95 Dodge Stratus ES Shifting problems

Old July 19th 05, 11:36 PM
BOAZ1

"" wrote:
> I have a 95 stratus with a 2.5 V6. When I an driving, it will
> shift down
> in gears, and can not drive over 35 mph. I have taken it to a
> transmission shop, and they said no codes came up on the
> computer. Tried
> to tell me that it had been ran low in fluid and it was some
> kind of
> saftey thing, so I could get to a shop. I don't believe that.
> If I turn
> it off for a few minute it will run fine for a few hours or a
> few weeks.
> But sometimes, it will take a few days for it to change gears
> like it
> should. I read on another site that it could be the input
> speed sensor.
> I have bought it and the outup speed sensors, and am waiting
> to have them
> put in. But I am thinking that isn't the problem. Has anyone
> had this
> problem and gotten it fixed??

i have the same exact problem. i think the computer in the car,is
going bad. when you stop and turn the car off.it start to work, but
only for a few minutes with me. and it drive me crazy. but i still
believe its the computer.

i’m my the the dodge dealership for the repair. :evil: :twisted: :x

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-S...ict121757.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=632297
Old July 20th 05, 01:15 AM
David

"BOAZ1" > wrote in message
news:1_632297_e0c01752510af5c1d5d2d60845129a4e@aut oforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > I have a 95 stratus with a 2.5 V6. When I an driving, it will
> > shift down
> > in gears, and can not drive over 35 mph. I have taken it to a
> > transmission shop, and they said no codes came up on the
> > computer. Tried
> > to tell me that it had been ran low in fluid and it was some
> > kind of
> > saftey thing, so I could get to a shop. I don't believe that.
> > If I turn
> > it off for a few minute it will run fine for a few hours or a
> > few weeks.
> > But sometimes, it will take a few days for it to change gears
> > like it
> > should. I read on another site that it could be the input
> > speed sensor.
> > I have bought it and the outup speed sensors, and am waiting
> > to have them
> > put in. But I am thinking that isn't the problem. Has anyone
> > had this
> > problem and gotten it fixed??

> i have the same exact problem. i think the computer in the car,is
> going bad. when you stop and turn the car off.it start to work, but
> only for a few minutes with me.

Then that it bad! car not to work when turned off!

and it drive me crazy. but i still
> believe its the computer.
>
> i'm my the the dodge dealership for the repair. :evil: :twisted: :x

agg1 my evil twisted dodge dealer too! I am not the dodge dealer

Old July 20th 05, 10:35 PM
kymme80

"Mothar" wrote:
> Hello, I have the exact same problem as Litlbreez4, with the
> exact same car. I can confirm the behaviour completely. I
> would rule out any mechanial defect or fluid problems, since
> turning off ignition and starting again clears the problem.
> But it’s a drag having to pull over to emergency lane to do
> that. At highway speeds (80+) it will shift to N, and when the
> speed gets down into 1st gear range(35mph) it will jerk into
> 1st. (limp mode)
> It is strange how the outside temp seem to have some
> influence, but even Litlbreez4’s note on that is also
> happening for me.
> Kymme80, you didn’t mention if the “low reverse selonid” was
> changed, and if it solve it ??
> Could the problem be caused by a different problem, like vents
> needing adjustment, or “leaky” exhaust system ??
> Rgds
> Mothar

i have not changed it, i have talked with several people to include a
friend who has had the same problem with her old dodge. i sold the car
and explained the problem to the people who bought it. they are happy
since they have a 16 year old son and do not want him exceding 60mph.
she said she would see about the LRS problem.
Old July 20th 05, 10:35 PM
Mothar

"kymme80" wrote:
> i have not changed it, i have talked with several people to
> include a friend who has had the same problem with her old
> dodge. i sold the car and explained the problem to the people
> who bought it. they are happy since they have a 16 year old
> son and do not want him exceding 60mph. she said she would see
> about the LRS problem.

hey Kymme, thanks for the answer, although it is an "alternative"
solution
I did another alternative solution TODAY, I totalled the car
completely :lol:
So, in a sense, my problem is also "solved"

Rgds 8O
Old July 22nd 05, 04:35 AM
john92308b

"Mothar" wrote:
> hey Kymme80, thanks for the answer, although it is an
> "alternative" solution
> I did another alternative solution TODAY, I totalled the car
> completely :lol:
> So, in a sense, my problem is also "solved"
>
> Rgds 8O

I have the exact same problem on a 1995 Stratus ES 2.5. The tranny
was replaced about 12 months ago, by a very reputable shop. I just had
the Transmission Control Module changed, and that didn’t solve the
problem. I am the only owner, so I know how the car has been driven.
It is in wonderful shape, strong engine, perfect interior, but I hate
to keep putting good money "trying" to solve this problem. Any help
that you guys can give would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
John
Old July 22nd 05, 03:56 PM
David

"john92308b" > wrote in message
news:1_633179_5c339eb3176610f7d81a7bee76be49aa@aut oforumz.com...
> "Mothar" wrote:
> > hey Kymme80, thanks for the answer, although it is an
> > "alternative" solution
> > I did another alternative solution TODAY, I totalled the car
> > completely :lol:
> > So, in a sense, my problem is also "solved"
> >
> > Rgds 8O

> I have the exact same problem on a 1995 Stratus ES 2.5. The tranny
> was replaced about 12 months ago, by a very reputable shop. I just had
> the Transmission Control Module changed, and that didn't solve the
> problem. I am the only owner, so I know how the car has been driven.
> It is in wonderful shape, strong engine, perfect interior, but I hate
> to keep putting good money "trying" to solve this problem. Any help
> that you guys can give would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
> John

You would not have spent sop much money if you had the Transmission
controller fault codes read by the chrysler dealership. It is probably the
Vehicle speed sensors which are about $20.00. But het keep swapping out
parts instead of doing the obvious, which has been posted here how many
times?

Old September 27th 05, 09:10 PM
fast_is_good fast_is_good is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlbreez4
I have a 95 stratus with a 2.5 V6. When I an driving, it will shift down
in gears, and can not drive over 35 mph. I have taken it to a
transmission shop, and they said no codes came up on the computer. Tried
to tell me that it had been ran low in fluid and it was some kind of
saftey thing, so I could get to a shop. I don't believe that. If I turn
it off for a few minute it will run fine for a few hours or a few weeks.
But sometimes, it will take a few days for it to change gears like it
should. I read on another site that it could be the input speed sensor.
I have bought it and the outup speed sensors, and am waiting to have them
put in. But I am thinking that isn't the problem. Has anyone had this
problem and gotten it fixed??
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You would not have spent sop much money if you had the Transmission
controller fault codes read by the chrysler dealership. It is probably the
Vehicle speed sensors which are about $20.00. But het keep swapping out
parts instead of doing the obvious, which has been posted here how many
times?
I also have a 95 Stratus ES with a 2.5 V6 with the 41TE automatic transmission and am having the exact same problems as Litlbreez4. I've replaced the input and output sensors along with the wire harness connectors that lead up to the sensors. I've replaced the fluid and filter recently and have every 15k or so. The problem never shows itself in the winter only the summer and it does seem that warmer temperatures make it go into "limp mode".

I looked into replacing the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but I found out that only the manual transmission has this sensor.

The last time I had the car into the transmission shop they checked it for codes and found nothing. He checked my CVI's and told me they look good.

Litlbreez4 have you or anyone else out there found a fix to this problem?