Brake Dust Revisited

Old July 17th 05, 12:53 AM
Charles C. Shyu

Default Brake Dust Revisited

New '05 325Ci here, gorgeous 'cept for the excessive brake dust. I did a
google search and looks like most of the talk came from '03 and earlier.
Any new updates on battling brake dust? Any other secrets or favorites that
people would like to share? Much thanks.
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Old July 17th 05, 02:05 AM
Sharkman540i

change the pads, the originals are very dusty on bmw, yet perform very well.
I just installed Axxis / PBR Ultimate ceramic pads... supposed to be less
dusty with better braking... too soon to tell for me though.
Pagid and Durid are the dusty oem brands to watch out for.
link.net...

Old July 17th 05, 10:37 PM
AL

Clean the wheels very good. Then put a hard turtle wax on the wheels. Not
the polishing waxes, but one htat says "hard" wax. This will make them
clean very easy. The dust is due to type of pad and rotor. Stay with BMW
OEM brakes pads. There is a reason BMW's brake good.

Al F

Old July 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
Poseur

"Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in
link.net:

> New '05 325Ci here, gorgeous 'cept for the excessive brake
> dust. I did a google search and looks like most of the
> talk came from '03 and earlier. Any new updates on battling
> brake dust? Any other secrets or favorites that people
> would like to share? Much thanks.

I've seen some aftermarket plate looking things that you
apprently put between your brake and the wheel. Anyone tried
them? Any good? Any downside?

--
Poseur
"That's just kooky talk." --Kramer
Old July 24th 05, 03:43 PM
Malt_Hound

Poseur wrote:
> "Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in
> link.net:
>

>>New '05 325Ci here, gorgeous 'cept for the excessive brake
>>dust. I did a google search and looks like most of the
>>talk came from '03 and earlier. Any new updates on battling
>>brake dust? Any other secrets or favorites that people
>>would like to share? Much thanks.

> I've seen some aftermarket plate looking things that you
> apprently put between your brake and the wheel. Anyone tried
> them? Any good? Any downside?

Yes, they will block airflow and can contribute to brake overheating and
warpage.

-Fred W
Old July 27th 05, 06:52 PM
C.R. Krieger

AL wrote:
> The dust is due to type of pad and rotor. Stay with BMW
> OEM brakes pads. There is a reason BMW's brake good.

There's also a reason so many of us who drive our cars 'briskly' swap
pads. OEM is not the best available, by any stretch of the
imagination. I second the Repco/Axxis/PBR recommendation. Less dust;
grey instead of black, and better 'bite' than stock pads.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Runnin' PBR Metalmasters)

Brake dust + polished aluminum rims jbeez Ford Mustang 2 June 16th 05 03:51 AM
Friction Dust, Particles, Phenolic Liquid resins for Brake Linings, Disc Pads, Clutch facings, Blocks Sat Technology 0 May 14th 05 12:01 PM
1990 Vanagon Brake issue (revisited) G.I.O. VW air cooled 1 May 7th 05 04:32 AM
? DAMN BRAKE DUST ? G Corvette 6 April 28th 05 06:44 AM
Brake Dust Shields Tim & Maureen Harris Antique cars 1 December 10th 03 03:34 AM