ignition switch problem 2008 Impala

Old January 7th 11, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
hls

Default ignition switch problem 2008 Impala

Old January 11th 11, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/03/2011 10:13 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> [...]
>> and therefore my friend's truck was not in the garage as I thought, so
>> my car was blocking his path back into the garage. So I went back out,
>> moved the car to the yard beside the driveway, and the key came right
>> out. Only thing I could think that is pertinent is that when parked in
>> the driveway the car was sitting nose up; when in the yard was pretty
>> close to level, maybe slightly nose down. But after this happened I
>> pulled back into the driveway again and was able to remove the key, then
>> parked car in the yard a second time and was also able to remove the key.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) when the issue occurs, the key is in the very first position forward
>> from "off." Only the "brake" warning light and PRNDL indication are
>> lit, and the heater fan is not running. If I had to, could I leave the
>> car like this overnight, or if this happens again, should I hook up a
>> trickle charger so as not to run down the battery? Car has a little
>> over 50K miles on it and still has original battery, although I have no
>> reason to believe that the battery is in anything other than fine shape
>> (it's never run dead, I've not experienced slow cranking even on cold
>> mornings, etc.)
>>
>> 2) I'd really like to get this fixed before the car goes off lease (I
>> think I may buy it) in another 20K miles, but seeing as the problem is
>> intermittent and does not occur often, I'm not sure if taking it in now
>> will be productive. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or anything like
>> that regarding this kind of issue, and/or is there a common problem
>> where if I take the car in and describe the issue as I have above, the
>> service writer will say "oh, yeah, it's your doomaflatchey" and
>> replacing the doomaflatchey will actually fix the problem for at least
>> another 50K miles, hopefully more?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Nate

> Sounds like the ignition switch interlock solenoid is getting sticky. It
> is a small solenoid that normally prevents you from shutting the key all
> the way off while the vehicle is in gear and in motion. It allows you to
> shut the engine off but not get to the lock position. It is NOT the same
> one that locks you from shifting gears unless the brake is pressed.
>
> Usually you will find a small plug or hole in the bottom of the steering
> column in the area of the ignition switch. If you stick a small straight
> object in the hole you will find a spring loaded plunger that will move
> the solenoid and allow you to turn the ignition off and get the key out.
>
> As to the repair, there are two options, new solenoid (not hard to
> replace) or remove it and just leave the wire unplugged IF the solenoid
> doesn't have to be connected (most don't)
>
> I have done this on about 5 vehicles that I own. I figure I'm smart
> enough that I won't lock the column if I have to kill the engine.
>
> GM has a bulletin out BUT they have discovered that the fix they do

It's doing it again right now, haven't seemed to find the magic touch to
jiggle it loose, there are several holes under the column but none seems
to release the key...?

am actually home sick and not supposed to go to work for another week
(just got back from doctor) so would really like to get this key out
rather than run the battery down

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 11th 11, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 1/11/2011 8:26 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

> It's doing it again right now, haven't seemed to find the magic touch to
> jiggle it loose, there are several holes under the column but none seems
> to release the key...?
>
> am actually home sick and not supposed to go to work for another week
> (just got back from doctor) so would really like to get this key out
> rather than run the battery down

I think you're looking in the wrong area. I don't know about GM but my
Hyundai and Toyota won't release the key until the shift lever is in
park. That's where you should be checking. Check the shifter by putting
it in drive and then to park until you're able to take out the key. It
would probably help if you were firm about it.

Old January 11th 11, 07:52 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 10:13 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>
> It's doing it again right now, haven't seemed to find the magic touch to
> jiggle it loose, there are several holes under the column but none seems
> to release the key...?
>
> am actually home sick and not supposed to go to work for another week
> (just got back from doctor) so would really like to get this key out
> rather than run the battery down
>
> nate

Usually you need a pen or similar to hit the plunger. Most of the time
the key release hole will have a cap in/over it. On most of the ones I
have seen the cover is sort of clipped into a hole.

--
Steve W.
Old January 11th 11, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/11/2011 02:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/11/2011 8:26 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>> It's doing it again right now, haven't seemed to find the magic touch to
>> jiggle it loose, there are several holes under the column but none seems
>> to release the key...?
>>
>> am actually home sick and not supposed to go to work for another week
>> (just got back from doctor) so would really like to get this key out
>> rather than run the battery down

> I think you're looking in the wrong area. I don't know about GM but my
> Hyundai and Toyota won't release the key until the shift lever is in
> park. That's where you should be checking. Check the shifter by putting
> it in drive and then to park until you're able to take out the key. It
> would probably help if you were firm about it.
>

>> nate

tried that, no joy. I think I have located the problem. there is a
connector on the side of the shifter with a loose - as in dangling -
wire. the connector moves with the shifter so I am assuming it went
intermittent and then finally broke today. unfortuantely I cannot see
how to disconnect it. yes, I pulled the top of the console off in the
driveway just out of curiosity. Right now it's locked with the remote
but the key is still stuck in.

my shifter doesn't really look a lot like the ones in any of the links
posted (earlier body style)

Old January 11th 11, 08:37 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 02:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 1/11/2011 8:26 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>>
>>> It's doing it again right now, haven't seemed to find the magic touch to
>>> jiggle it loose, there are several holes under the column but none seems
>>> to release the key...?
>>>
>>> am actually home sick and not supposed to go to work for another week
>>> (just got back from doctor) so would really like to get this key out
>>> rather than run the battery down

>> I think you're looking in the wrong area. I don't know about GM but my
>> Hyundai and Toyota won't release the key until the shift lever is in
>> park. That's where you should be checking. Check the shifter by putting
>> it in drive and then to park until you're able to take out the key. It
>> would probably help if you were firm about it.
>>

>>> nate
>>>

> tried that, no joy. I think I have located the problem. there is a
> connector on the side of the shifter with a loose - as in dangling -
> wire. the connector moves with the shifter so I am assuming it went
> intermittent and then finally broke today. unfortuantely I cannot see
> how to disconnect it. yes, I pulled the top of the console off in the
> driveway just out of curiosity. Right now it's locked with the remote
> but the key is still stuck in.
>
> my shifter doesn't really look a lot like the ones in any of the links
> posted (earlier body style)

That is likely the wire that triggers the solenoid. Repair it and you
should be GTG.

Most of them have either a tab or a pin lock. Some are just a PIA
regardless.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old January 11th 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/11/2011 03:37 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> I think you're looking in the wrong area. I don't know about GM but my
>>> Hyundai and Toyota won't release the key until the shift lever is in
>>> park. That's where you should be checking. Check the shifter by putting
>>> it in drive and then to park until you're able to take out the key. It
>>> would probably help if you were firm about it.

>> tried that, no joy. I think I have located the problem. there is a
>> connector on the side of the shifter with a loose - as in dangling -
>> wire. the connector moves with the shifter so I am assuming it went
>> intermittent and then finally broke today. unfortuantely I cannot see
>> how to disconnect it. yes, I pulled the top of the console off in the
>> driveway just out of curiosity. Right now it's locked with the remote
>> but the key is still stuck in.
>>
>> my shifter doesn't really look a lot like the ones in any of the links
>> posted (earlier body style)

> That is likely the wire that triggers the solenoid. Repair it and you
> should be GTG.
>
> Most of them have either a tab or a pin lock. Some are just a PIA
> regardless.

Unfortunately I don't see how to do that without removing the whole
console... can't see how to remove the connector and not sure that I
could pull it above the console even if I did. And, I don't
particularly have a lot of patience at the moment, having been sick for
the last four days and all.

Maybe I can get a kind coworker to trade cars with me and run it into
the shop for me?

nate

Old January 11th 11, 10:15 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/11/2011 03:51 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 03:37 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> tried that, no joy. I think I have located the problem. there is a
>>> connector on the side of the shifter with a loose - as in dangling -
>>> wire. the connector moves with the shifter so I am assuming it went
>>> intermittent and then finally broke today. unfortuantely I cannot see
>>> how to disconnect it. yes, I pulled the top of the console off in the
>>> driveway just out of curiosity. Right now it's locked with the remote
>>> but the key is still stuck in.
>>>
>>> my shifter doesn't really look a lot like the ones in any of the links
>>> posted (earlier body style)

>> That is likely the wire that triggers the solenoid. Repair it and you
>> should be GTG.
>>
>> Most of them have either a tab or a pin lock. Some are just a PIA
>> regardless.
>>

> Unfortunately I don't see how to do that without removing the whole
> console... can't see how to remove the connector and not sure that I
> could pull it above the console even if I did. And, I don't particularly
> have a lot of patience at the moment, having been sick for the last four
> days and all.
>
> Maybe I can get a kind coworker to trade cars with me and run it into
> the shop for me?
>
> nate

well funk. neighbor just knocked on the door to say lights were on.
weren't when I came inside. car wouldn't start. put battery charger
on. hands now really, really cold. (I did mention I'd been sick? All
my normal resistance to cold weather is shot.) will see what's up in
AM. hope stupid automatic lights don't kick on again.

nate

Old January 11th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

http://www.devilfinder.com
2008 Impala can't remove ignition key

You might find something there that might be of help.I don't have an
Impala.
cuhulin