94 Explorer EB A/C issue

Old July 31st 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

Default 94 Explorer EB A/C issue

Well turns out the system was actually low on R-114. The reading on
the cheap gauge was not accurate because of an issue with the low side
tap on the evaporator.
I found my hoses that goes to my gauges and hooked them up. Seems
that there is an issue with the needle valve on the evaporators tap.
Weird though as I cannot replace that valve.
Isnt that valve replaceable on 94 Evaporator??? I tried backing it
out but the needle valve tool that one uses to back the needle back
out caught onto nothing and it did not turn.

Needless to say once I charged the system the A/C was cold again.

Now I am worried about the low side tap leaking.

I guess I need to buy another evaporator since I cannot get the needle
valve out to replace it????

Making progress...at least the air is COLD since this week the temps
will be 100 with heat indexes of 110. Just worried about the system
leaking over time.

Sam in Raleigh.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!!
Old July 31st 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 06:43:15 -0400, Sam > wrote:

>Well turns out the system was actually low on R-114. The reading on
>the cheap gauge was not accurate because of an issue with the low side
>tap on the evaporator.
>I found my hoses that goes to my gauges and hooked them up. Seems
>that there is an issue with the needle valve on the evaporators tap.
>Weird though as I cannot replace that valve.
>Isnt that valve replaceable on 94 Evaporator???

Apparently this is the receive/dryer and not the Evaporator. I had
some conflicting information for parts identification.

The receiver/dryer has a defective needle valve and I am unable to
replace it. Some times the needle valve seats properly thus when I
put liquid on the tap to check for moisture leaks nothing bubbles up
but sometime after removing gauge hose the needle valve does not seat
properly and I have to insert a small pin tip to push it down and
allow it to spring back up to eventually the correct position.

This apparently is a suspected leak. Also not sure of the history of
this device as it is rather shiny kind of looking like it was replaced
by the original owner with hopefully the correct item.

Anyway just wanted to throw more info at you about what I am dealing
with. Like I said the A/C is very very cold now but for how long time
will tell.

I can take pictures and post here for your discussion.

Sam in Raleigh.
Old August 1st 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:24:29 -0400, Sam > wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 06:43:15 -0400, Sam > wrote:
>
>>Well turns out the system was actually low on R-114. The reading on
>>the cheap gauge was not accurate because of an issue with the low side
>>tap on the evaporator.
>>I found my hoses that goes to my gauges and hooked them up. Seems
>>that there is an issue with the needle valve on the evaporators tap.
>>Weird though as I cannot replace that valve.
>>Isnt that valve replaceable on 94 Evaporator???

>Apparently this is the receive/dryer and not the Evaporator. I had
>some conflicting information for parts identification.

According to the Ford Service Manual the part is a accumulator/drier
and sits next to the Evaporator at the firewall. This is the device
that has the defective needle valve which is the low side tap.

Old August 3rd 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 00:28:13 -0400, Sam > wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:24:29 -0400, Sam > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 06:43:15 -0400, Sam > wrote:
>>
>>>Well turns out the system was actually low on R-114. The reading on
>>>the cheap gauge was not accurate because of an issue with the low side
>>>tap on the evaporator.
>>>I found my hoses that goes to my gauges and hooked them up. Seems
>>>that there is an issue with the needle valve on the evaporators tap.
>>>Weird though as I cannot replace that valve.
>>>Isnt that valve replaceable on 94 Evaporator???

>>Apparently this is the receive/dryer and not the Evaporator. I had
>>some conflicting information for parts identification.

>According to the Ford Service Manual the part is a accumulator/drier
>and sits next to the Evaporator at the firewall. This is the device
>that has the defective needle valve which is the low side tap.

If you are talking about the shrader valve that's in the low side
fitting you can't take it out without all the freon leaking out in the
process. There is supposed to be a cap that screws on over it. Inside
the cap there should be a rubber o-ring. I don't know if they are
supposed to be a perfect seal or not but you should be able to tighten
it good and tight. If the o-ring is hard you might want to stop by a
refrigeration supply house and get a new o-ring or a new cap and
o-ring.