90 XJ Cruise Troubleshooting

Old July 24th 05, 03:21 PM
Dana Rohleder

Default 90 XJ Cruise Troubleshooting

Hi,

My cruise worked sporadically when I bought my 90 XJ I6 a couple months ago,
and after I got it back from the dealership that performed some other work
on the vehicle, it doesn't work at all. All fuses, connections, vacuum seems
good, but I suspect the switch or connector for the switch may have been
"left asunder" by the crack staff at my Jeep garage when they tore it apart
to change my key cylinder. I have the tilt column, and was wondering if
there is an easy way to check the function of the switch without ripping the
column apart.

If that isn't the problem, can anyone suggest an order that I should go
about replacing parts to troubleshoot? AllData says Jeep has a tester for
the cruise system, but I really don't want to take it back there because
they have proven to be incompetent. Is there a part in the cruise system
that tends to crap out first on the XJ's?

--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old July 24th 05, 03:31 PM
Dave Milne

Ripping the column apart is dead easy - disconnect the battery (most
important), undo 2 screws at the back of the column, check you disconnected
the battery again (!), remove airbag cover, remove airbag connector, lift
out airbag carefully and the T wiring going to each of the 2 switches and
the clockspring is apparent. 15 min job to disassemble.

When you said it "worked sporadically" before, what were the symptoms ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 24th 05, 03:55 PM
Dana Rohleder

I may be mistaken about the sporadic nature at first - I only had the car
for a week or two before I took it to Jeep for extensive repairs. At first,
it just didn't seem to work at all. But a few days later, I realized it was
just "sluggish" - ie. it took about 5 seconds for the cable to take up the
slack - or at least that's what it seemed like it was doing. After I
realized that, I believe it worked most of the time. Unfortunately, I can't
remember because I was more concerned with more important problems, that I
ended up correcting myself after $3k was spent at Jeep. When I got it back,
the cruise didn't function at all.

When I disconnect the vacuum line after the car has sat for several hours
there is a hiss, so it is holding vacuum OK. I suspect the fault is either
in the control module under the dash (connections tight & clean), or the
switch itself.

Another possible red herring - the dealership installed a recall item on the
brake switch that locks the shifter unless the brake is depressed. I am
wondering if this installation may have been botched, telling my cruise that
the brake is on. However, it seems to operate correctly, the brake lights
aren't on all the time or anything. I would assume it is either engaged or
disengaged. I would assume the identical signal is sent to the cruise
control module, but perhaps there are two switches.

No airbags on this baby, so the column should come apart a little quicker.
But the manual shows some sort of tool for depressing something to get the
wheel off. That is why I balked. Also, there seems to be a small trap door
at the bottom of the column where it contacts the dash. Can that just be
pried out, or will I break it?
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

. uk...

Old July 24th 05, 04:08 PM
Dave Milne

Ok, its obviously slightly different to the TJ/ later XJ one. If it is
taking 5 seconds for the cable to take up the slack, perhaps it isn't
holding a vaccuum as well as you think. The TJ takes its sensor from the
normal brake light switch + clutch interlock switch, so I doubt that
whatever got installed is at fault. Do you have to take the wheel off to see
if the wires are making it to the steering wheel switches ? I wouldn't have
thought so ; you don't for the airbag version which has the switches on the
wheel.

Old July 24th 05, 09:21 PM
Howard

IIRC the 90 XJ has a trun signal mounted cruise control. The steering
column is a Saginaw (GM) part. The controls have a separate harness
with a connector at the bottom of the column. There is no need to
remove the stalk to test it.

OTOH the vacuum lines behind the battery tend to rot from the acid
might want to check that out.

Old July 25th 05, 07:32 PM
Joe M

Look under the column above the pedals.
The plastic yellow box (approx 4"x4") is the cruise "computer".
I fixed mine twice in the last 15 years by simply unplugging and replugging
the electric connector to this box.
Quick and easy. Give it a try and let us know what fixes it.
Good luck - Joe 90XJ