'99 Intrepid trunk release problem

Old July 24th 05, 01:16 AM
Randy

Should I be starting to look for a disconnected wire at the BCM? Where
is it? Are there numbers or any other sort of ID on the wires coming
out of it?

Old July 24th 05, 02:16 AM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:
> Should I be starting to look for a disconnected wire at the BCM? Where
> is it? Are there numbers or any other sort of ID on the wires coming
> out of it?

BCM is in the Junction Block - that's the fuse panel at the driver's
left foot kick panel. It has 4 connectors: grey, black, white, blue..
That BK/WT wire is in the grey connector. It's pin no. 1, so of course
should be at the end of the connector.

Before doing anything else, you might try pulling the fuse for the BCM
for a few minutes to reset it. Sometimes problems like this are fixed
by doing that - too easy, I know, but worth a try. Fuse No. 19 in the
Power Distribution Center - under the hood on driver's side towards front.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 24th 05, 02:21 AM
Randy

Yes, I've tried it in Park and Neutral with the ignition on and off,
neither works.
Where can I find the BCM output. I suppose I may as well start from
that end and work my way to the back end!

Old July 24th 05, 03:09 AM
tim bur

bcm was a big issue for this complaint

Old July 24th 05, 03:49 AM
Randy

I gave up for today! My back is sore from trying to crawl in under the
dash to find that @#$$# BCM and the grey plug. Surely Chrylser could
have made it a little easier to get at! I've finally managed to unplug
the grey plug and tomorrow I will see if I have continuity from the BCM
end of the Bk/Wt wire to the trunk end of the same wire. I'd like to
see if the BCM terminal is actually energizing but I think the only way
to actually see anything in there would be to dismantle half of the
car!
Thanks for all the help guys.

Old July 24th 05, 12:15 PM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:

> I gave up for today! My back is sore from trying to crawl in under the
> dash to find that @#$$# BCM and the grey plug. Surely Chrylser could
> have made it a little easier to get at! I've finally managed to unplug
> the grey plug and tomorrow I will see if I have continuity from the BCM
> end of the Bk/Wt wire to the trunk end of the same wire. I'd like to
> see if the BCM terminal is actually energizing but I think the only way
> to actually see anything in there would be to dismantle half of the
> car!
> Thanks for all the help guys.

Did you try pulling fuse 19 in the engine compartment to reset the BCM?
I would do that before doing anymore troubleshooting - as I said
before, it may or may not fix the problem, but for the small effort to
do it, it's certainly worth a try - and it just might work.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 24th 05, 03:02 PM
Randy

Bill, I couldn't identify Fuse No. 19 in the Pwr Dist Ctr so I left
them all out for several minutes! According to the owner's manual No.
19 fuse is actually located on the fuse panel inside the car.
Just to clarify how the circuit works........... when I depress the
trunk release button the signal is sent from the button to the BCM and
then the BCM energizes the trunk release if all the perameters are met,
i.e., trans in N or P?????
If this is correct then I should be able tie in a short lead off the
Blk/W wire coming from the BCM to verify that the BCM is actually
transmitting the signal. I suppose that before I do this I'll have to
crawl back under the dash and try to manipulate the grey plug back in
place..... I'm not looking forward to it!

Old July 24th 05, 05:00 PM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:

> Bill, I couldn't identify Fuse No. 19 in the Pwr Dist Ctr so I left
> them all out for several minutes! According to the owner's manual No.
> 19 fuse is actually located on the fuse panel inside the car.

I apologize - you are right - it's #19 in the Junction Block.

> Just to clarify how the circuit works........... when I depress the
> trunk release button the signal is sent from the button to the BCM and
> then the BCM energizes the trunk release if all the perameters are met,
> i.e., trans in N or P?????

Correct.

> If this is correct then I should be able tie in a short lead off the
> Blk/W wire coming from the BCM to verify that the BCM is actually
> transmitting the signal. I suppose that before I do this I'll have to
> crawl back under the dash and try to manipulate the grey plug back in
> place..... I'm not looking forward to it!

You can stick a straight pin thru the insulation of the wire to touch
with the meter lead.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 24th 05, 05:02 PM
Greg Houston

Randy wrote:

> I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
> problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
> car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
> I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
> I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
> it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
> power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
> have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
> there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

Hi Randy, I had this exact same problem with my 99 Intrepid. At first
it was intermittent so I really couldn't do anything about it. Finally
one time when I was getting service the trunk release was not working at
the dealer while they were checking me in. The dealer looked at it and
eventually found the cause was a bad wire in the wiring harness to the
trunk. Unfortunately I don't know/remember where the bad spot was.

I recall that it took them a while to diagnose/fix. Apparently they
burned out the BCM in the process. (The trunk release signal comes from
the BCM). Then they obtained a "remanufactured" BCM to replace and
that was either bad or they burned it out too. Finally they obtained a
new BCM and everything worked fine with the repair, except for the alarm
which I had to return for them to activate. Fortunately for me this
was all done under warranty and I think they even paid for a rental car
as it took a few days to wait for parts and fix while the car was torn
open to get to the wires.

On my car the trunk release only works in PARK, and not in NEUTRAL. It
works with the ignition on or off.

So the best advice I can tell you is to get a wiring diagram, check for
continuity at various places, and be sure to disconnect power to
protect the BCM while you're working on the wires. I haven't seen any
TSBs on this.
Old July 24th 05, 05:34 PM
Bill Putney

Greg Houston wrote:

> Randy wrote:
>
>> I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
>> problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
>> car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
>> I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
>> I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
>> it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
>> power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
>> have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
>> there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

> Hi Randy, I had this exact same problem with my 99 Intrepid. At first
> it was intermittent so I really couldn't do anything about it. Finally
> one time when I was getting service the trunk release was not working at
> the dealer while they were checking me in. The dealer looked at it and
> eventually found the cause was a bad wire in the wiring harness to the
> trunk. Unfortunately I don't know/remember where the bad spot was.
>
> I recall that it took them a while to diagnose/fix. Apparently they
> burned out the BCM in the process. (The trunk release signal comes from
> the BCM). Then they obtained a "remanufactured" BCM to replace and
> that was either bad or they burned it out too. Finally they obtained a
> new BCM and everything worked fine with the repair, except for the alarm
> which I had to return for them to activate. Fortunately for me this
> was all done under warranty and I think they even paid for a rental car
> as it took a few days to wait for parts and fix while the car was torn
> open to get to the wires.
>
> On my car the trunk release only works in PARK, and not in NEUTRAL. It
> works with the ignition on or off.
>
> So the best advice I can tell you is to get a wiring diagram, check for
> continuity at various places, and be sure to disconnect power to
> protect the BCM while you're working on the wires. I haven't seen any
> TSBs on this.

Good post, Greg!

Randy - Greg is right - the trunk release does on work in Park (not
neutral) - I just went out and confirmed that. That's strike 2 for me in
this thread! But we have narrowed it down to BCm or the wire, and it is
encouraging to know that Greg had the same problem and it was the wire
and not the BCM (initially anyway).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')