2001 Dodge Caravan Brakes

Old August 15th 04, 06:22 AM
M K

Default 2001 Dodge Caravan Brakes

2001 Caravan with 63000 km (4 wheel discs) brake pedal pulsing and steering
wheel vibration when braking at higher speeds (still felt at slower speeds
but not as much). This is the second caravan (1999) I have owned that
developed this problem at the same mileage. Anyone with the same
experience? Is this generally around the point for a front brake job with
rotors? What is a reasonable cost for front brakes with and without rotors.
All advice appreciated.

Old August 15th 04, 12:24 PM
res0f8mp

sounds like your frt rotors are warped.
frt brake job is usually less than 100.00
not sure about rotor prices.

Old August 15th 04, 12:24 PM
res0f8mp

Old August 15th 04, 02:56 PM
Charlie

I have the same problem with my 2001 Grand Caravan (most noticeable over 40
mph), replacing front pads and turning rotors reduced but did not eliminate
the problem. The dealer thinks that maybe the rear brakes are the problem.

Old August 15th 04, 02:56 PM
Charlie

Old August 16th 04, 04:26 AM
Dan C

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:22:18 +0000, M K wrote:

> 2001 Caravan with 63000 km (4 wheel discs) brake pedal pulsing and steering
> wheel vibration when braking at higher speeds (still felt at slower speeds
> but not as much). This is the second caravan (1999) I have owned that
> developed this problem at the same mileage. Anyone with the same
> experience? Is this generally around the point for a front brake job with
> rotors? What is a reasonable cost for front brakes with and without rotors.
> All advice appreciated.

I'd say the front rotors are warped. Should be less than $50 to have both
of them turned at a shop. If there's a Sears near you, you can have it
done while you wait probably.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old August 16th 04, 04:26 AM
Dan C

Old August 16th 04, 05:35 AM
Gene Poon

Dan C wrote:

> I'd say the front rotors are warped. Should be less than $50 to have both
> of them turned at a shop. If there's a Sears near you, you can have it
> done while you wait probably.

My local Pep Boys turns rotors for something like $12 each. However,
some rotors are not that expensive. Recently when I did the front
brakes on a Ford Taurus with 125,000 miles on it, I elected to spend $24
each for new rotors instead. The old ones are still in service, though.
They make good tarpaulin weights if you don't mind them rusting.

-GP
Old August 16th 04, 05:35 AM
Gene Poon