engine rebuilt, ways to transition

Old November 9th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
helene

Default engine rebuilt, ways to transition

so I had this v6 engine rebuilt (for the sake of example, assume any generic engine)
with all new top of the line parts, some oem, some original parts

what are some methods to correctly transition the engine into normal use? I mean, more
frequent oil changes initially? accelerating slowly? being super cautions the 1st 800
miles?

if none of those apply or something else does, please post

Old November 9th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

helene wrote:
> so I had this v6 engine rebuilt (for the sake of example, assume any generic engine)
> with all new top of the line parts, some oem, some original parts
>
> what are some methods to correctly transition the engine into normal use? I mean, more
> frequent oil changes initially? accelerating slowly? being super cautions the 1st 800
> miles?
>
> if none of those apply or something else does, please post

Rebuilt by whom? The warranty on the engine will probably have some
specific requirements, so be sure to find those out from the rebuilder
themselves. Also, there's really no such thing as "any generic
engine". Different engines require different procedures, based upon
whether the block or head is made of aluminum or iron. If you've
rebuilt it yourself, the rebuild kit instructions might mention it.

Has the engine been run for the first time yet? Usually this involves
setting the idle up around 1500RPM and letting it run with no load for
an hour or so (depending). But this might be different for your
engine. Usually you want to change the oil at the first 1000 miles,
but check with the rebuilder/remanufacturer. They may insist that you
have them change the oil (so they can inspect it).

Once again- take all this with a grain of salt, but get documentation
from the rebuilder. They will have a very specific procedure for all
of this, along with things like head bolt retorqing intervals, valve
adjustments and the like, if necessary.

-phaeton

Old November 9th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"helene" > wrote in message
> so I had this v6 engine rebuilt (for the sake of example, assume any
> generic engine) with all new top of the line parts, some oem, some
> original parts
>
> what are some methods to correctly transition the engine into normal use?
> I mean, more frequent oil changes initially? accelerating slowly? being
> super cautions the 1st 800 miles?
>
> if none of those apply or something else does, please post

I, perhaps singularly, always recommend frequent oil changes.

At first, do not over stress the engine. Drive it for a few hundred miles
near home and at reasonable
speeds and accelerations just in case something wimps out on you.

After 200-500 miles, approximately, you can probably rest assured that the
engine was put together
reasonably, and that the likelihood for a sudden failure is decreasingly
small.

Everything depends upon the quality of the machine work, parts, and rebuild
technique. A rebuilt
engine can be as good as, or better than, the original, but some arent.

Give it a calm and decent breakin, and take care of it .. I wish you well.

Old November 9th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lhead

hls wrote:
> "helene" > wrote in message
> > so I had this v6 engine rebuilt (for the sake of example, assume any
> > generic engine) with all new top of the line parts, some oem, some
> > original parts
> >
> > what are some methods to correctly transition the engine into normal use?
> > I mean, more frequent oil changes initially? accelerating slowly? being
> > super cautions the 1st 800 miles?
> >
> > if none of those apply or something else does, please post

> I, perhaps singularly, always recommend frequent oil changes.
>
> At first, do not over stress the engine. Drive it for a few hundred miles
> near home and at reasonable
> speeds and accelerations just in case something wimps out on you.
>
> After 200-500 miles, approximately, you can probably rest assured that the
> engine was put together
> reasonably, and that the likelihood for a sudden failure is decreasingly
> small.
>
> Everything depends upon the quality of the machine work, parts, and rebuild
> technique. A rebuilt
> engine can be as good as, or better than, the original, but some arent.
>
> Give it a calm and decent breakin, and take care of it .. I wish you well.

One thing I've always heard about rebuilds is to vary the speed and
load applied to the engine for the first 3-5 hundred miles This is
supposed to help the piston rings/newly honed cylinder get acquainted
process.
Also, just my $.02. When I used to rebuild Volkswagen and Corvair air
cooled motors, I'd change the oil and filter after the 1 hour initial
2000 RPM run-in period, again at 50 miles, and again at 500 miles.
Reason being, in that first hour, there's a lot of internal "machining"
happening. Main and rod bearings, cam bearings, ring and cylinder wear
patterns being established, etc. That all liberates metal (most of it
very small) and puts it into the oil. I just felt better getting that
floating around metal out of the engine asap. And time your run in. An
hour of running at 2000 RPM seems like 10 when you're standing there
waiting for it to pass.

Old November 10th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Carl[_6_]

hls wrote:
> At first, do not over stress the engine.

read this

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm