beware VW turbo repair scham

Old May 27th 05, 12:35 AM
Old Wolf

> Old Wolf wrote:
> > Ken wrote:
> > > I took it to the local dealership and the problem was diagnosed
> > > as a faulty turbo that would cost $1,500+ to replace. I was
> > > dumbstruck. There went all the fuel savings for the life of
> > > that car and more.

> > You bought a turbo car in order to save fuel ?

> Yes - when you're not on-boost, the car gets the same kind of
> mileage as cars of similar displacement. When you need power,
> the engine will have output like a car of larger displacement.
>
> The wonders of turbocharging.

I drove a TDI once and it was on boost anytime I had to
accelerate at more than about 1 km/h/sec. Is this atypical?

Even in petrol cars, you have to accelerate like a granny
to stay off boost, unless you have an electronic boost
controller you can switch on and off.

Old May 27th 05, 01:22 AM
John S.

"In VW's defense, at least they did not do what GM would have done and
make the DRLs the *high* beams."

Old May 27th 05, 01:25 AM

Old Wolf wrote:
> wrote:
> > Old Wolf wrote:
> > >
> > > You bought a turbo car in order to save fuel ?

> > Yes - when you're not on-boost, the car gets the same kind of
> > mileage as cars of similar displacement. When you need power,
> > the engine will have output like a car of larger displacement.
> >
> > The wonders of turbocharging.

> I drove a TDI once and it was on boost anytime I had to
> accelerate at more than about 1 km/h/sec. Is this atypical?

For the TDI, no. At freeway speeds, it's not on-boost. But it doesn't
really need it there.

> Even in petrol cars, you have to accelerate like a granny
> to stay off boost, unless you have an electronic boost
> controller you can switch on and off.

My S4, if I keep it under 2200, it's not on-boost. I can (if I am very
disciplined) get 27mpg out of that car in mixed driving. But turbos in
a gasoline car beg to be used. :\

A non-TDI 4 cyl. diesel can barely get out of it's own way. The TDI at
least makes an attempt, and gets decent fuel economy for it. Hell, if
VW made a decent-sized wagon with a TDI to match it's bulk (like a
Passat with a 2.5L TDI six), I'd get it in a second. 800 miles between
fuel-ups is nice.

E.P.

Old May 27th 05, 03:46 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 26 May 2005, John S. wrote:

>> "In VW's defense, at least they did not do what GM would have done and
>> make the DRLs the *high* beams."

> How would you make the DRL's into high beams...

Thank you, John, for reminding me that I need to killfile you for
rec.autos.driving, and not just rec.autos.tech.
Old May 27th 05, 04:20 PM
John S.

Dan Stern said: "Thank you, John, for reminding me that I need to
killfile you for
rec.autos.driving, and not just rec.autos.tech. "

Thank goodness for small favors. Please also consider killfiling your
own sometimes off-topic (to say the least) messages....

It's unfortunate you choose to go on a rampage with people from other
countries because of their limited english language skills. Did you
ever stop for once and consider how such tirades come across to others?
Clearly you have something to offer this and other auto forums but
that gets lost.

Old May 27th 05, 04:23 PM
N8N

John S. wrote:
> "In VW's defense, at least they did not do what GM would have done and
> make the DRLs the *high* beams."
> JS> How would you make the DRL's into high beams...

Look at any Saturn, for example...

nate

Old May 27th 05, 04:29 PM
John S.

Maybe I'm getting wound up in terminology.

Are you saying that Saturn uses high beams as DRL's? If so, then I
assume the voltage is dropped some too.

Old May 27th 05, 06:09 PM
Magnulus

The VW TDI's use the turbo even with light acceleration. The turbo does
increase fuel economy because it reclaims waste energy from the exhaust and
uses it to pressurize the air inside the cylinders. Most diesel engines for
cars or trucks, or even busses, have turbos.

Old May 27th 05, 06:21 PM
Magnulus

"John S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JS> Did you buy it new in 2002 or did you buy it used. A diesel
> powered car may car get better fuel milage but the cost to properly
> maintain a diesel can be more than on a comparable gas engine car.
> They usually take more oil, require more frequent oil changes, have
> more expensive filters. Glow plugs and injectors require maintenance.

This is simply not true. The VW TDI's are some of the cheapest cars to
own for total cost of ownership. Maintance for the cars is not that bad.
You only have to change the oil every 10,000 miles, it uses about 4 1/2
liters of oil, and the oil filter costs 7 dollars. The power steering fluid
will last about 100,000 miles, the auto/manual transmission fluid will last
50k-100k miles, and the coolant also is rated at 100k miles. The secret is
that the car uses only high quality fluids- synthetic, diesel-rated oil only
(CF or better), synthetic transmission fluid, and an exact specification for
the coolant and PS fluid. Using petroleum motor oil will lead to a cooked
turbo and sticking cylinder ring.

The only major $$$ a person might have to do is have the exhaust gas
recirculator valve cleaned every 100,00 miles or so, which can cost about
400-500 dollars at a dealership. Go to a non-dealer and it will cost much
less, and you can also do it yourself if you are mechanicly inclined.

Old May 27th 05, 06:36 PM
N8N

John S. wrote:
> Maybe I'm getting wound up in terminology.
>
> Are you saying that Saturn uses high beams as DRL's? If so, then I
> assume the voltage is dropped some too.

yes and I think they are run in series, but they still glare and they
still suck.

nate