Gear Ratios

Old March 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Gear Ratios

Interesting mix,

Gear Ratios
LS1-2/M6 LS6-7/M6 LS2/M6 LS1-2/A4
LS2/A6
1st Gear 2.66:1 2.97:1 2.97:1
3.06:1 4.02:1
2nd Gear 1.78:1 2.07:1 2.07:1
1.63:1 2.36:1
3rd Gear 1.30:1 1.43:1 1.43:1
1.00:1 1.53:1
4th Gear 1.00:1 1.00:1 1.00:1
..70:1 1.15:1
5th Gear 0.74:1 0.84:1
- .85:1
6th Gear 0.50:1 0.56:1
- .67:1
Reverse 2.90:1 3.28:1 3.28:1
2.29:1 3.03:1

Std Z06 Z51
Auto Auto

Rear gear for the LS1-2 A4 is 2.73 optional 3.15

LS1 M6 is 3.42

LS6 M6 is 3.42

LS2 A6 is 2.56 no options yet

LS7 M6 is 3.42

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 24th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:51:24 -0700, Dad > wrote:

> Interesting mix,
>
> Gear Ratios
> LS1-2/M6 LS6-7/M6 LS2/M6 LS1-2/A4
> LS2/A6
> 1st Gear 2.66:1 2.97:1 2.97:1
> 3.06:1 4.02:1
> 2nd Gear 1.78:1 2.07:1 2.07:1
> 1.63:1 2.36:1
> 3rd Gear 1.30:1 1.43:1 1.43:1
> 1.00:1 1.53:1
> 4th Gear 1.00:1 1.00:1 1.00:1
> .70:1 1.15:1
> 5th Gear 0.74:1 0.84:1
> - .85:1
> 6th Gear 0.50:1 0.56:1
> - .67:1
> Reverse 2.90:1 3.28:1 3.28:1
> 2.29:1 3.03:1
>
> Std Z06 Z51
> Auto Auto
>
> Rear gear for the LS1-2 A4 is 2.73 optional 3.15
>
> LS1 M6 is 3.42
>
> LS6 M6 is 3.42
>
> LS2 A6 is 2.56 no options yet
>
> LS7 M6 is 3.42

Wow - that is interesting. I've wanted something different in my 99 Camaro
SS and my 99 C5. I always wanted 5th & 6th at around 0.85:1 & 0.65:1 -
closer to a Mustang gear ratio.

For real world freeway driving (60 miles of a 70 mile per day round trip
commute) -
5th gear - OK for cruising in a 55 limit, but could use more bite.
6th gear - barely cruise in 6th at maybe 1600rpm is somewhere like 70 - in
a 65 limit.
And, I bought the Corvette to drive, not to pose in - I want to be able to
accelerate in all 6 gears. (Went head-to-head with a Yamaha R1 one time -
I DO need to be able to accelerate in 6th).

So I look at those LS2 numbers and....now where did I put my check book ?

Old March 24th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

>And, I bought the Corvette to drive, not to pose in - I want to be able to
>accelerate in all 6 gears. (Went head-to-head with a Yamaha R1 one time -
>I DO need to be able to accelerate in 6th).
>
>So I look at those LS2 numbers and....now where did I put my check book ?

=======================================
Oh I can relate.....

BUT hell I'm cheap ! I am into 6th gear even at 40-50 mph...

IF I really want to accelerate (vbg)
I take my tight hand and slam the car down into 3rd

Took me a long time to get comfortable using 6th at anything under 65
mph..
..
Bob G.
Old March 24th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Bob G." > wrote in message

>>And, I bought the Corvette to drive, not to pose in - I want to be
>>able to
>>accelerate in all 6 gears. (Went head-to-head with a Yamaha R1 one
>>time -
>>I DO need to be able to accelerate in 6th).
>>
>>So I look at those LS2 numbers and....now where did I put my check
>>book ?

> =======================================
> Oh I can relate.....
>
> BUT hell I'm cheap ! I am into 6th gear even at 40-50 mph...
>
> IF I really want to accelerate (vbg)
> I take my tight hand and slam the car down into 3rd
>
> Took me a long time to get comfortable using 6th at anything under
> 65
> mph..
> .
> Bob G.

That third gear is the reason I'm looking for new tires. Want the
Dunlop Sport Maxx but they don't have the tire in 285-35-19. Can't get
the SC EMTs to hook up in 1st and 2nd and they still are leaving black
marks most of the way through 3rd, of course at that time you have
doubled the speed limit. Yesterday, still a bit cold here, the rear
end kicked out on me when I punched it when I was over 50. EMTs have
got to go, unless they're hot and dry they suck. I want to drive when
I want to, not when the "weather is right".

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 24th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

45 is about the lower limit for 6th for me.
And mine came equipped "sport" gearing.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old March 25th 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

RicSeyler wrote:
> 45 is about the lower limit for 6th for me.
> And mine came equipped "sport" gearing.
>
> Bob G. wrote:
>>> And, I bought the Corvette to drive, not to pose in - I want to be able to
>>> accelerate in all 6 gears. (Went head-to-head with a Yamaha R1 one time -
>>> I DO need to be able to accelerate in 6th).
>>>
>>> So I look at those LS2 numbers and....now where did I put my check book ?
>>>

>> =======================================
>> Oh I can relate.....
>>
>> BUT hell I'm cheap ! I am into 6th gear even at 40-50 mph...
>>
>> IF I really want to accelerate (vbg)
>> I take my tight hand and slam the car down into 3rd
>>
>> Took me a long time to get comfortable using 6th at anything under 65
>> mph..
>> .
>> Bob G.
>>

> --
> Ric Seyler

Go west young men, go west! ("55mph" and "65mph" not understood!)

Thanks for the reminder on numbers Dad -- I had incorrectly tucked: (5th
= 1:1) in my aging brain. Hearing must also be getting bad. Failed on
RTFB too.

For Chevy: I'd leave 'economy cruise' just the way it is--particular for
sales west of the Rockies. Last weekend with CU6/3.42rar we averaged
just over 31mpg on the I-15 leg from Vegas to the Summit Inn. Avg.
speed, just under 75mph. That included a dozen "good romps" down into
4th gear and some uphill passing in 3rd just north of Baker. Tail wind
<10 kt. First reason for buying the car was the kick in the ass, the
ride precision, the handling and the looks but, I would not have bought
it if C5s were gas guzzlers on the highway.

Our 'commute' around here is either <30mph or >70mph. I prefer to
commute with the automatic, but sans CAGS it's passible even with the
left knee I screwed up a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry folks about being 'boorish & retro' but there was some rationale
for that 'old fasioned' torque curve in the L-98. Life under 1500 rpm
(with or without a torque convertor) isn't a sin unless you live for rice!

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe