Leaky Push-rod Tubes - NOT

Old May 30th 05, 01:56 AM
Scott Sansom

> How far are you willing to go to get your Bug and what year(s) are you
> looking at? Price range, etc. This is motivated self-interest speaking
> here as we (Scott and I) happen to have one or two or three (or more)
> good candidates for you to consider, if driving to Dallas ain't out of
> the question...

I'm looking for a good unrestored '64 ~ '67 Bug. Preferably something
with a good body and floor pan. Dinged fenders are ok, but the core of
the body must be sound. In particular, I not interested in anything
that has been in a front or rear end collision. Also, I am not
interested in anything that has been lowered or extensively modified
(i.e. had things done to it that are impossible or expensive to
reverse). Of course it goes without saying that I'll be looking closely
at the heater channels for rust. If I can trailer it or ship it the
motor does not have to be in running condition but I would give extra
credit for a car with an original engine (not a gotta have item but I
might pay a little more for it). Don't want a Bug with a sunroof (my
original had a sunroof that was broken and responsible for the rusted
floorpan). I live in north Alabama and around here I think what I am
describing is a 2 to 3 kilobuck car, maybe 4 kilobucks if you find one
that has been garaged quite a bit and in better condition. I might
consider going to Dallas. It is quite a drive from here. What would
motivate me to make the trip is either a car in better than usual
condition or if I just can't find what I am looking for in this area.
Like I said, I have really planned to get serious about car shopping
onec the shop is built, so I haven't done more than just casual looking
at this point.

How does this line up with the cars you have at the moment?

Scott
Old May 30th 05, 04:03 AM
John Willis

On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:56:08 GMT, Scott Sansom >
scribbled this interesting note:

>How does this line up with the cars you have at the moment?

How does a pair of 1965 Beetles for under $1000.00 sound?

One has a good title and no engine. The other has (what I take to be)
an original engine and no title. Between the two there is at least one
very good car.

Email me and let's talk. Don't forget to follow the anti-spam measures
and remove the numbers before sending your email.

I've got pictures and more can be had upon request.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 30th 05, 04:04 AM
John Willis

On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:49:41 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"John Willis" > wrote in message
>

>> Framing is the easy part. Buy a good, big pneumatic nail gun and a
>> good saw and go to town. You don't need no stinkin' framers!:~) (Trust
>> me on this one. Most framers can't frame a square corner to save their
>> lives! Chris will back me up on this one, I'm sure!:~)
>>

>yes i will.....don't see some much as a string line on most jobs these days,
>much less *gasp* a level or framing square....

String line? What's a string line? I know what a string is and I know
what a line is, but whoever heard of such a thing as a string line?
Are you pulling my chain again?!:~)

Old May 30th 05, 04:16 AM
Scott Sansom

John Willis wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:56:08 GMT, Scott Sansom >
> scribbled this interesting note:
>

>>How does this line up with the cars you have at the moment?

> How does a pair of 1965 Beetles for under $1000.00 sound?
>
> One has a good title and no engine. The other has (what I take to be)
> an original engine and no title. Between the two there is at least one
> very good car.
>
> Email me and let's talk. Don't forget to follow the anti-spam measures
> and remove the numbers before sending your email.
>
> I've got pictures and more can be had upon request.
>

> --
> John Willis
> (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Sound interesting. I'll email you so you can send me some pictures.
Thanks for the response.

Scottt
Old May 30th 05, 09:09 AM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:49:41 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
> scribbled this interesting note:
>

>>"John Willis" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Framing is the easy part. Buy a good, big pneumatic nail gun and a
>>> good saw and go to town. You don't need no stinkin' framers!:~) (Trust
>>> me on this one. Most framers can't frame a square corner to save their
>>> lives! Chris will back me up on this one, I'm sure!:~)
>>>

>>yes i will.....don't see some much as a string line on most jobs these
>>days,
>>much less *gasp* a level or framing square....
>>

> String line? What's a string line? I know what a string is and I know
> what a line is, but whoever heard of such a thing as a string line?
> Are you pulling my chain again?!:~)
>

> --

of course i am!!!

Old May 30th 05, 08:10 PM
tricky

Framing 'IS' the easy part. even if you dont have a nail gun. I did mine
with a hammer and nails and it went up in a day, including the roof.
It really not that hard.
And yes - those 'Framing guys' are just in it for the money - its not
their workshop - do they care if its not straight !
Not as much as you :-)

Rich

Old May 31st 05, 05:40 PM
Hal

> Got leaky push-rod tubes?
>
> Maybe you don't; not of the dick-head who built the engine forgot to
> put sealant on the washers in the valve gallery. (Another of those
> 'unimportant' details.)
>
> YOU are you're best mechanic. And if you don't believe me, ask Rocky
> :-)

On the subject of pushrod tubes...One thing that I found out the hard
way is the leaks caused by the 'red' pushrod tube seals that come with
the engine gasket kits. Mine started weeping literally within a month
of getting the engine installed. I pulled it back down and replaced the
seals with the white german ones and I haven't had a leak since. The
bit about sealing up behind the washers for the head studs is something
I have also had leak in the past, along with the two studs under the
rocker towers. The o-rings that were shipped with the gasket kit were
too thin to provide a seal between the base of the rocker tower and the
head. I reassmbled that area with a bit of sealant into the groove
where the o-ring sits and it's been dry ever since.

Chris

Old May 31st 05, 10:05 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Tweak" > wrote in message

> Take the topic back to a.m.s.
>
> Maybe ask Larry if the "gyroscopic limitations" of the short crankshaft
> on a V4 would be offset by a 24" front wheel on Mr. RC?
>

> --

hehe..tweak...i tend to not pay attention nor read alot of Larry's
posts....the man *does* love his bike though...come out more often
tweak...haven't see you since...hmm...a post on goldwing engine i
think?(into a vw or such)....

Old May 31st 05, 10:12 PM
Shag

wrote:

>"John Willis" > wrote in message
>

>> Framing is the easy part. Buy a good, big pneumatic nail gun and a
>> good saw and go to town. You don't need no stinkin' framers!:~) (Trust
>> me on this one. Most framers can't frame a square corner to save their
>> lives! Chris will back me up on this one, I'm sure!:~)
>>

>yes i will.....don't see some much as a string line on most jobs these days,
>much less *gasp* a level or framing square....

That's cuz they all use the BLING BLING laser levels. Get with the
times, dude!!! :-)

Old May 31st 05, 11:13 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> That's cuz they all use the BLING BLING laser levels. Get with the
> times, dude!!! :-)

LOL..you don't even see those on jobsites....and any of them you see at
Lowes or on a tv commercial are about as accurate as the "eyeball"
method....