Anyone mess with the rear window motor on a 87-93 vert?

Old February 7th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Anyone mess with the rear window motor on a 87-93 vert?

Hey all! I found and bought myself another stang. It's been about a year
since my '93 was totalled. This one is a 1988 lx 5.0 convertible. Red with
black/red perfect interior, all options (i guess), auto, and 98k original
miles. Picked it up for $3k! Had the top replaced a couple years ago and
the transmission. The owner had owned it for 7 years and just drove it from
time to time! What a happy day.

Things that are broken on it: Cruise control, one 5.0 symbol gone, rear
window on drivers side not working quite right.

I'll post a link to pics as soon as I take some!

Anyways, to the problem at hand. The rear tiny window on the drivers side
goes down perfectly. But when you hit the switch to go back up you hear the
window motor turn a few times and stop, turn a few times and stop. However
the window never moves. If you pull up on the window and hit the window
switch up repeatedly the window comes up. When you stop it stays where it
is and doesn't fall back down.

When I shine my flashlight down in there I see alot of wiggly movement that
I dont think sohuld be wiggling. Most likely some loose bolts. I took the
panel off on the inside hoping it would be a clear shot to the motor and
came to see alot of junk behind the pannel, lol.

It's been so long since my last mustang I'll have to dig out my 97-93 repair
manual to see what all thise junk is before i dig into it.

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any sites to guides for window
repair that will be better than my bunk repair manual from autozone?

Thanks!
--Cameron

Old February 8th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Good news I guess! I took the drivers side rear motor off and then I took
the passenger side motor off too. I held the passenger side motor up to the
drivers side (couldnt mount it cause its different) and the window would go
up and down perfectly.

I examined the gears on both and the gear teeth on the drivers side motor
are worn down a litle bit. So I guess all I need is the drivers side rear
window motor. I went to autozone and they ordered the part for me, should
be here in a day or two.

The only concern is that the part was listed as "power window motor (gear
not included)". I hope that means the other peice of the gear and not the
gear that is permanently attached to the motor. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Old February 8th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Cameron" > wrote:

> Good news I guess! I took the drivers side rear motor off and then I
> took the passenger side motor off too. I held the passenger side
> motor up to the drivers side (couldnt mount it cause its different)
> and the window would go up and down perfectly.
>
> I examined the gears on both and the gear teeth on the drivers side
> motor are worn down a litle bit. So I guess all I need is the drivers
> side rear window motor. I went to autozone and they ordered the part
> for me, should be here in a day or two.
>
> The only concern is that the part was listed as "power window motor
> (gear not included)". I hope that means the other peice of the gear
> and not the gear that is permanently attached to the motor. Anyone
> know?

Usually the case...
And check the tracking for the window itself.

It is what usually goes first. It going bad, combined with an
owner/driver that doesnt understand what's happening, will eventually
cause the motor drive to wear abnormally

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old February 9th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I went and bought a "Gear Kit" for the front from Advanced Auto parts for
$25. I was able to use the plastic gear and the 3 little plastic things to
repair my passenger side window motor. It's not as fast as as drivers side
with a new motor but it goes up and down.

All windows functional :-)