1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6

Old July 2nd 05, 06:20 PM
Julie Murrman

Default 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6

While commuting to and from work (60 miles on interstate hwy) it sounds like
I'm driving on a set of knobby off road tires (the tires are BF Goodrich
radials). All emissions/exhaust have been replaced and passed inspection
within pass week.

Any ideas?

Old July 6th 05, 01:35 PM
John

Universal joints??

Old July 6th 05, 07:18 PM
James C. Reeves

"Julie Murrman" > wrote in message
> While commuting to and from work (60 miles on interstate hwy) it sounds
> like
> I'm driving on a set of knobby off road tires (the tires are BF Goodrich
> radials). All emissions/exhaust have been replaced and passed inspection
> within pass week.
>
> Any ideas?

Are the tires "cupping".

Old July 9th 05, 06:34 AM
James Goforth

I would normally concur with the other posters here but on this
particular vehicle I would also suspect the motormounts, which are prone
to failure because of the way people have to have give them so much
throttle (damn near floor it) just to get them to move.
My TBI 3.9 was such a dog you had to "drive it like you're mad at it."
The worn-out motormount will kind of sounds like you're going down a
gravel road although you're on smooth pavement.
If that's what it sounds like, check the mounts.
Otherwise, note whether it makes the noise under acceleration only, or
all the time, etc. Depending on that, you may try going down the street
about 20-25 and killing the engine (push in clutch if equipped) and
seeing if that changes it (or makes it disappear, indicating a bad
motormount)

Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
1994 Dodge Dakota coil dodgedakota 4x4 0 March 12th 05 04:57 PM
202 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Brakes Randy Harbison Dodge 0 July 21st 04 02:31 AM
1988 Dodge Ram B350 1 Ton Van for sale (Vancouver, BC, Canada) Chris Dodge 0 June 9th 04 12:51 AM