GTR and rFacror

Old November 3rd 05, 12:18 AM
Andrew Sword

Default GTR and rFacror

I haven't played rFactor yet and only just started on GTR. How do the games
compare?

GTR seem quite good so far. Easier to get up and running compared to GP
Legends. It seems you can spend many hours trying to master the game and
going extra levels of skill.

Old November 3rd 05, 01:00 AM
Dave Henrie

"Andrew Sword" > wrote in
u:

> I haven't played rFactor yet and only just started on GTR. How do the
> games compare?
>
> GTR seem quite good so far. Easier to get up and running compared to
> GP Legends. It seems you can spend many hours trying to master the
> game and going extra levels of skill.

There is more racing in GTR at this time. But rFactor may have longer
life. It's designed not as a complete sim product but a foundation for
free and possibly for-pay mods. The real strenth of rF has yet to be seen.
GTR, as a solo offline racer is unmatched. Online is not.

dh
Old November 3rd 05, 01:13 AM

My simplest of answers ever......

I haven't run GTR once, since getting rFactor.

Cheers
==--==

u...

Old November 3rd 05, 01:25 AM

Hi Dave

I've got to take a moment to say that I don't agree with this statement

>>It's designed not as a complete sim product but a foundation for

free and possibly for-pay mods. <<

Do you have rFactor?

In it's vanilla state, rFactor is a complete, career based, racing sim.
It contains many "tin-top" cars to drive - all with their own physics
It contains Open-wheel cars as "Trainers" and "FormulaIS"
It contains race weekends as well as Championships for any of the above

I just don't see how that could be called "not complete"

It is true that it is a base for many projects to come (I hope), as that
was the reason for making it completely "open source". So far released;
F3 Mod, V8 Aus Mod, Formula Nippon Mod, -of the top of my head -- I'm sure
there are more.

There have also been a half dozen tracks released already - some better than
others I must say to be fair. But the good ones are really good. These
additional mods and tracks are only the beginning I think..... but at
least they should be considered when deciding whether to buy rFactor or not.
( I say yes, lol - could you have guessed? )

Ok, that's all my dirt kicking for now - heh heh

(gee, it's strange to be disagreeing with one of your posts Dave.... that's
unusual for me)

Cheers
==--==

. 97.136...

Old November 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
Chad Rogers

Andrew,

I would suggest GT Legends over either of the above. Very broad single
player game and multi seems up to snuff as well. rFactor I think has a
future with modders, but I would agree with the above sentiment that out of
the box, it doesn't offer much content. GTR is still a great game, with
great cars and tracks, but a generation behind both rFacotr and my personal
choice GTL.

Chad

$tl2.70799@pd7tw3no...

Old November 3rd 05, 02:42 AM
Alan Bernardo

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Andrew Sword" > wrote in
> u:
>
>> I haven't played rFactor yet and only just started on GTR. How do the
>> games compare?
>>
>> GTR seem quite good so far. Easier to get up and running compared to
>> GP Legends. It seems you can spend many hours trying to master the
>> game and going extra levels of skill.
>>

> There is more racing in GTR at this time. But rFactor may have longer
> life. It's designed not as a complete sim product but a foundation for
> free and possibly for-pay mods. The real strenth of rF has yet to be
> seen.
> GTR, as a solo offline racer is unmatched. Online is not.
>

> dh

I prefer GTL. The physics seem better to me, I like the older cars, and
online and the offline cup are a plus. This "the potential of rFactor has
yet to be seen" statement is starting to gnaw on me. I've seen nothing very
substantial as far as mods go for rFactor, just a bunch of small things that
some are claiming are mods. Compared to GTL, I don't like the way the
rFactor cars feel. The Houston (or whatever that fictitious car's name is)
simply does not feel as good as, say, the Porsche or any of the other cars
in GTL.

To be honest, once I got GTL, rFactor has been taking up space on my hard
drive. I haven't played it in weeks.

Alanb

Old November 3rd 05, 05:47 AM
Jeff Reid

> I haven't played rFactor yet and only just started on GTR.
> How do the games compare?

There's a difference in the cars that are modeled and the
physics.

GTR version 1.0 (German version, I got mine a year ago),
had an issue where the cars almost always spin 180 degrees
if the car loses stability. It's been mellowed out in the
later versions (I later got USA version which is 1.3, and
patched to 1.4), but it's still there. The cars are OK as
long as you don't lose it, but if you don't catch a spin
quickly enough, it's hard to recover. It's difficult
to get lift throttle oversteer or induced understeer to
work with GTR.

In rFactor and GTLegends, lift throttle oversteer is reasonably
controllable. In GTLegends, induced understeer works well on
a lot of the cars for spin prevention / recovery (turn inwards
instead of countersteering). GTLegends has this weird quirk
that some cars are more unstable under braking with the assists
on instead of off.

Of the 3 games, GTLegends is the easiest to drive with all
assist off, and GTR is the most difficult. A professional driver
made the comment that GTR with some assists on was more
realistic (to him) than with all assists off, but this was a
comment about version 1.0.

The Formula in rFactor seems very close to the F1's in F1C99-02,
and is one of my favorite cars for offline. For online, passing
is difficult in the Formulas unless you can run on big tracks.
Then again, passing is difficult with real life F1 race cars.

Old November 3rd 05, 08:15 AM
Jeff Reid

One other thing about GTR is the curbing on some tracks.

At Spa, some of the curbs will help turn a car if you go
over them with the inside tires. I don't think this
is realistic.

Old November 3rd 05, 11:43 AM
Harry

"Chad Rogers" > wrote in
:

> ...but I would agree with the above
> sentiment that out of the box, it doesn't offer much content.

Except your choice of:

* Tin tops
with a selection of
- RWD
- FWD
- 4WD
in a variety of
- Low Power
- Medium performance
- High performance
specs

AND

* Open wheelers
in several varieties, including excellent tyre modelling both for
- grooved tyres
- slicks

AND

5 racetracks, four of which have at least 2 distinctly different layouts.

That "not much content" argument that so many insist on amazes me, to say
the least...

So, it's more of a showcase of the completeness of rFactor vehicle
simulation than a focussed effort on a single type of racing, but how on
God's green Earth can you claim that that equals a lack of content???
Something is severely wrong in the Land of Logic...
Old November 3rd 05, 12:16 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:25:31 GMT, <MM> wrote:

> It is true that it is a base for many projects to come (I hope), as that
> was the reason for making it completely "open source". So far released;

While rF is open-formatted, it most certainly isn't open source or I'd
by busy working on a Linux port right now.

Open Source means that you can get the program's source code and modify
it. I'd rather describe rF as being "open content".

cheers, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61