ignition switch problem 2008 Impala

Old January 3rd 11, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default ignition switch problem 2008 Impala

Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago
where every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and
brake pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off"
so that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and
no amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the
key to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight
and then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to
my 11AM meeting.

Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.

Two questions:

1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
lit, and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the
car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little
over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
(it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
mornings, etc.)

2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
another 50K miles, hopefully more?

thanks,

Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 3rd 11, 10:43 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
hls

You will doubtlessly get a better answer than mine, Nate, but I think
the problem is in the switch itself. As I remember from the olden days,
most switches had to have the steering wheel at the right spot to be
able to extract the key. If that were not right, you couldnt get it out.

If you parked such that there was pressure on the steering system, you
might not be able to operate the lock.

Also, the switch (tumblers and key lands) itself must me within specs.
Wear, etc, could hang you up here.

Are you using a re-cut key? Do you have a fresh key to try?

Hope you get this sorted out quickly. Not only irritating but a little
dangerous
Old January 3rd 11, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/03/2011 05:43 PM, hls wrote:
> You will doubtlessly get a better answer than mine, Nate, but I think
> the problem is in the switch itself. As I remember from the olden days,
> most switches had to have the steering wheel at the right spot to be
> able to extract the key. If that were not right, you couldnt get it out.
>
> If you parked such that there was pressure on the steering system, you
> might not be able to operate the lock.

don't think that's the problem, although I am familiar with it working
the other way (not being able to *start* the car because of pressure on
steering shaft/lock) because car has power steering and I am also in the
habit of letting go of steering wheel while trying to turn off key
(because of issues with other cars and binding steering linkages and
no-start, above) also I did try wiggling the steering wheel to no effect.

> Also, the switch (tumblers and key lands) itself must me within specs.
> Wear, etc, could hang you up here.
> Are you using a re-cut key? Do you have a fresh key to try?

using a copy of the one key that I got with the car. I do have that key
but that is typically safely tucked away in drawer

> Hope you get this sorted out quickly. Not only irritating but a little
> dangerous

indeed... I can lock the car with the remote fob and leave the key in
if I have to (in fact, I have deliberately done that a few times, e.g.
cold mornings when stopping for a cup of coffee at store before inside
is warmed up. But that is not an ideal long term solution.

nate

Old January 4th 11, 01:42 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:33:05 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
>turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago
>where every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and
>brake pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off"
>so that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and
>no amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the
>key to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight
>and then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to
>my 11AM meeting.
>
>Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
>and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
>my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
>moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
>out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
>the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
>close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
>pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
>parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
>from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
>lit, and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the
>car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
>trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little
>over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
>reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
>(it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
>mornings, etc.)
>
>2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
>think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
>intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
>will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
>that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
>where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
>service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
>replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
>another 50K miles, hopefully more?

There's an interlock between the shifter and ignition lock. The lock
must be told that the car is in park for it to allow you to turn it
all the way off. It's either a cable or solenoid, and it's probably
still a very common problem. The dealer will know exactly what you're
talking about.
Old January 4th 11, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
> turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago
> where every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and
> brake pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off"
> so that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and
> no amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the
> key to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight
> and then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to
> my 11AM meeting.
>
> Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
> and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
> my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
> moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
> out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
> the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
> close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
> pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
> parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
> from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
> lit, and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the
> car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
> trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little
> over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
> reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
> (it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
> mornings, etc.)
>
> 2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
> think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
> intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
> will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
> that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
> where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
> service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
> replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
> another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate

Sounds like the ignition switch interlock solenoid is getting sticky. It
is a small solenoid that normally prevents you from shutting the key all
the way off while the vehicle is in gear and in motion. It allows you to
shut the engine off but not get to the lock position. It is NOT the same
one that locks you from shifting gears unless the brake is pressed.

Usually you will find a small plug or hole in the bottom of the steering
column in the area of the ignition switch. If you stick a small straight
object in the hole you will find a spring loaded plunger that will move
the solenoid and allow you to turn the ignition off and get the key out.

As to the repair, there are two options, new solenoid (not hard to
replace) or remove it and just leave the wire unplugged IF the solenoid
doesn't have to be connected (most don't)

I have done this on about 5 vehicles that I own. I figure I'm smart
enough that I won't lock the column if I have to kill the engine.

GM has a bulletin out BUT they have discovered that the fix they do
doesn't always work. I sent you a copy.

