Amazing Invisible Cones!

Old September 7th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sharon

Default Amazing Invisible Cones!

I saw the most bizarre thing on the way to work this morning. I was
driving on city streets, in Reston, Virginia. As I came to a red light I
stopped with several cars in front of me, but still had a pretty clear view of
the opposing direction of traffic. The street was two lanes in each direction
with both right and left turn pockets. At the front of the line coming back
toward me, in the left-hand straight lane, there was a VDOT or road-worker's
truck. A guy hopped off it and placed a cone in the middle of the left turn
pocket, just behind the crosswalk. As he was doing this, a couple of cars
behind him pulled over into the turn lane. Since he placed a cone directly in
front of the first car, and she didn't seem at all bothered, this caught my
attention, so I looked more.
As I went through the intersection, I noticed that the entire left-turn
pocket was coned off but there were about 6 cars in it. I'm pretty sure that
the cars at the end of the line didn't realize that the first car had a cone
smack-dab in front of her, but surely they noticed the cones running along
between the lanes! Apparently every one of them squeezed between the cones
and pulled into the turn lane.
As their light turned green, the work truck threw on it's signal to
make a right turn (from the left lane, of course) and nearly got hit by a van
behind it as it crossed in front of two lanes of traffic to make it's turn.
I SOOOO wanted to just park and watch and see what they were going to
do, but I had to get to work. I wonder how long it took them to get out of the
coned-off area...

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Old September 7th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"Sharon" > wrote in message
> I saw the most bizarre thing on the way to work this morning. I was
> driving on city streets, in Reston, Virginia. As I came to a red light I
> stopped with several cars in front of me, but still had a pretty clear
> view of
> the opposing direction of traffic. The street was two lanes in each
> direction
> with both right and left turn pockets. At the front of the line coming
> back
> toward me, in the left-hand straight lane, there was a VDOT or
> road-worker's
> truck. A guy hopped off it and placed a cone in the middle of the left
> turn
> pocket, just behind the crosswalk. As he was doing this, a couple of cars
> behind him pulled over into the turn lane. Since he placed a cone
> directly in
> front of the first car, and she didn't seem at all bothered, this caught
> my
> attention, so I looked more.
> As I went through the intersection, I noticed that the entire left-turn
> pocket was coned off but there were about 6 cars in it. I'm pretty sure
> that
> the cars at the end of the line didn't realize that the first car had a
> cone
> smack-dab in front of her, but surely they noticed the cones running along
> between the lanes! Apparently every one of them squeezed between the
> cones
> and pulled into the turn lane.
> As their light turned green, the work truck threw on it's signal to
> make a right turn (from the left lane, of course) and nearly got hit by a
> van
> behind it as it crossed in front of two lanes of traffic to make it's
> turn.
> I SOOOO wanted to just park and watch and see what they were going to
> do, but I had to get to work. I wonder how long it took them to get out
> of the
> coned-off area...
>
> - Sharon
> "Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

That's a funny story. Every time I've seen a lane closed, it was a team
effort with local cops running interference. That is, cop car would park
(with lights flashing) at the point where the lane was first going to be
closed off, so that nobody could get into that lane without pushing the cop
car out of the way. Then the truck with the cones would start closing off
the lane at the cop car end. -Dave

Old September 7th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

For construction on the major highways, California often has a Highway
Patrol car sitting there the entire time, perhaps as a "This means you"
footnote to all the construction-ahead signs and lane-closure
indications.

Quite often, when possible, a big orange highway department truck or
two -- sometimes with a sort of hydraulic lift appendage on back filled
with "attenuators" -- is also interposed between the idiots and the
highway workers.

Maybe the penalty for the sort of thing the original poster witnessed
should be making the offending drivers sit in their cars in a
construction zone all day wearing orange cones on their heads like
dunce caps.

--Joe

Old September 8th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_4_]

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> For construction on the major highways, California often has a Highway
> Patrol car sitting there the entire time, perhaps as a "This means you"
> footnote to all the construction-ahead signs and lane-closure
> indications.
>
> Quite often, when possible, a big orange highway department truck or
> two -- sometimes with a sort of hydraulic lift appendage on back filled
> with "attenuators" -- is also interposed between the idiots and the
> highway workers.
>
> Maybe the penalty for the sort of thing the original poster witnessed
> should be making the offending drivers sit in their cars in a
> construction zone all day wearing orange cones on their heads like
> dunce caps.
>
> --Joe

Or even better . . . any cars in the cone zone are booted so that they can't
be moved until after construction is complete. Yes, I'm evil. -Dave

Old September 8th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Maybe the penalty for the sort of thing the original poster witnessed
> should be making the offending drivers sit in their cars in a
> construction zone all day wearing orange cones on their heads like
> dunce caps.

Classic!

brink

Old September 9th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: Scott en Aztlán

>That's nothing - around here, we have invisible BUSES! Hang around at
>any bus stop long enough, and eventually you will see a bus with a
>long line of cars stuck behind it, blocking the intersection as their
>light turns red. Apparently OCTA buses are equipped with a cloaking
>device; the bus only has to de-cloak in order to load or discharge
>passengers, which often catches automobile drivers off guard.

Wow, your MTA must purchase it's buses from the same manufacturer as
our local MTA.

I *believe* that the cloaking device used by the buses must somehow
interface with a special coating on the windshields of the automobile
in question. Evidently, when my car was being built, the incompetent
UAW workers forgot to coat my windshield with this magic coating. That
might explain why I'm able to see these buses blocks away but most
drivers don't notice them until they stop.

I do, however, take great solace in the knowledge that there's a good
chance those drivers will join the 42,000 morons per year who have
their driver's licenses permanently revoked.

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.

AMAZING NEW LIQUID FUEL CATALYST!!!!!!!!!! Zillionaire Technology 1 July 4th 06 10:46 PM
The Invisible SUV gpsman Driving 1 February 2nd 06 06:19 PM
Advice on saftey cones vs saftey triangles? [email protected] Technology 12 January 11th 06 05:19 AM
Invisible License Plates aRKay Corvette 12 September 14th 04 03:32 AM