55 Tbird OD question

Old March 17th 04, 12:49 AM
John Alt

Default 55 Tbird OD question

Three speed manual OD, totally stock top to bottom. The car no longer
goes into OD as of last week. Thinking it was electrical, I grounded the
red wire to the relay. I get a nice clunk in both the relay and the
solenoid on the side of the transmission. Thinking it might be
the governor or kickdown switch, I take it out for a run to be sure that
solved it, with a solid connection to ground on the red wire. No good.
On to the OD cable. It goes all the way to the stop, works as smooth as
always, and looks perfect. Anything else to check, or am I looking at a
teardown?
Old March 18th 04, 09:27 PM
Nate Nagel

John Alt > wrote in message >...
> Three speed manual OD, totally stock top to bottom. The car no longer
> goes into OD as of last week. Thinking it was electrical, I grounded the
> red wire to the relay. I get a nice clunk in both the relay and the
> solenoid on the side of the transmission. Thinking it might be
> the governor or kickdown switch, I take it out for a run to be sure that
> solved it, with a solid connection to ground on the red wire. No good.
> On to the OD cable. It goes all the way to the stop, works as smooth as
> always, and looks perfect. Anything else to check, or am I looking at a
> teardown?

I'm guessing this is a Borg Warner T85 tranny, yes? Might want to
post your question to alt.autos.studebaker as the BW OD was very
popular in those cars for some reason and there's lots of
knowledgeable folks on there.

I'm thinking of swapping one into my '56 Golden Hawk actually... if I
don't sell the whole car that is...

nate

Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM