Please Help.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:51 PM
KingWalter

Default Please Help.

Hi all
Some of you might recognize this problem from awhile back, but recently
I have had schoolwork and haven't had much time to work on my car.
The starter solenoid was bad. I replaced the starter from one I got
out of a donor car (which actually started). The problem is, when I
connect the battery, the starter runs without the key in the ignition.
I've looked over the wiring and checked it according to the repair
manual. All the wiring looks correct. The only spare wires go to the
AC and the alternator. The AC the previous owner sold and the
alternator is not installed (needs brackets). Before I changed the
starter, all the cars electrical worked and at the neutral safety
switch. I received 12 volts when cranked.
Please Help.

Old March 2nd 05, 11:37 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

Please include year/make/model/engine size for a much better response

Basic gm starter cable connections are as follows:

1). Larger (6 gauge) cable goes to large post on solenoid = other end to
Positive Side of Battery

2). (S) terminal on solenoid goes to ignition switch (Switch off = no battery
power) or perhaps A/T switch

3). (I) terminal (if there is one) goes to Positive side of distributor.

--
BBA
°?°
oups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 12:36 AM
Nate Nagel

Ford style remote solenoids have the same connections. Not sure about
the "S" and "I" terminals but they have the same functionality. The
wire from the ignition switch "start" terminal goes to the small post
closest to the battery cable post, and the ballast resistor bypass wire
goes to the other one - the one closer to the starter power cable
terminal. These were used on some other cars as well, most (all?)
Studebakers from '56-64 used them, not sure about MoPars or AMCs. I
think my old slant sixes used a starter with an integral solenoid, but
it's been a while.

The big wire from the alternator should connect directly to the battery
cable post on the solenoid, unless your car is weird. Not sure what a
wire for the A/C would be doing in that area, but some mfgrs. do strange
things.

Personally I would hook up *only* the battery cable, then try it - then
start hooking the other wires up until you have a problem, then you'll
know where to start looking. If the starter engages with *only* the
battery hooked up, then the solenoid is bad. If it engages with only
the battery cable and the ignition switch hooked up, then the ignition
switch is bad or you have a short in the wire from the key switch to the
starter.

good luck,

nate

(spend too much time rebuilding old wiring harnesses... doing another
right now as a matter of fact...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 3rd 05, 03:45 AM
pater

If the thing worked OK in the other car, it's probably not the starter.
If the old starter didn't do this, you probably don't have a wiring
problem either. If you have a starter mounted solenoid, double check
the battery wire to make sure it's indexed properly ( turned
incorrectly enough to be hitting the start post on the solenoid) Good
luck, let us know the fix.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:56 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> cable post on the solenoid, unless your car is weird. Not sure what a
> wire for the A/C would be doing in that area, but some mfgrs. do strange

A/C << never said anything about the A/C << where did that come from??

BBA

Old March 3rd 05, 06:02 PM
KingWalter

The battery wire connected to the battery to the battery terminal is
fine. Later on today, I plan to do the tests that Nat Nagel suggested.
If it helps any, the car is a 91 caviler RS 2.2 liter with the starter
mounted on the front of the engine.
Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

Old March 4th 05, 07:23 PM
KingWalter

Never mind. Today I found a big problem. The damage is too severe and
not worth the money or the effort. I thank you all for your help, and
only wish I could have used it.