a '86 Dodge Daytona with the 2.2 turbo, 115K miles. The last
month or two I noticed after putting it in the garage that there is a
fuel smell about a half hour later. I could not find any leaks
anywhere. Recently I noticed it while driving, pulled over and found a
slight smoke coming from the area of the injectors. I pulled off the
fuel rail and replaced the injector O rings. Everything else looked
good...fuel rail, lines, clamps. However, that didn't fix the problem.
I don't see any leaks or wet spots anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem? Any other suggestions on what this
could be other than replace the O rings again? I hate to replace all
the injectors at $50 apiece without knowing that is the problem. Is it
possible to pull off the fuel rail and pressure test the rail with the
injectors on it?

Thanks in advance

Old January 27th 05, 11:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, backally wrote:

> I have a '86 Dodge Daytona with the 2.2 turbo, 115K miles. The last
> month or two I noticed after putting it in the garage that there is a
> fuel smell about a half hour later. I could not find any leaks
> anywhere. Recently I noticed it while driving, pulled over and found a
> slight smoke coming from the area of the injectors. I pulled off the
> fuel rail and replaced the injector O rings. Everything else looked
> good...fuel rail, lines, clamps. However, that didn't fix the problem.
> I don't see any leaks or wet spots anywhere.

Look *VERY* carefully at the two flex lines that connect your fuel rail
(on the engine) to the hard fuel lines (on the body), at the right rear
corner of the engine bay. I have seen MANY "car-B-que" messes that started
out as turbo Mopars 'cause these lines failed. If you replace them, you
MUST use EFI hose marked SAE 30R9. Do not attempt to use any other hose
(30R6, 30R7, etc.) unless you have a death wish.

Old January 27th 05, 11:10 PM
backally

I did replace oteh line to the fuel regulator while I had the rail
off...it was cracked pretty good. Don't know the SAE number, but is
was line rated for fuel injection systems. I will check the other when
I get home next week, it looked good but it may be worth it just
replacing it. I do think they were dry though when I looked at them
though.

Thanks

Old January 27th 05, 11:41 PM
maxpower

The other most important thing to do when you replace the hose is make sure
to use the fuel clamps with rolled edges. These are made for fuel injection
system. If you use the old style hose clamps it will cut into the hose and
cause other problems.
I have replaced many fuel rails on those vehicles in the past becuase they
develope leaks so pay attention to the rail too

Also if my memory serves me correctly, there was a recall out on the 85
turbo and I think it covered 86 also for replacement of the fuel regulator
for fuel leak, I believe it was recall 430 so make sure you had that done

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 12:17 AM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, backally wrote:
>

>>I have a '86 Dodge Daytona with the 2.2 turbo, 115K miles. The last
>>month or two I noticed after putting it in the garage that there is a
>>fuel smell about a half hour later. I could not find any leaks
>>anywhere. Recently I noticed it while driving, pulled over and found a
>>slight smoke coming from the area of the injectors. I pulled off the
>>fuel rail and replaced the injector O rings. Everything else looked
>>good...fuel rail, lines, clamps. However, that didn't fix the problem.
>>I don't see any leaks or wet spots anywhere.

> Look *VERY* carefully at the two flex lines that connect your fuel rail
> (on the engine) to the hard fuel lines (on the body), at the right rear
> corner of the engine bay. I have seen MANY "car-B-que" messes that started
> out as turbo Mopars 'cause these lines failed. If you replace them, you
> MUST use EFI hose marked SAE 30R9. Do not attempt to use any other hose
> (30R6, 30R7, etc.) unless you have a death wish.

And use the smooth high-pressure hose clamps as well. Which reminds me,
I need to do the same to the Porsche... garage used regular worm
clamps, which I don't like. I would love to replace it with Aeroquip or
similar, but don't have the right flaring tool for the flares to the AN
fittings (and I will probably be selling the car soon anyway.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 28th 05, 01:02 AM
maxpower

oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 11:15 PM
backally

Thanks all, I am on the road until next week but will double check all
the hoses and clamps when I get home. I looked at them when I had the
injectors out and they looked good but will look again. I also found
out that there was a recall (#430 as MaxPower said...good memory) on
the fuel regulator leaking in cold weather that I will look into when I
get back to balmy Wisconsin. I will also look the whole area over good
with the system under pressure ( I can do that just by key in run
possition, right?) and may end up inspecting/replacing the injector O
rings again as that is a cheap and fast double check.

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 04:31 AM
Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure Miki Technology 25 December 30th 04 01:07 AM
fuel leakage / smell? Ed Botwinik VW air cooled 12 November 12th 04 04:49 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM