Chevy Aveo and Toyota Echo Hatchback

Old February 23rd 04, 07:05 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Robert Abooey wrote:

>>I'd gladly pay $2000 more for a Vibe - but I guess that's your fault
>>for not shopping better. Enjoy your Daewoo while it lasts.

> Show me a Vibe with the same options for $2000 more and i'll let you
> give it to me in the ass....do you mean a wrecked and stripped 2003
> Vibe?

Edmunds.com has a base Vibe with nothing on it - pretty simmilar
to a loaded Aveo - for $14,459 average market price. If you get
the upper-trim Aveo, it's about $2K difference.

2004 Chevrolet Aveo
LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
MSRP Invoice
National Base Price $12,045 $11,262

The problem is if you want ANY options at all, the price jumps
$2000 compared to the stripper econo model. Surely you can't
be comparing the budget Aveo to a Vibe?

Total with Options $12,585 $11,802 $12,026
That includes a Aveo LS with no other options, plus delivery.

$12,026 typical market price versus $14459 typical market price
is fairly close to $2000. Even if I had to pay $3000 more, it
would be well worth it.

Old February 24th 04, 01:52 AM
Robert Abooey

Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message ink.net>...
> Robert Abooey wrote:
>
> > Oh I just priced a Vibe with the same options my Aveo has.....it came
> > to 19,925.00 before $2000 rebate. Needless to say it is as I said a
> > $20,000 car. the BASE with nothing starts at 17,000

> You're full of it. The Aveo, even fully loaded doesn't have ABS,
> or half of the amenities of the Vibe. At best, it's comparable
> to a Base vibe. Much less than $17,000.

Please check out the link below...it is to Pontiac's web site...see
Pontiac...yeah...ummm...they sell cars...edmunds...um....well....they
don't.
http://www.pontiac.com/vibe/index.jsp?source=hmlnav
It clearly says base model $17,165. I will again say. Edmunds does not
sell cars. If they said the car sold for $5 could you buy one from
them? No.
While antilock brakes are standard on the Scion xA, they are an option
on the base Vibe as well as an option on all but the XRS Matrix. We
are still comparing a $17k stripped down Pontiac with a lesser
warrentee (sp) to an $14,000 Aveo LS with an automatic, remote, power
windows, alloy wheels and rear spoiler? Ok I did not order it with the
spoiler or wheels...they were on there and it looked decent. But I am
digressing. I did say previously if I did not have the extra $2300
from my GM card I would have gotten a Scion...you were here for that,
right? It is just the fact I would have to be a total idiot not to use
an extra $2300...right or is it just me in here???? As far as buying a
used Mercedes or Volvo??LOL...you are dreaming....show me...with links
please..(Not to ebay though)..to Mercedes and Volvos for less than
$9,000 and I'll show you 1. a car with 200,000 miles on it and 2. one
that will cost a fortune to repair when something breaks because there
is no warantee. And I still only needed to get $2000 out of my pocket
for my car. So if you can get a used benz or volvo for $2000 then have
fun...make sure you get AAA...you'll need it. If you plan to spend the
same amount I did (@<--that is the about sign...$8800 at 4.99%) while
putting out of pocket what I did ($2000), then you would be financing.
Tell the bank you are buying a 10 year old benz with 200k on the clock
and watch them laugh at you. I had considered buying a few year old
car for cheap, but then I am only really buying what I wanted to get
away from...a used car with trouble. I do admit there is much more
status in driving an old Benz than a new go-kart, but I am not much
into gold plating. Oh, please excuse my butchering of the english
language, but the point should still come across.
Old February 24th 04, 10:27 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Robert Abooey wrote:

> Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message ink.net>...
>
>>Robert Abooey wrote:
>>

>>>Oh I just priced a Vibe with the same options my Aveo has.....it came
>>>to 19,925.00 before $2000 rebate. Needless to say it is as I said a
>>>$20,000 car. the BASE with nothing starts at 17,000

>>You're full of it. The Aveo, even fully loaded doesn't have ABS,
>>or half of the amenities of the Vibe. At best, it's comparable
>>to a Base vibe. Much less than $17,000.

> http://www.pontiac.com/vibe/index.jsp?source=hmlnav
> It clearly says base model $17,165. I will again say. Edmunds does not
> sell cars. If they said the car sold for $5 could you buy one from
> them? No.

You seem to overlook where I mention repeatedly the $2000 rebate
they are offering. Toyota now has $1500 on all 2003 models now as
well. The Matrix, which is the same vehicle minus some sheetmatal
and a few minor interior variances as the Vibe sells for even less
than $17K base price.

> are still comparing a $17k stripped down Pontiac with a lesser
> warrentee (sp) to an $14,000 Aveo LS with an automatic, remote, power
> windows, alloy wheels and rear spoiler?

No - a $15K basic Pontiac. $2K in rebate has to be factored in
as well.

> It is just the fact I would have to be a total idiot not to use
> an extra $2300...right or is it just me in here????

Just you, unfortunately.

> As far as buying a
> used Mercedes or Volvo??LOL...you are dreaming....show me...with links
> please..(Not to ebay though)..to Mercedes and Volvos for less than
> $9,000

Bull. Here's a perfect example:
Do a search in autotrader.com for a Volvo 960. I see a wagon with
60K miles on it and the asking price is $10000. Of course, this is
a couple of thousand over Bule Book, so figure a haggled price of
$9000 at worst.

There are other examples as well - all under 100K miles and in
mint condition. One owner as well. The average price is about
$7-$8K from a private party.

and I'll show you 1. a car with 200,000 miles on it and 2. one
> that will cost a fortune to repair when something breaks because there
> is no warantee.

My choice of a Volvo 960 is because it is indestructable. For
$8-$9K, you can get a mint condition one with low miles. You
also have a much slower depreciation, higher build quality, and
better handling and power than a Scion or Aveo or Vibe.

> And I still only needed to get $2000 out of my pocket
> for my car. So if you can get a used benz or volvo for $2000 then have
> fun...make sure you get AAA...you'll need it.

We'll see. When that warranty runs out on your Chevy, you're in
for more repairs than what a Volvo would cost you - I can guarantee
that. My 164E and 240 cost me an average of $200 a year and they were
about 10-15 years old when I bought them. Something that is 6-7 years
old? Hardly anything will go wrong with it.

Old February 27th 04, 03:19 AM
Robert Abooey

Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message link.net>...
> Robert Abooey wrote:
>
> > Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message ink.net>...

> >>You're full of it. The Aveo, even fully loaded doesn't have ABS,
> >>or half of the amenities of the Vibe. At best, it's comparable
> >>to a Base vibe. Much less than $17,000.

> > http://www.pontiac.com/vibe/index.jsp?source=hmlnav
> > It clearly says base model $17,165. I will again say. Edmunds does not
> > sell cars. If they said the car sold for $5 could you buy one from
> > them? No.

> You seem to overlook where I mention repeatedly the $2000 rebate
> they are offering. Toyota now has $1500 on all 2003 models now as
> well. The Matrix, which is the same vehicle minus some sheetmatal
> and a few minor interior variances as the Vibe sells for even less
> than $17K base price.

O.K. now it seems you are realizing that $17k is for the base...and
figure in the $2k to get $15. Then tak the Aveo at $14,500 (or so) and
figure $1860 rebate between dealer and GM.

> > are still comparing a $17k stripped down Pontiac with a lesser
> > warrentee (sp) to an $14,000 Aveo LS with an automatic, remote, power
> > windows, alloy wheels and rear spoiler?

> No - a $15K basic Pontiac. $2K in rebate has to be factored in
> as well.

o.k the $13,000 and don't forget now we are still comparing a STRIPPED
$15,000 car to a $13,000 car that has a few nice extras. Plus the vibe
is lacking about 42,000 on the powertrain warrantee from the Aveo.

> > It is just the fact I would have to be a total idiot not to use
> > an extra $2300...right or is it just me in here????

> Just you, unfortunately.

That makes no sense other than to prove you must have either been born
an idiot or have practiced very hard. (How's that for run-on batman?)

> > As far as buying a
> > used Mercedes or Volvo??LOL...you are dreaming....show me...with links
> > please..(Not to ebay though)..to Mercedes and Volvos for less than
> > $9,000

I looked....please give link I want to buy it...was it that 1984 Volvo
wagon with minor dings and rust for its age?

> Bull. Here's a perfect example:
> Do a search in autotrader.com for a Volvo 960. I see a wagon with
> 60K miles on it and the asking price is $10000. Of course, this is
> a couple of thousand over Bule Book, so figure a haggled price of
> $9000 at worst.

Think about that for a second........
o.k. second is up. After you do your haggle magic, what kind of
interest rate will that private seller give you? Right. Maybe get a
bank loan at 12% or you could just pay cash. Think about that
again.....o.k. If I had $9000 to plop down...would I even be looking
at an Aveo, Vibe ,Matrix...Go-Kart?? Right again.
I wonder if the Volvo will get 30+ mpg?

> There are other examples as well - all under 100K miles and in
> mint condition. One owner as well. The average price is about
> $7-$8K from a private party.

Is that before or after the rebate? And where is my warrantee?

> and I'll show you 1. a car with 200,000 miles on it and 2. one
> > that will cost a fortune to repair when something breaks because there
> > is no warantee.

> My choice of a Volvo 960 is because it is indestructable. For
> $8-$9K, you can get a mint condition one with low miles. You
> also have a much slower depreciation, higher build quality, and
> better handling and power than a Scion or Aveo or Vibe.

Right right....I'm supposed to lay down $9-10k on a car because it is
"indestructable" lol....I drive 114 miles a day 600+ miles a week...I
am not rolling the dice on a car that has gold plated rotors or a $400
floor mat because it is "indestructable". When it breaks...daddy has
to pay for it. Or do you have a friend of a cousin who used to deliver
parts for a Volvo dealer and can probably do a brake job on it and so
what if it is a run on sentence.

> > And I still only needed to get $2000 out of my pocket
> > for my car. So if you can get a used benz or volvo for $2000 then have
> > fun...make sure you get AAA...you'll need it.

> We'll see. When that warranty runs out on your Chevy, you're in
> for more repairs than what a Volvo would cost you - I can guarantee
> that. My 164E and 240 cost me an average of $200 a year and they were
> about 10-15 years old when I bought them. Something that is 6-7 years
> old? Hardly anything will go wrong with it.

Yawn...good luck sucker....like I said before...when the warrantee
runs out it will be gone and I'll be on to my next hoopty....passing
your ass while you are waiting for a tow truck...but hey at least you
can warm your seat while you wait.
Old February 27th 04, 06:03 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Robert Abooey wrote:

> o.k the $13,000 and don't forget now we are still comparing a STRIPPED
> $15,000 car to a $13,000 car that has a few nice extras. Plus the vibe
> is lacking about 42,000 on the powertrain warrantee from the Aveo.

IIRC, Chevy and Pontiac have the same warranty. Certainly the
Toyota version has a decent warranty.

And that Aveo - it's kind of like comparing a optioned out
Geo Metro versus a base Jetta or Honda Civic. - you don't NEED
all those expensive options as it comes standard with the
better car.

>>Just you, unfortunately.

> That makes no sense other than to prove you must have either been born
> an idiot or have practiced very hard. (How's that for run-on batman?)

You bought the cheapest damn car on the planet. Of course it's
a bad use of money.

> Think about that for a second........
> o.k. second is up. After you do your haggle magic, what kind of
> interest rate will that private seller give you? Right. Maybe get a
> bank loan at 12% or you could just pay cash. Think about that
> again.....o.k. If I had $9000 to plop down...would I even be looking
> at an Aveo, Vibe ,Matrix...Go-Kart?? Right again.
> I wonder if the Volvo will get 30+ mpg?

I can get decent finiancing via a credit union - about 6.5%.
The Volvo will get 27mpg highway - about 35 with a 940.

>>There are other examples as well - all under 100K miles and in
>>mint condition. One owner as well. The average price is about
>>$7-$8K from a private party.

> Is that before or after the rebate? And where is my warrantee?

A chevy warranty as you should know by now is worthless.
I mean you bought a more modern version of a Geo Metro.

Compared to a Volvo? Your tin can is going to fall apart in
4-5 years more than the Volvo will - even with the age difference.

