Grind/Click Sound - Front Axle

Old June 13th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default Grind/Click Sound - Front Axle

97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual
noise during slow speed tight turns. Parked the Jeep and used the
daughters car to finish up last week of work. Now that I'm on
vacation, I jacked up the jeep yesterday, and it sounded like the
brake pads ( the vehicle was inspected a couple of months back, and
they passed it with a note that the pads would need to be replaced
soon). So, wife drives into the city and picks up new pads on her way
home from work. I replace them, and I'm still getting the noise on the
passenger side when I spin the tire. Does it with the vehicle lifted
and when the tires are straight. This same noise was also made when
the vehicle was on the ground/stationary, and turning the steering. I
replaced the hub assy last fall. I looked at the u-joint, and didn't
notice any play...but, I know looks can be deceiving.

Any thoughts? Am I looking at replacing the u-joint, or do I
have a defective hub assy?

Thnks,
Eric in NNY
Old June 13th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

wrote:
> 97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual
> noise during slow speed tight turns. Parked the Jeep and used the
> daughters car to finish up last week of work. Now that I'm on
> vacation, I jacked up the jeep yesterday, and it sounded like the
> brake pads ( the vehicle was inspected a couple of months back, and
> they passed it with a note that the pads would need to be replaced
> soon). So, wife drives into the city and picks up new pads on her way
> home from work. I replace them, and I'm still getting the noise on the
> passenger side when I spin the tire. Does it with the vehicle lifted
> and when the tires are straight. This same noise was also made when
> the vehicle was on the ground/stationary, and turning the steering. I
> replaced the hub assy last fall. I looked at the u-joint, and didn't
> notice any play...but, I know looks can be deceiving.
>
> Any thoughts? Am I looking at replacing the u-joint, or do I
> have a defective hub assy?
>
> Thnks,
> Eric in NNY

I would cut the wheels hard to the side and then hand spin the wheel
while feeling the u-joint...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
Old June 13th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:02:52 -0400, Mike Romain >

>> 97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual
>> noise during slow speed tight turns. Parked the Jeep and used the
>> daughters car to finish up last week of work. Now that I'm on
>> vacation, I jacked up the jeep yesterday, and it sounded like the
>> brake pads ( the vehicle was inspected a couple of months back, and
>> they passed it with a note that the pads would need to be replaced
>> soon). So, wife drives into the city and picks up new pads on her way
>> home from work. I replace them, and I'm still getting the noise on the
>> passenger side when I spin the tire. Does it with the vehicle lifted
>> and when the tires are straight. This same noise was also made when
>> the vehicle was on the ground/stationary, and turning the steering. I
>> replaced the hub assy last fall. I looked at the u-joint, and didn't
>> notice any play...but, I know looks can be deceiving.
>>
>> Any thoughts? Am I looking at replacing the u-joint, or do I
>> have a defective hub assy?
>>
>> Thnks,
>> Eric in NNY

>I would cut the wheels hard to the side and then hand spin the wheel
>while feeling the u-joint...
>
>Mike
>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
>Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
>(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

Did that...makes the same noise if the wheels are cut too the left,
right...or jacked up and straight.
Old June 13th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

A wheel weight hitting your rotor rock deflector?
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 13th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
§qu@re Wheels[_5_]

Default Grind/Click Sound - Front Axhole

On this particular day of this month, in the Year Of The Golden Pig, L.W.
(Bill) Hughes III did state:

> A wheel weight hitting your rotor rock deflector?
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Now how in hell would you know, Gasbag?

You know /nothing/ that google doesn't whisper in your flabby ears.

And yes, they are in fact flabby. And they match your blotchy alkie's
complexion and bloodshot eyes, too.

Now be a good little Mad Hatter and go **** up a rope.

From: (via teranews)

> > Reported to:
, ,

> And they are very tired of you.

Yes, there's a bitch that replies to me, kinda telling me the
problem's with the Canadian Shaw's personnel. But prescience pays off and
long as you violate the groups charter, or just Usenet's common decency,
I'll be there to report you. You being a traitor is a especial incentive.