--
Steve W.
Old January 4th 11, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 1/3/2011 12:33 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
> turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago where
> every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and brake
> pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off" so
> that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and no
> amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the key
> to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight and
> then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to my
> 11AM meeting.
>
> Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
> and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
> my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
> moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
> out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
> the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
> close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
> pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
> parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
> from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are lit,
> and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the car
> like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
> trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little over
> 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
> reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
> (it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
> mornings, etc.)
>
> 2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
> think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
> intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
> will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
> that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
> where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
> service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
> replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
> another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate

You might want to make sure the shifter is in Park position. You should
also try putting it into drive and into Park several times to see if
that releases the key. If it does there's some problem with the
interlock on the shifter. Well, that's my guess anyway.
Old January 4th 11, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/03/2011 10:13 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> [...]

> shut the engine off but not get to the lock position. It is NOT the same
> one that locks you from shifting gears unless the brake is pressed.
>
> Usually you will find a small plug or hole in the bottom of the steering
> column in the area of the ignition switch. If you stick a small straight
> object in the hole you will find a spring loaded plunger that will move
> the solenoid and allow you to turn the ignition off and get the key out.
>
> As to the repair, there are two options, new solenoid (not hard to
> replace) or remove it and just leave the wire unplugged IF the solenoid
> doesn't have to be connected (most don't)
>
> I have done this on about 5 vehicles that I own. I figure I'm smart
> enough that I won't lock the column if I have to kill the engine.
>
> GM has a bulletin out BUT they have discovered that the fix they do

got your email, thanks. also sounds like you might be onto something
with your assumption of what the problem may be. I'll have to check it
out tomorrow while it's light out, and be prepared to try to release it
manually next time it does it to confirm the problem.

nate

Old January 4th 11, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jan 3, 5:33*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
> turned to the "off" position? *Started maybe a month and a half ago
> where every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and
> brake pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off"
> so that I could remove the key. *Just this evening it happened again and
> no amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the
> key to release. *I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight
> and then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to
> my 11AM meeting.
>
> Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
> and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
> my car was blocking his path back into the garage. *So I went back out,
> moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
> out. *Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
> the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
> close to level, maybe slightly nose down. *But after this happened I
> pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
> parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
> from "off." *Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
> lit, and the heater fan is not running. *If I had to, could I leave the
> car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
> trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? *Car has a little
> over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
> reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
> (it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
> mornings, etc.)
>
> 2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
> think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
> intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
> will be productive. *Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
> that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
> where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
> service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
> replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
> another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

what condition is the key itself in?? Worn keys can cause problems
too. If the key is fine it's most likely the lock cylinder that is
bad..
Old January 4th 11, 12:21 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

On 1/3/2011 5:33 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
> turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago where
> every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and brake
> pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off" so
> that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and no
> amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the key
> to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight and
> then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to my
> 11AM meeting.
>
> Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
> and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
> my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
> moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
> out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
> the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
> close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
> pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
> parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
> from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are lit,
> and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the car
> like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
> trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little over
> 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
> reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
> (it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
> mornings, etc.)
>
> 2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
> think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
> intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
> will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
> that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
> where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
> service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
> replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
> another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate

I not sure if this applies but many years of this model had a cable
between floor shifter and switch that is adjustable. The adjustment is
at about the middle of the cable.
Old January 4th 11, 12:50 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

wrote:

>Anyone know of any issue that would commonly keep the key from being
>turned to the "off" position? Started maybe a month and a half ago
>where every now and then I would have to play with the key, shifter, and
>brake pedal for a while until I could turn the key all the way to "off"
>so that I could remove the key. Just this evening it happened again and
>no amount of playing, starting/stopping engine, whatever would get the
>key to release. I was resigned to leaving the key in the car overnight
>and then having to drop it off somewhere and take my pickemup truck to
>my 11AM meeting.
>
>Now when I came inside the house, I realized that there was nobody home
>and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
>my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
>moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
>out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
>the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
>close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
>pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
>parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
>from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
>lit, and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the
>car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
>trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little
>over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
>reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
>(it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
>mornings, etc.)
>
>2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
>think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
>intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
>will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
>that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
>where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
>service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
>replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
>another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>
>thanks,
>
>Nate

I googled around a bit for this problem because the Impala is a car I
might buy.

Here are a couple relevant links.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/32me...-not-turn.html

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...-key-will.html

The first talks about the shifter solenoid, the second about the
shifter cable.
Both are in the shifter console, so getting in there should provide
the answer.
I don't know how your maintenance guys work or their rules, but
somebody has to get in there to find the answer.
A case of beer might work.
..
Second link includes this from the mech:
"If the key in your car will not turn all of the way off I would
suggest lifting the cover shown earlier and spray some good lubricant
on the plastic pawl and work it back and forth by hand to free it up
and allow the key to turn all of the way off."

He also says don't force the key.
That case the key had been forced and added up to bucks.
Only thing needed was a cleaning of the shifter.

--Vic