88 Toyota Corolla loses power then stalls at random, about every few weeks

Old June 14th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aimeej

Default 88 Toyota Corolla loses power then stalls at random, about every few weeks

I just bought a 1988 Toyota corolla, manual 5 sp., carburetor (not
fuel injected), Periodically, with no rhyme or reason, at what seems
to be about a half tank of gas, whether this is relevant I am not
sure, it loses power quickly and stalls. At first we thought maybe the
gas gauge was broken. Left it sitting for a few hours, put in more
gas, cleaned fuel lines with carb cleaner and replaced fuel filter.
Started and ran great for a few weeks before doing the same thing
again. Has happened three times since...the last time it was
definitely not out of gas,and I was able to keep restarting and go a
bit further over and over until finally home. I also sometimes smell
an odor of gas around the car. It seems that all of my friends think
they are a mechanics : ), but no one seems to be exactly sure of the
problem...all have conflicting answers. The big question is...what
could it be that causes it to happen intermittently, then run great
for a few weeks? A vacuum leak, bad fuel pump, crud in the tank from
sitting a long time (could it get past filter), carb issue? Any ideas
would be oh so greatly appreciated! Thanks a million! Obviously I am
surely not a mechanic so excuse any odd questions...I do however have
a feeling that after this I will be much more educated in the rigors
of car repair!

Aimee

Old June 14th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

This sounds more like an electrical problem than a fuel problem.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 14th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 14, 3:43 am, aimeej > wrote:
> I just bought a 1988 Toyota corolla, manual 5 sp., carburetor (not
> fuel injected), Periodically, with no rhyme or reason, at what seems
> to be about a half tank of gas, whether this is relevant I am not
> sure, it loses power quickly and stalls. At first we thought maybe the
> gas gauge was broken. Left it sitting for a few hours, put in more
> gas, cleaned fuel lines with carb cleaner and replaced fuel filter.
> Started and ran great for a few weeks before doing the same thing
> again. Has happened three times since...the last time it was
> definitely not out of gas,and I was able to keep restarting and go a
> bit further over and over until finally home. I also sometimes smell
> an odor of gas around the car. It seems that all of my friends think
> they are a mechanics : ), but no one seems to be exactly sure of the
> problem...all have conflicting answers. The big question is...what
> could it be that causes it to happen intermittently, then run great
> for a few weeks? A vacuum leak, bad fuel pump, crud in the tank from
> sitting a long time (could it get past filter), carb issue? Any ideas
> would be oh so greatly appreciated! Thanks a million! Obviously I am
> surely not a mechanic so excuse any odd questions...I do however have
> a feeling that after this I will be much more educated in the rigors
> of car repair!
>
> Aimee

You would be wise to prepare for diagnosis by having a low pressure
fuel gauge, a spark tester, and a friend handy *before* the vehicle
stalls. Those two pieces of test equipment can be had for about $35
at your local chain auto parts store. Now test drive the car, staying
nearby your home. As soon as it stalls, check fuel pressure at the
rubber hose inlet fitting to the carburetor while someone cranks the
engine. Then reattach the hose and check for spark at any or all of
the secondary wires with a simple gap tester. Let us know what you
find. With no diagnostic info supplied, it could be anything at this
point.

Toyota MDT in MO