This is the worst sounding idea I've heard of in a long time.

Old January 20th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Default This is the worst sounding idea I've heard of in a long time.

Hydro Boost brakes. I had heard of them before and I knew they
existed, but I didn't understand how they balance you on the brink of
disaster should something go wrong.

My friend's girlfriend was driving his 2000 Savanna today, when
apparently the power steering pump failed. Not only did she lose
power assist in the steering, but the brake pedal sank to the floor
and became immovable. Basically, no steering or brakes. Fortunately
all she did was sideswipe a parked car, but a few minutes before that
she was on the freeway.

My buddy went to go 'rescue' her, because she couldn't drive the van
anymore. He figured she was just weak (because she's a girl) and that
he'd be able to muscle the van home. But to his surprise it took
everything he had to turn the wheel even a couple of inches while the
van was rolling. And there really are no brakes. Even when standing
on the pedal, there's no usable stopping power. Fluid level is good,
belt is intact, no external leaks, pump turns when the engine does,
but no power assist in anything.

I realize that systems fail and these things happen, but it seems like
a pretty bad idea to have steering AND braking power so interrelated.
Pump failures are probably rare, but tossing a belt usually isn't, and
it seems like that could have had the same result.

My buddy's van is wrecked, and now he'll have an insurance situation
for the other car that got damaged. He's glad his girlfriend is
alright, and nobody got seriously hurt, but sheesh.

-J
Old January 20th 11, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

On a trip our Buick lost a belt pulley and the belt was thrown.
It wrapped around all sorts of things and I immediate lost power steering.

My memory tells me I lost brakes too, but that does not make sense
unless the Buick had a system similar to what you describe.

I am a strong guy, but could almost not steer off the freeway.

This setup is dangerous. I made it, but my wife could not have done so.

Old January 20th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
That Tune

"hls" > wrote in message
> On a trip our Buick lost a belt pulley and the belt was thrown.
> It wrapped around all sorts of things and I immediate lost power steering.
>
> My memory tells me I lost brakes too, but that does not make sense
> unless the Buick had a system similar to what you describe.
>
> I am a strong guy, but could almost not steer off the freeway.
>
> This setup is dangerous. I made it, but my wife could not have done so.

How did a press and hold button (a la an ATX based PC) to stop
the engine escape regulators notice and receive approval? How
many computer illiterate and elderly drivers, who've driven for years
w/o such a feature, would be aware of this requirement? Even most
industrial machines require an immediate stop braking device. "Get
government off industry's back" indeed. These days, corporations
write the rules by which they're "regulated".