A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 26th 05, 12:16 AM
Joey Tribiani

"tricky" > wrote >
> Yeah - what he said ! :-)
>
> The title of the thread starts " A complete newbie " . As you were
> brought up around cars and engines , maybe you cant understand what its
> like too be at a complete loss as to where to start, who to ask, what
> to ask for etc. etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you know your stuff,
> thats a good thing !.

i didn't "know my stuff" then....i was "around" cars and engines, as you say
but do you think they would let a kid mess with a customers car? a kid that
didn't know what the **** he was doing? nope...my knowledge came from
*wanting* to learn and not being afraid of ****ing up...people today are too
****ing tender and afraid they will "mess up"....big whoopty....mess up, fix
it....lesson learned....and you will *remember* it....

> 'We' dont !
>
> I had a little knowledge of mechanics, but it was still a few oil
> changes down the line on VW's before I learned they were different to
> other cars. I just used to take the drain plug out, empty the oil, put
> it back and top it up again ! I didnt know that the smaller bolts
> holding the round plate had a wire mesh thingy inside that I should
> replace, or at least clean ! For all I knew, if I took that plate off,
> half the engine could fall out !

don't need Muir for that....a real manual would have taught you the same
thing...

> I think how to keep your VW alive - for a complete idiot ( like 'us' )
> as an apt title for the book. Like shag said, you could take it to a
> shop, and pay someone to do the work. They could tell you what you want
> to hear and you would pay what they tell you to pay. If you read the
> Muir book, at leased you will have an idea if you are beeing fleeced, or
> even that the mechanic hasnt got a clue about aircooled, and you are
> paying him to screw your engine up !
>
> I would still recommend to any "Newbie" the muir book as a good starting
> place to learn the basics and take the mystery out of all the oily stuff.
>
> I am interested in your comments on wrong info given in the book. I
> havent heared that before. Can you give us some examples - what to look
> out for ?

i'm telling you that i personally think Muir is *crap*....it is not a
manual...agree, disagree, indifferent, it doesn't matter....its my
opinion...take it or leave it....and i don't give a rats ass one way or the
other....my vw will be fine if you **** yours up....

Old May 26th 05, 12:24 AM
Shag

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:11:24 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
>
>> >Repair manuals are like any other advice you get to a tech question.
>> >
>> >GET A SECOND OPINION.
>> >
>> >Having multiple manuals is just that.
>> >
>> >Jan

>> I'd like a second opinion on that. ;-)
>>

>Well....i think......no **** it....buy every book you can that may give you
>the answer...then if you have any money left maybe you can buy a
>sparkplug....

I'm not sure who took a **** in your Wheaties, but you have an open
invitation to kiss my ass if you're gonna sport an attitude like that.
I guess we're not all as great of a mechanic as you are. You're out
of line spouting off at the mouth like you are. Don't like it? Tough
****. I don't give a **** if you like it any more than you give a
**** if I like your "more mechanically inclined than thou" attitude.
that clear enough for you, Mr Goodwrench?

Old May 26th 05, 12:25 AM
Shag

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:16:09 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"tricky" > wrote >
>> Yeah - what he said ! :-)
>>
>> The title of the thread starts " A complete newbie " . As you were
>> brought up around cars and engines , maybe you cant understand what its
>> like too be at a complete loss as to where to start, who to ask, what
>> to ask for etc. etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you know your stuff,
>> thats a good thing !.

>i didn't "know my stuff" then....i was "around" cars and engines, as you say
>but do you think they would let a kid mess with a customers car? a kid that
>didn't know what the **** he was doing? nope...my knowledge came from
>*wanting* to learn and not being afraid of ****ing up...people today are too
>****ing tender and afraid they will "mess up"....big whoopty....mess up, fix
>it....lesson learned....and you will *remember* it....
>

>> 'We' dont !
>>
>> I had a little knowledge of mechanics, but it was still a few oil
>> changes down the line on VW's before I learned they were different to
>> other cars. I just used to take the drain plug out, empty the oil, put
>> it back and top it up again ! I didnt know that the smaller bolts
>> holding the round plate had a wire mesh thingy inside that I should
>> replace, or at least clean ! For all I knew, if I took that plate off,
>> half the engine could fall out !

>don't need Muir for that....a real manual would have taught you the same
>thing...
>

>> I think how to keep your VW alive - for a complete idiot ( like 'us' )
>> as an apt title for the book. Like shag said, you could take it to a
>> shop, and pay someone to do the work. They could tell you what you want
>> to hear and you would pay what they tell you to pay. If you read the
>> Muir book, at leased you will have an idea if you are beeing fleeced, or
>> even that the mechanic hasnt got a clue about aircooled, and you are
>> paying him to screw your engine up !
>>
>> I would still recommend to any "Newbie" the muir book as a good starting
>> place to learn the basics and take the mystery out of all the oily stuff.
>>
>> I am interested in your comments on wrong info given in the book. I
>> havent heared that before. Can you give us some examples - what to look
>> out for ?
>>

>i'm telling you that i personally think Muir is *crap*....it is not a
>manual...agree, disagree, indifferent, it doesn't matter....its my
>opinion...take it or leave it....and i don't give a rats ass one way or the
>other....my vw will be fine if you **** yours up....

Too bad you weren't around someone who could teach you to not be a
dickhead when you're having a bad day. Nobody in this thread (until
now) except you has been ridiculously rude about their opinion.

Old May 26th 05, 01:23 AM
ilambert

That's the best advice Jan.Multiple manuals.A wiser man then me once
said"Anything you want to learn there is a book on out there".

Old May 26th 05, 01:51 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> Too bad you weren't around someone who could teach you to not be a
> dickhead when you're having a bad day. Nobody in this thread (until
> now) except you has been ridiculously rude about their opinion.

yeah that is new for me, eh?

Old May 26th 05, 01:56 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> I'm not sure who took a **** in your Wheaties, but you have an open
> invitation to kiss my ass if you're gonna sport an attitude like that.
> I guess we're not all as great of a mechanic as you are. You're out
> of line spouting off at the mouth like you are. Don't like it? Tough
> ****. I don't give a **** if you like it any more than you give a
> **** if I like your "more mechanically inclined than thou" attitude.
> that clear enough for you, Mr Goodwrench?

you are correct...please forgive me....

Old May 26th 05, 09:06 AM
tricky

Hi Ken

I hope you are still lurking there somewhere and haven't been scared away !

This group is GENERALLY friendly and helpful. If you stick around for a
while, I am sure you will see this.

Its an internet news group, and as such, ANYONE can put there two cents
worth in - in what ever tone of text they choose. Sometimes the
language can be colorful !

Some times a thread will veer off away from the point with two or three
members slugging it out till they run out of steam. But most of the
time those same members come back time and time again with very helpful
posts in the future.

I always say 'people are people' everyone is different. get to know
there ways and you wont be surprised / upset when their character comes
through.

To sum this thread up, if I may ! , most people would recommend the muir
book as a must read to get yourself aquainted ,- some dont like it!-
also most people would tell you to get the Bentley manual before you
start taking things apart or putting them back together.

That is my experience anyhow. I am sure if you googled, the two books
on top of the recommended list would be those.

Rich

(ducking to avoid any flack ! )

Old May 26th 05, 02:48 PM
bill may

best example of bad advice in the john muir manual is to disconnect
your choke. i worked at vw dealership in 60's and 70's. i use a
Bentley.

Old May 26th 05, 02:57 PM
bill may

disconnect choke.

Old May 26th 05, 02:58 PM
bill may

i agree -muir book is crap. i advise burning it.