93 Mazda 626 CEL code?

Old June 13th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

Default 93 Mazda 626 CEL code?

I checked my car for stored CEL codes and all that I got was an 18 (one
long, 8 short blinks). I cannot find any reference to this code online.

Can someone tell me what an "18" means?

Car is a 1993 Mazda 626 with V6 engine and auto transmission.

Old June 13th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 13, 2:41 pm, "Noozer" > wrote:
> I checked my car for stored CEL codes and all that I got was an 18 (one
> long, 8 short blinks). I cannot find any reference to this code online.
>
> Can someone tell me what an "18" means?
>
> Car is a 1993 Mazda 626 with V6 engine and auto transmission.

I don't see an "18" either. Are you sure it isn't a code 9, (coolant
temp sensor signal out of range)? FWIW, the first thing I thought was
that 18 was a fuel mixture type of code, as it is the next number
after the famous code 17, but upon checking my sources it doesn't
appear...

I would double check for a code 9 and if it *is* your code,
troubleshoot the ECT sensor/wiring. If the fault is intermittent,
verify the wiring from ECM to ECT is OK with ohm meter plus wiggle
testing, verify the female terminals in the ECT connector are tight
and corrosion free, then replace the ECT sensor; they can experience
an intermittent internal open circuit that will set code 9.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 14th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 13, 2:41 pm, "Noozer" > wrote:
>> I checked my car for stored CEL codes and all that I got was an 18 (one
>> long, 8 short blinks). I cannot find any reference to this code online.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what an "18" means?
>>
>> Car is a 1993 Mazda 626 with V6 engine and auto transmission.

> I don't see an "18" either. Are you sure it isn't a code 9, (coolant
> temp sensor signal out of range)? FWIW, the first thing I thought was
> that 18 was a fuel mixture type of code, as it is the next number
> after the famous code 17, but upon checking my sources it doesn't
> appear...

We figured out what it was... It was a 10 and an 8.

I had forgotten to connect the MAF sensor about a month ago for a few
minutes while cleaning my throttle body.

Thanks!

Old June 14th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 14, 3:33 am, "Noozer" > wrote:
> "Comboverfish" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Jun 13, 2:41 pm, "Noozer" > wrote:
> >> I checked my car for stored CEL codes and all that I got was an 18 (one
> >> long, 8 short blinks). I cannot find any reference to this code online.

> >> Can someone tell me what an "18" means?

> >> Car is a 1993 Mazda 626 with V6 engine and auto transmission.

> > I don't see an "18" either. Are you sure it isn't a code 9, (coolant
> > temp sensor signal out of range)? FWIW, the first thing I thought was
> > that 18 was a fuel mixture type of code, as it is the next number
> > after the famous code 17, but upon checking my sources it doesn't
> > appear...

> We figured out what it was... It was a 10 and an 8.
>
> I had forgotten to connect the MAF sensor about a month ago for a few
> minutes while cleaning my throttle body.
>
> Thanks!

Good for you. In retrospect, I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of
that possibility. It's extremely common for someone to leave the MAF
conector off after air filter or throttle service. Those two codes
will set within one second of the ignition key being turned to "run".

Toyota MDT in MO