Plymouth minivan

Old September 4th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
shadetreemech

Default Plymouth minivan

On a 91 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.3 engine the rear main seal is leaking
how hard is it to replace? Does the engine and/or trans have to be taken
out? Thanks Shadetree Mech

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...kers.chrysler/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old September 4th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"shadetreemech" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> On a 91 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.3 engine the rear main seal is leaking
> how hard is it to replace? Does the engine and/or trans have to be taken
> out? Thanks Shadetree Mech
>
> --
> Message posted using

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...kers.chrysler/
> More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Yes trans or engine has to come out to install this seal. NOTE if the thrust
bearing is worn out causing excessive end play, installing a new will not
help

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 6th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

On Sep 4, 2:53 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> "shadetreemech" > wrote in message
>
> lkaboutautos.com...> On a 91 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.3 engine the rear main seal is leaking
> > how hard is it to replace? Does the engine and/or trans have to be taken
> > out? Thanks Shadetree Mech

> > --
> > Message posted using

> http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
>
> Yes trans or engine has to come out to install this seal. NOTE if the thrust
> bearing is worn out causing excessive end play, installing a new will not
> help
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

It must be a one-piece seal as on my 1998 Dodge Stratus. I had a
transmission shop do the repair, as I wanted to ensure that the
transmission was removed and re-installed correctly. The seal had
caused a significant amount of gauling on the flex plate, so it was
replace too. The tranny shop's cost ended up being lest than what had
been quoted by other shops.

Glenn, can the thrust bearing end play be checked with the engine in
the vehicle, or does it have to come out?

-KM

Old September 7th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 4, 2:53 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > "shadetreemech" > wrote in message
> >
> > lkaboutautos.com...>

On a 91 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.3 engine the rear main seal is leaking
> > > how hard is it to replace? Does the engine and/or trans have to be

taken
> > > out? Thanks Shadetree Mech

> > > --
> > > Message posted using

> > http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/> More

information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

> > Yes trans or engine has to come out to install this seal. NOTE if the

thrust
> > bearing is worn out causing excessive end play, installing a new will

not
> > help
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> It must be a one-piece seal as on my 1998 Dodge Stratus. I had a
> transmission shop do the repair, as I wanted to ensure that the
> transmission was removed and re-installed correctly. The seal had
> caused a significant amount of gauling on the flex plate, so it was
> replace too. The tranny shop's cost ended up being lest than what had
> been quoted by other shops.
>
> Glenn, can the thrust bearing end play be checked with the engine in
> the vehicle, or does it have to come out?
>
> -KM

Crankshaft end play can be done with the engine in the vehicle.
1.. Mount a dial indicator to front of engine, locating probe on nose of
crankshaft.
2.. Move crankshaft all the way to the rear of its travel.
3.. Zero the dial indicator.
4.. Move crankshaft all the way to the front and read the dial indicator.
Refer to Crankshaft Specification Chart for end-play specification .Wear
limt is 0.015in

minivan hop-up? Ron Seiden Dodge 3 February 9th 07 03:14 AM
85 Plymouth/Dodge minivan parts for sale WOOD1948[_1_] Dodge 0 October 29th 06 04:28 PM
2002 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Front Disc Brakes Gladewater via CarKB.com Chrysler 15 April 26th 05 11:19 PM
94 Plymouth Voyager minivan = power steering problem N. Nayar Chrysler 4 April 11th 05 09:32 AM
which minivan to buy? snow Honda 8 February 11th 05 09:10 PM