Replacing plugs, wires, serpentine belt and tensioner

Old May 31st 05, 04:38 AM
MPost

Default Replacing plugs, wires, serpentine belt and tensioner

I have a 1993 SC-2 that just passed 100K. I took it into my mechanic to get
some other work done, and he suggested that I replace my spark plugs and
spark plug wires (for $400) and the accessory drive belt and tensioner (for
$350). These prices seemed to be excessive, especially for the plugs and
wires. Can anyone help me out with how hard these jobs are and whether a
reasonably handy person could tackle them on his own?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 31st 05, 04:56 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"MPost" > typed until their fingers bled, and
came up with:

> I have a 1993 SC-2 that just passed 100K. I took it into my mechanic
> to get some other work done, and he suggested that I replace my spark
> plugs and spark plug wires (for $400)

$400??? Do yourself a favor and find a new mechanic!

plugs are easy - you just need a 6" extension to get to them.

and the accessory drive belt and
> tensioner (for $350).

drive belt - 14 or 15 mm wrench (depending on the year), and maybe 15
minutes (included in the time if you do the tensioner). Tensioner is a
bit harder, but not much. 2 10mm bolts after you've removed the belt,
but it is a tight space there by the frame rail - I tend to put a jack
under the oil pan, and remove the top engine mount so I can lower the
engine to get easier access. figure 30 minutes.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old May 31st 05, 05:10 AM
William Hughes

On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:38:10 -0400, in rec.autos.makers.saturn "MPost"
> wrote:

> I have a 1993 SC-2 that just passed 100K. I took it into my mechanic to get
> some other work done, and he suggested that I replace my spark plugs and
> spark plug wires (for $400) and the accessory drive belt and tensioner (for
> $350). These prices seemed to be excessive, especially for the plugs and
> wires. Can anyone help me out with how hard these jobs are and whether a
> reasonably handy person could tackle them on his own?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Foo.

Plugs - $5 and ten minutes. I use Champions.
Plug wires - $15-20, same ten minutes
Belt - @ $25, maybe five minutes
Tensioner - @ $75 and maybe a half hour to 45 minutes; the two bolts are rather
difficult to get to.

I've done all except the belt in the last six months on a '95 SW2. The parts are
instock items at AutoZone, PepBoys and O'Reilly's.

You'll need feeler gauges, a pair of needlenose pliers, a plug wrench with 6-8
inch extension, a 14mm open end wrench and a 10mm socket wrench. Don't forget
antisieze compound for the plugs and bolts.

And shoot the mechanic; he's ripping you off bigtime.

Old May 31st 05, 12:00 PM
marx404

$400. for a tune up? you seriously need a new mechanic, he is ripping you
off.
$350. is a bit around or over what a Saturn shop will charge for a belt and
tensioner (parts and labor). A serprntine belt is typically $200. to change
fyi.

marx404

Old June 4th 05, 12:19 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"marx404" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

A serprntine belt is typically
> $200. to change fyi.

Um, No. it seriously takes 15 minutes. I wouldn't pay a shop more than 30
minutes labor for it.
--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com