More On Left Lane Driving

Old December 11th 04, 01:57 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
news
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:28:46 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:

>>don't
>>
>>understand.

> You're absolutely right. I'll never understand your objection to
> KRETP.

I understand it perfectly;it's MFFY and rationalization.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old December 11th 04, 01:57 AM
Jim Yanik

Old December 11th 04, 06:03 PM
Carl Taylor

Dave Head wrote:

> >Multiply you
> >a few thousand times and that's why we have traffic jams much worse

and
> >longer than they need to be.

> We have traffic jams 'cuz they don't build enough roads around here,

that's
> all.

Most traffic jams are really the result of overpopulation, not a lack
of roads. Building more roads is a temporary fix unless growth finally
ends, but there's little hope of that with our immigration levels.
Witness Los Angeles County, an area with few places left to put roads,
and tremendous congestion. I don't see a solution to traffic jams
without a cessation of growth. But people are reluctant to think at
that level. They'll try in vain to build the problem out of existence
and it will keep getting worse.
C.T.

http://www.geocities.com/aggressive_driving/

Old December 11th 04, 06:03 PM
Carl Taylor

Old December 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Nate Nagel

Carl Taylor wrote:

> Dave Head wrote:
>

>>>Multiply you
>>>a few thousand times and that's why we have traffic jams much worse

> and
>
>>>longer than they need to be.

>>We have traffic jams 'cuz they don't build enough roads around here,

> that's
>
>>all.

> Most traffic jams are really the result of overpopulation, not a lack
> of roads. Building more roads is a temporary fix unless growth finally
> ends, but there's little hope of that with our immigration levels.
> Witness Los Angeles County, an area with few places left to put roads,
> and tremendous congestion. I don't see a solution to traffic jams
> without a cessation of growth. But people are reluctant to think at
> that level. They'll try in vain to build the problem out of existence
> and it will keep getting worse.
> C.T.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/aggressive_driving/

Driving courtesy could go a LONG way. Lack of KRETP causes "clots" in
traffic which disturbs its normal smooth flow, and in heavy traffic
situations, could be the disturbance that causes traffic to go from slow
but smooth to stop and go, as waves of cars hit their brakes.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Nate Nagel

Old December 12th 04, 02:54 AM
Brent P

In article .com>, Carl Taylor wrote:

> Most traffic jams are really the result of overpopulation, not a lack
> of roads.

Traffic jams are often the result of poor driving. They are made worse by
poor driving as well. Adding anoter lane means only neededing one more
idiot like carl here or judy to block it up.

Keep right except to pass and other simple methods where people consider
the road system instead of their selfish needs or control freak desires
could greatly increase the capacity of the roads we have.

Old December 12th 04, 02:54 AM
Brent P

Old December 12th 04, 06:59 AM
Jim Yanik

Nate Nagel > wrote in news:S9CdnU4gu_6CESbcRVn-
:

> Carl Taylor wrote:

>> and

>>>We have traffic jams 'cuz they don't build enough roads around here,

>> that's
>>
>>>all.

>> Most traffic jams are really the result of overpopulation, not a lack
>> of roads. Building more roads is a temporary fix unless growth finally
>> ends, but there's little hope of that with our immigration levels.
>> Witness Los Angeles County, an area with few places left to put roads,
>> and tremendous congestion. I don't see a solution to traffic jams
>> without a cessation of growth. But people are reluctant to think at
>> that level. They'll try in vain to build the problem out of existence
>> and it will keep getting worse.
>> C.T.

http://www.geocities.com/aggressive_driving/

> Driving courtesy could go a LONG way. Lack of KRETP causes "clots" in
> traffic which disturbs its normal smooth flow, and in heavy traffic
> situations, could be the disturbance that causes traffic to go from slow
> but smooth to stop and go, as waves of cars hit their brakes.
>
> nate

In Orlando,on the I-4 interstate that runs through the middle of
Orlando,the slowdowns are worst where there are left-entering or exiting
lanes.People try to immediately change over to the opposite side to get off
at the next exit.or they merge at sloth speeds,and cause everyone else to
hit the brakes.

The next biggest cause of slowdowns in the "clueless" driver,who drive like
they are the only ones on the road,regardless of what other traffic is
around them.Like the ones in a lane 2 or 3 over from where they need to
be,wait til the last minute,and slow or stop until someone lets them
over,holding up a couple of lanes of traffic in the meantime.(LML's)

Then there's spacing traffic lights too close to each other,like around
malls;not enough vehicles make it through each light cycle because they
catch the traffic waiting at the next light 150 yards down the road.

Then there's the sloth drivers who have to wait three car lengths before
moving,then creep away from a green light,holding up those behind and then
only a few cars make it thru one light cycle.Old drivers,SUVs and minivans
are a large part of this group.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net