Stupid Viper Alarm Starter Kill won't let me start car after battery replacement.. HELP!

Old March 26th 05, 06:26 PM

Default Stupid Viper Alarm Starter Kill won't let me start car after battery replacement.. HELP!

I apologize for the crosspost, but I wasn't getting any help on the
rec.autos.misc and I need help fast.

I have a '94 Mazda 626 I got from my (now ex) father-in-law. Right
before he gave it to me, I remember he was having some problems with
the Viper alarm system he'd had installed. It was causing battery
problems and so he told me he was just going to dismantle the whole
thing.

Okay, fine, whatever, I could've cared less about having an alarm.. I
was getting a free car! Right? So, fast forward almost 2 years. FIL is

now my ex-FIL. I have my first ever starting problem with the car, and

it turns out it's just an alternator belt. Not knowing diddly about
cars, I get a friend's relative in on helping me. He swaps out the
belt no problem, but the car won't start, won't jump, nada. Finally he

figures out it has something to do with the alarm. I call up my
ex-husband and ask him to ask his father if he remembers how to handle
this, but no, he doesn't, or just doesn't want to bother telling me.

The little red dash light was blinking (and it hadn't blinked the
whole time for me, since I acquired the car) and he eventually figured
out something about a button on the front driver's panel that he had to

push a certain way or for a certain length of time, to get it to start.

I'm going to assume this is some sort of ignition / starter kill, and
I'm also going to assume that my ex-FIL did NOT thoroughly dismantle
this alarm. I think he just made it quiet or something.

So, it's been a few months, and today I had a dead battery while at the

Post Office. Friend and myself get a ride home, and my friend gets a
ride back to the car to pull the battery and take it in, have it
tested, and buy another if that's the problem. Battery was deader than

a doornail, so she bought another and installed it, but here we are
with the damn alarm problem again.. and she doesn't know how to
dismantle it to start the car. She knows where the button is, and
tried everything she could think of, but no go. When you try to start
the car, or get in the car, or any of that, the hazard flash as if the
alarm is "going off" only there is no siren hooked up to "go off"
anymore. The red light blinks. When she pushes the button the hazards

stop flashing but the car still will not start. It was her relative who

did it for us before, but of course, he's not home and can't be
reached. We've left word for him to come help ASAP, but that could be
a while.. meanwhile we're stuck, and our car is stuck at the Post
Office.

So, as with all things, I turn to the internet. IS there some
particular method we need to use to dismantle the stupid alarm to get
the car to start?

If/when we are successful in starting the car, how do we get rid of
this alarm system once and for all? Or do we have to pay someone to
remove it?

Thanks in advance, if you can help, or have any ideas, please respond
here or in email (email's even better).. we're stuck at home and it
sucks.

Sheri
thelionsden at satx dot rr dot com

UPDATE since my original post on the other group: The friend came and
spent an hour trying to help... whatever he did last time isn't working
this time, and it was dark. He says he'll come back today to try and
just remove it entirely. He cut every wire he could but never could
get the thing completely dismantled. I'm not sure when he's coming
back (he has no phone) and I'd like to see if we can get a ride to the
car in the meantime and try ourselves, so please help if you can.

Old March 26th 05, 07:32 PM
rich

IMO you should never had "cut every wire". You may have just given
yourself a bigger headache.

I'd try to find the model # for the alarm and look that up or contact
the alarm co. and ask them for help.