Yet another DUH!

Old July 15th 05, 03:31 AM
Dave Head

On 14 Jul 2005 23:40:51 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:

(Matthew Russotto) wrote in
:

>> In article >,
>> Jim Yanik .> wrote:
(Matthew Russotto) wrote in
:

>>>There have been a number of studies now,and they all point to CPs as
>>>being a serious distraction while driving.

>>>This latest one is by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

>> The Insurance Institute For Higher Surcharges? Now THERE is a
>> reliable source.

>Well,if CPs were not a serious cause of accidents,then what benefit would
>the insurance companies have to ban CPs?

If it hasn't yet become blindingly obvious to you, its the same as the speeding
scam. Make a popular thing illegal, people will do it anyway, they'll get a
ticket, and then they'll get POINTS on their license, so the INSURANCE company
can say, Aha! Bad driver! SURCHARGE! IOW, they'll make a pile of money out of
getting cell phones banned.

>And why are they not calling for bans of CD players,and eating while
>driving,or other distractions?

Are we 100% sure they aren't? I've heard of eating and drinking prohibition
advocacy for drivers, but am not sure whether the IIHS was behind it or not.
Probably - they're likely the only ones that really have an interest in it.

Dave Head
Old July 15th 05, 04:19 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:37:14 GMT, DYM > wrote:
>
>>Dave Head > wrote in
m:

>>> There's still a thing called CB radio, which does _not_ come with a
>>> $50 a month charge, and you _can_ blab your ass off all the way down
>>> the road and nobody's thinking about banning them. And that's
>>> assuming you don't have some other kind of 2-way radio.
>>>
>>> Dave Head
>>>

>>BTW, you don't need to pay $50/month for CP service if all you want is
>>for emergencies. 911 will work on any CP, even if you haven't paid the
>>bill is 6 months.
>>
>>Doug

> Yeah, I know, but I'm not interested in retaining it, when I could
> probably sell it after giving up or non-renewing the contract, just to
> be able to do that. Besides, the battery would almost certainly be
> dead 2 or 3 years down the road when I wanted to actually use it for
> that.
>
> Dave Head

Ever hear of an auto charging cord accessory for CP's?
I have one;when Hurricane Charlie took out my electric power for 7 days,I
had no way to recharge my CP.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 15th 05, 11:16 PM
Dave

Dave Head wrote:

> Nope - only if I'm the one that rolls up on you while you're bleeding to death,
> and there's not going to be anyone else around for the next half-hour or so,
> and I have sold the cell phone.

If I'm bleeding to death you'll be more than welcome to use my cell
phone, if I haven't already, since I wouldn't plan on giving up mine.

Why do I care if you don't want a cell phone anymore? You're only
putting yourself, and others with your mindset, at risk.

Dave

Old July 16th 05, 12:10 AM
C.H.

Dave Head wrote:

> On 14 Jul 2005 14:43:18 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>>
>>Well,it sounds like no great loss to the rest of us.after all,by your own
>>admission,you don't make or receive that many calls.

> Nope - only if I'm the one that rolls up on you while you're bleeding to
> death, and there's not going to be anyone else around for the next
> half-hour or so, and I have sold the cell phone.

I am much more likely to be bleeding to death because you have t-boned me in
your cellphone induced stupidity than to be saved by your cellphone.

> Others will delete the cell phone from their lists of expenses, too, if
> they can't use it where they most need it. This problem will _not_ be as
> isolated as you might like it to be.

On the contrary, as the example Germany clearly shows.

>>And how many accidents or calls for help have you made so far???

> Reported a drunk driver a couple years ago. Other than that, haven't had
> an opportunity.

In other words you are endangering people on a daily basis but have only
made one call that might have had a slightly beneficial effect on safety in
three years? Thanks for making our case for cellphone ban at the wheel.

Chris
Old July 19th 05, 10:36 PM

Yeah, but what I'm saying is I'm not going to be digging that out and
charging up a cell phone for which I've canceled the contract just in
case I might have to call 911 for something. I'm going to sell the
phone - won't have it - if I can't use it where I most often need to
use it. Won't be carrying around a DC cord for it, either.

Dave Head

Old July 19th 05, 10:39 PM

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to find _your_ phone after you've rolled
your car end over end out into the woods someplace, and you're totally
unconscious and, as I said, bleeding to death.

As for the risk, there are risks to having fewer people in society that
have instant communications of a cell phone.

Dave Head

Old July 20th 05, 03:05 AM
Dave Head

On 19 Jul 2005 23:27:33 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:

wrote in
roups.com:

>> Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to find _your_ phone after you've rolled
>> your car end over end out into the woods someplace, and you're totally
>> unconscious and, as I said, bleeding to death.
>>
>> As for the risk, there are risks to having fewer people in society that
>> have instant communications of a cell phone.
>>
>> Dave Head
>>

>You STILL can have it with you,

Could, but won't.

>and still can use in -in an emergency-,just
>not use it during ordinary driving.

Nope, won't have it at all.

Dave Head