Oh - and let's not forget safety.

> Right right....I'm supposed to lay down $9-10k on a car because it is
> "indestructable" lol....I drive 114 miles a day 600+ miles a week...I
> am not rolling the dice on a car that has gold plated rotors or a $400
> floor mat because it is "indestructable".

$400 floor mats? Lol. If you are looking at a mile-eater, a
Daewoo is the WRONG car for you. In fact, you should have gotten
a 3-4 year old Crown Vic. 114 miles a day is going to wear the
little thing out in no time at all.

My Volvo - I sold it when it had 270K on it. It still ran exactly
like new. Looked like it as well. Of course, it was a Volvo 240.
Perfect paint. Perfect interior. One power door lock relay broke
in the year I owned it. This was on a 13 year old car, no less.
(bought at 12 years old - kept until 13). I should have kept it
but I thought my Buick be more reliable with a new transmission.

Lol. $1100 later I learned my lesson.

>>>And I still only needed to get $2000 out of my pocket
>>>for my car. So if you can get a used benz or volvo for $2000 then have
>>>fun...make sure you get AAA...you'll need it.

My 1990 Volvo 240 in mint condition cost me exactly $1900 after
replacing the cat and o2 sensor. Even used, it tore the doors off
of any econobox out there. The manual transmission helped, of
course

Old February 28th 04, 08:34 PM
Robert Abooey

Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> Robert Abooey wrote:
>

> > o.k the $13,000 and don't forget now we are still comparing a STRIPPED
> > $15,000 car to a $13,000 car that has a few nice extras. Plus the vibe
> > is lacking about 42,000 on the powertrain warrantee from the Aveo.

> IIRC, Chevy and Pontiac have the same warranty. Certainly the
> Toyota version has a decent warranty.

Chevy has 6 yr 60,000 powertrain and the Vibe has 3 yr 36,000
powertrain. Where do you dream up your figures...I mean you oviously
have a computer..check out pontiac.com and chevy.com and scion.com.

> And that Aveo - it's kind of like comparing a optioned out
> Geo Metro versus a base Jetta or Honda Civic. - you don't NEED
> all those expensive options as it comes standard with the
> better car.

No...the Aveo is definately not a Metro. Go-karty...yeah, but
Metro...No..give me a break here. And I agree all the options come
standard on the better car...The Aveo LS!!

> >>Just you, unfortunately.

> > That makes no sense other than to prove you must have either been born
> > an idiot or have practiced very hard. (How's that for run-on batman?)

> You bought the cheapest damn car on the planet. Of course it's
> a bad use of money.

O.k. this is boring...I'm talking about you never having your facts
together. First let's just keep it to "the cheapest car in the US" and
even at that you would be wrong. The fugly a$$ Echo is cheaper. And it
looks it.

> > Think about that for a second........
> > o.k. second is up. After you do your haggle magic, what kind of
> > interest rate will that private seller give you? Right. Maybe get a
> > bank loan at 12% or you could just pay cash. Think about that
> > again.....o.k. If I had $9000 to plop down...would I even be looking
> > at an Aveo, Vibe ,Matrix...Go-Kart?? Right again.
> > I wonder if the Volvo will get 30+ mpg?

> I can get decent finiancing via a credit union - about 6.5%.
> The Volvo will get 27mpg highway - about 35 with a 940.

I also wonder if that last statement is as acurate as all of your
others.

> >>There are other examples as well - all under 100K miles and in
> >>mint condition. One owner as well. The average price is about
> >>$7-$8K from a private party.

> > Is that before or after the rebate? And where is my warrantee?

> A chevy warranty as you should know by now is worthless.
> I mean you bought a more modern version of a Geo Metro.

You are still on that Metro kick?? O.k. call it what ever.
yawn.z-z-z-z

> Compared to a Volvo? Your tin can is going to fall apart in
> 4-5 years more than the Volvo will - even with the age difference.

Hello..earth calling...is anyone home?? I must have mentioned a few
times, I won't have the car that long. And if I do I put a friggin
wing and a fart pipe on it and roll over your Volvo's 15 year old
rusted ass.

> Oh - and let's not forget safety.

Yeah..I didn't think about that. Does that mean you'll make your
passengers wear a helmet when riding in your rust bucket? I'm sure
they will appreciate knowing the car is
indestructible...lolloloollolololo

> > Right right....I'm supposed to lay down $9-10k on a car because it is
> > "indestructable" lol....I drive 114 miles a day 600+ miles a week...I
> > am not rolling the dice on a car that has gold plated rotors or a $400
> > floor mat because it is "indestructable".

> $400 floor mats? Lol. If you are looking at a mile-eater, a
> Daewoo is the WRONG car for you. In fact, you should have gotten
> a 3-4 year old Crown Vic. 114 miles a day is going to wear the
> little thing out in no time at all.

What?? You truly are a lunatic.

> My Volvo - I sold it when it had 270K on it. It still ran exactly
> like new. Looked like it as well. Of course, it was a Volvo 240.
> Perfect paint. Perfect interior. One power door lock relay broke
> in the year I owned it. This was on a 13 year old car, no less.
> (bought at 12 years old - kept until 13). I should have kept it
> but I thought my Buick be more reliable with a new transmission.
>
> Lol. $1100 later I learned my lesson.

You made a good move getting rid of that old tugboat. Have you priced
out the replacement cost for the timing set on that clunker? Or do you
take your Volvo to Wal-Mart for repairs?

> My 1990 Volvo 240 in mint condition cost me exactly $1900 after
> replacing the cat and o2 sensor. Even used, it tore the doors off
> of any econobox out there. The manual transmission helped, of
> course

O.k so it was so perfect you got rid of it so you could
contemplate...without checking facts...the difference between what are
basically street legal go-karts? Here's a point you really seem to
miss....I bought a go-kart...I know it...it is exactly what I
wanted...really...i did not want a go-kart that cost $3-4k more than
what I paid. I didn't want to get a car with 36,000 mile warrantee
when i could get the 60k. I did not want to toss away $2300 FREE yes
free GM dollars. So since I was looking GM, I had the sunfire...it is
only 2dr so that is out. then i have the saturn ion....hmmm...not too
bad, but what is up with the gauges in the middle of the dash??? And
it cost more. So now im down to the cavalier, vibe, and aveo. I could
have gotten the cavalier for about the same price, but it would have
been a stripped base model, no hatch, and it is a 20 year old design
and looks it. Then there is the vibe...same warrantee as the cavalier
and starts at 17k for a stripped 5 speed base model. Needless to say I
am and will remain happy with what I have for when i have it. If you
feel the need to pay more for what is just another go-kart, go for it.
but please get your facts together and try to compare apples to
apples.
Old February 29th 04, 04:24 AM
Refinish King

I have an idea:

Why don't you two woman shut the **** up and eat cock. Like good females?

You argue like two old women!

PLONK You prima Donna faggot cocksuckers!111111

om...

Old February 29th 04, 06:27 AM
Joseph Oberlander

>>And that Aveo - it's kind of like comparing a optioned out
>>Geo Metro versus a base Jetta or Honda Civic. - you don't NEED
>>all those expensive options as it comes standard with the
>>better car.

> No...the Aveo is definately not a Metro. Go-karty...yeah, but
> Metro...No..give me a break here. And I agree all the options come
> standard on the better car...The Aveo LS!!

It's a stinking *DAEWOO* - of course it's a Geo Metro type car.
There's a reason people aren't buying those KIA Rios either.
They are small, cheap, and built with every dime squeezed out
of it that they can along the way.

>>You bought the cheapest damn car on the planet. Of course it's
>>a bad use of money.

> O.k. this is boring...I'm talking about you never having your facts
> together. First let's just keep it to "the cheapest car in the US"

It's the least expensive car sold in the U.S. in base form.
That your crap car is inflated by Chevy for resale with those
options is your problem. Go see what the car sells for in Korea
and then you'll understand why it IS just about the cheapest car
on the planet.

From the South Korea website

Kalos M/T(base model)
7,720,000.00 KRW South Korea Won = 6,572.980 USD

That's MSRP in Korea. Chevy sells this $6600 car for $9995.
That means the basic version of your car is really made with
about $5000 in actual materials in Korea, then it's sold to
Chevy, who marks it up by 75%+

Wow. Talk about steep markup. It would almost pay to import
one directly from Korea instead.

Kalos - Top trim model with A/T(same as an Aveo LS)
10,570,000.00 KRW South Korea Won = 8,999.5340 USD

There you go. Chevy is selling a $9000 MSRP car over here
for $12000. It *is* the cheapest major manufacturer's
vehicle on the planet.

That's why I'll buy an Echo over it anyday - I know I'm paying
$10K for an Echo but it sells for the same in Japan. No $3000
markup over normal MSRP just to import it and slap a new logo on it.

>>I can get decent finiancing via a credit union - about 6.5%.
>>The Volvo will get 27mpg highway - about 35 with a 940.

> I also wonder if that last statement is as acurate as all of your
> others.

Actually, it is accurate. Volvos get great mileage.

>>A chevy warranty as you should know by now is worthless.
>>I mean you bought a more modern version of a Geo Metro.

> You are still on that Metro kick?? O.k. call it what ever.
> yawn.z-z-z-z

It's a stinking $9000 car in Korea. MSRP. All the options
and maximum trim line. Of course it's a Metro clone. The $6600
base model is - hell - that's exactly like a Metro or Ford Aspire.

Cheap to the point of almost being ubsurd.

>>Compared to a Volvo? Your tin can is going to fall apart in
>>4-5 years more than the Volvo will - even with the age difference.

> Hello..earth calling...is anyone home?? I must have mentioned a few
> times, I won't have the car that long. And if I do I put a friggin
> wing and a fart pipe on it and roll over your Volvo's 15 year old
> rusted ass.

Messing with the exhaust on a car with electronic fuel injection
and airflow sensors and the like only results in more noise.
Unless you swap out the computers and several engine components, you
gain zero speed. Of course, I welcome you to try to blow the doors off
of even a basic Volvo 240T with your inspiring 110HP.

>>Oh - and let's not forget safety.

> Yeah..I didn't think about that. Does that mean you'll make your
> passengers wear a helmet when riding in your rust bucket?

I'd take a Volvo over a Daewoo anyday. You really ARE grasping at
straws when you claim that a Volvo is less safe than a $6600 piece
of Korean tin. God help you if you actually get hit by something.

> You made a good move getting rid of that old tugboat. Have you priced
> out the replacement cost for the timing set on that clunker? Or do you
> take your Volvo to Wal-Mart for repairs?

$400 at the local mechanic. Needs to be done every 60-70K.
Oh - the car had a sunroof, leather, cd player, heated seats, ABS,
plus a slew of other luxury features. I could also tow with it.

>>My 1990 Volvo 240 in mint condition cost me exactly $1900 after
>>replacing the cat and o2 sensor. Even used, it tore the doors off
>>of any econobox out there. The manual transmission helped, of
>>course

> O.k so it was so perfect you got rid of it so you could
> contemplate

I made a mistake thinking my second car would last longer
just because it had a new transmission. Next time I'm buying
a 1997 Volvo 960 or 1998 V90 (same exact car) and sticking with it.

Finding a low mileage first owner car(6 year old) should be a snap.

Old February 29th 04, 06:31 AM
Joseph Oberlander

My bad - The Daewoo Matiz II is the cheapest car made.

5,840,000.00 KRW South Korea Won = 4,972.306 USD

$5000 new. I think that's a record. But be happy with
your $6600 car marked up to nearly twice that. With your
GM dollars and rebates you managed to pay MSRP in Korea,
or pretty close to it.

Old February 29th 04, 01:06 PM
Robert Abooey

Joseph Oberlander > wrote in message thlink.net>...
> My bad - The Daewoo Matiz II is the cheapest car made.
>
> 5,840,000.00 KRW South Korea Won = 4,972.306 USD
>
> $5000 new. I think that's a record. But be happy with
> your $6600 car marked up to nearly twice that. With your
> GM dollars and rebates you managed to pay MSRP in Korea,
> or pretty close to it.

You are still missing the point here. If you have the time, re-read a
few of the posts....um...nevermind. You may never REALLY get it.