$3 battery charger

Old June 11th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

Default $3 battery charger

3 Dollar lead acid Battery Charger
http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/3dollarbattggn.htm

Ace, WH2T

from one of the radio ngs.

Really neat.

Alternative subject line:
**** Sears.

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Old June 11th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
anumber1

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
> 3 Dollar lead acid Battery Charger
> http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/3dollarbattggn.htm
>
> Ace, WH2T
>
> from one of the radio ngs.
>
> Really neat.
>
> Alternative subject line:
> **** Sears.

Yup, it'll work but beware of the caveats:

1.) Stand back when powering it up, the high voltage (much higher than
an ordinary transformer based battery charger) may/will cause an arc
internally to a battery that has a marginal/broken connection. If any
hydrogen gas is present inside the case, it will explode.

2.) It will easily overcharge a battery and the margin between a heavy
charge and damaged is very narrow. This cheap and dangerous method will
destroy a battery in minutes if you are not attentive enough to remove
it the instant your battery boils excessively or shows any other signs
of distress.

3.) I would bargain that if you used this device while the battery was
still in circuit in a modern automobile you would damage the vehicle's
computer due to the unregulated, high voltage DC spikes inherent of the
circuit.

This backwoods cobble may work but it is far from fool-proof and lacks
the most basic safety features.

Old June 12th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I think that you could circumvent a lot of the risks with this circuit by
a few simple changes.

A second lamp of different wattage could be used to create a voltage
divider circuit so that the voltage across the charger "terminals" (and
therefore the battery ) could never exceed 12-15 volts, so long as both
lamps were intact. There would be no high voltage, high current conditions.

This would help personal safety as much as anything else. To touch
the terminals of that unit, as designed and, without the battery in place
could be interesting.

You can limit the current to practically anything you wish, so the fear of
overcharging could be controlled.

DC would be low voltage half sine waves, not high voltage spikes,
so that would really not be a problem either.

We made a little "crackerbox" welder that functioned like this some years
ago. It worked fine, but without the voltage divider provision, it would
knock you for a loop if you touched the terminals and the machine was not
throwing an arc.

Old June 13th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
news
> I think that you could circumvent a lot of the risks with this circuit by
> a few simple changes.
>
> A second lamp of different wattage could be used to create a voltage
> divider circuit so that the voltage across the charger "terminals" (and
> therefore the battery ) could never exceed 12-15 volts, so long as both
> lamps were intact. There would be no high voltage, high current

conditions.

> This would help personal safety as much as anything else. To touch
> the terminals of that unit, as designed and, without the battery in place
> could be interesting.
>
> You can limit the current to practically anything you wish, so the fear of
> overcharging could be controlled.
>
> DC would be low voltage half sine waves, not high voltage spikes,
> so that would really not be a problem either.
>
> We made a little "crackerbox" welder that functioned like this some years
> ago. It worked fine, but without the voltage divider provision, it would
> knock you for a loop if you touched the terminals and the machine was not
> throwing an arc.

In fact one 40 watt (117vac) bulb across the battery, connected to two 150
watt
bulbs in parallel, would achieve this voltage division. Current isnt much,
but
for a couple of bucks????

Old June 13th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

> wrote in message
. net...

> > wrote in message
> news
>> I think that you could circumvent a lot of the risks with this circuit by
>> a few simple changes.
>>
>> A second lamp of different wattage could be used to create a voltage
>> divider circuit so that the voltage across the charger "terminals" (and
>> therefore the battery ) could never exceed 12-15 volts, so long as both
>> lamps were intact. There would be no high voltage, high current

> conditions.
>>
>> This would help personal safety as much as anything else. To touch
>> the terminals of that unit, as designed and, without the battery in place
>> could be interesting.
>>
>> You can limit the current to practically anything you wish, so the fear
>> of
>> overcharging could be controlled.
>>
>> DC would be low voltage half sine waves, not high voltage spikes,
>> so that would really not be a problem either.
>>
>> We made a little "crackerbox" welder that functioned like this some
>> years
>> ago. It worked fine, but without the voltage divider provision, it would
>> knock you for a loop if you touched the terminals and the machine was not
>> throwing an arc.

> In fact one 40 watt (117vac) bulb across the battery, connected to two 150
> watt
> bulbs in parallel, would achieve this voltage division. Current isnt
> much,
> but
> for a couple of bucks????

And, you can heat up a cold garage, while yer at it!
And read, whilst the battery is charging!
--
------

Old June 13th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Proctologically Violated©®" > wrote in
message ...

> And, you can heat up a cold garage, while yer at it!
> And read, whilst the battery is charging!

Yeah, this technology is cheap and dirty. For only a few bucks you can buy
or put together
a proper battery charger.

Old June 13th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

> wrote in message
>
> "Proctologically Violated©®" > wrote
> in
> message ...
>
>> And, you can heat up a cold garage, while yer at it!
>> And read, whilst the battery is charging!

> Yeah, this technology is cheap and dirty. For only a few bucks you can buy
> or put together
> a proper battery charger.

I think its main value is educational, IR drop, load vs. no load, current
reg vs voltage reg, and all that. Elegant, in that regard.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

ABSAAR BATTERY CHARGER - KNACKERED ??????? sam1967 Technology 1 March 27th 06 05:07 PM
O.T. Battery charger FrankW Jeep 12 October 29th 05 03:46 AM
cig lighter battery charger if6was9 Technology 7 August 5th 05 09:29 PM
Solar Battery Charger Kevin Kennedy Mazda 10 April 4th 05 05:44 PM
How to test Battery Charger its Not working crazyhorse Technology 3 December 17th 04 06:25 PM