Old June 13th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

There you go again, from the biggest loser of them all! The jealous,
really jealous, I can't believe how jealous this little draft dodging coward
schizophrenic psychopath liar hiding in Vancouver via
S0106000ea6ba70e7.vn.shawcable.net 24.86.24.251 who's
only way to get attention is to make a fool of it's self. With an obsession
with perverts and goats, where it writes via remailers, and cross posts to
other perverts to no one's surprise. With extreme jealous ranting over my
documents, possessions, successes, manliness and super Southern California
surfing body, beard, and loving family. Committing forgery over many of them
proving I'm a responsible American man. You remind me of a little rat dog,
like a Mexican Chiwawa with it's senseless barking, me too, me too. You're
even more senile than I first thought. And the poor thing, you're too girlie
to take responsibility for yourself again, by signing your statement like a
man.
That really thinks the group's members are so stupid not to know it's
the same coward, you posting over and over again using schizophrenic
psychopath forge up names???????
You're not worth any more time when a cut and paste this same paragraph
it fits so well!
But, now with this cross post worth a forwarding to:
, , ,
,
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

newsoMbi.18743$1i1.3184@pd7urf3no...

Old June 13th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jesus H. Chrysler, Esq.

You misunderstood again.

The OP said:

> jacked up and straight.

You are neither; just jacked off and gay.

From: (via teranews)

> > Reported to:
, ,

Old June 13th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

[...]
But, now worth a forwarding to:
,
, , ,

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

"Jesus H. Chrysler, Esq." > wrote in message
><snip queer fantasies over goats and my body, and the jealous senile

babbling over my accomplishments and conquests>

Old June 13th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:02:52 -0400, Mike Romain >

>>> 97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual
>>> noise during slow speed tight turns. Parked the Jeep and used the
>>> daughters car to finish up last week of work. Now that I'm on
>>> vacation, I jacked up the jeep yesterday, and it sounded like the
>>> brake pads ( the vehicle was inspected a couple of months back, and
>>> they passed it with a note that the pads would need to be replaced
>>> soon). So, wife drives into the city and picks up new pads on her way
>>> home from work. I replace them, and I'm still getting the noise on the
>>> passenger side when I spin the tire. Does it with the vehicle lifted
>>> and when the tires are straight. This same noise was also made when
>>> the vehicle was on the ground/stationary, and turning the steering. I
>>> replaced the hub assy last fall. I looked at the u-joint, and didn't
>>> notice any play...but, I know looks can be deceiving.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? Am I looking at replacing the u-joint, or do I
>>> have a defective hub assy?
>>>
>>> Thnks,
>>> Eric in NNY

>> I would cut the wheels hard to the side and then hand spin the wheel
>> while feeling the u-joint...
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
>> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>> Jan/06
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

> Did that...makes the same noise if the wheels are cut too the left,
> right...or jacked up and straight.

"What" is making the same noise?

If you hold your hand on the u-joint and 'feel' it while slowly moving
the wheel when cut to the side, you should be able to 'feel' the clicks.

Are there any rust stains near the u-joint caps?

Are the u-joints greasable (either a zerk on the X or little plugs on
the ends of the caps) and have they been greased?

Mike
Old June 13th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

First thing I'd look at is the steering knuckle U-joint. Look for a
trace of rust around the rim of the rubber seal on the joint cups. Jack
it up, put transfer case in 4wd, try turning the wheel back and forth
see if you get ANY play in the joint. Mike mentioned cutting it hard, do
that both left and right.

If you recently replaced the hub, replacing the U-joint should take
less than an hour. On a 10 year old vehicle, you are about due.

a3 clutch click sound ... canoe Audi 4 May 9th 07 06:50 AM
YJ front axle sound nrs Jeep 6 May 8th 06 02:16 PM
97 Wrangler 4L steering click sound Antoine F C Jeep 2 November 20th 05 10:56 PM
'Click' sound under XJ L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 4 June 1st 05 01:20 AM
Click sound from wheels, Integra aerorea Honda 3 May 14th 05 08:49 PM