Help: Emissions in NYC

Old December 8th 04, 06:40 AM

Default Help: Emissions in NYC

Hi Stangers:

I've got a 91 LX 5.0 AOD with a couple minor bolt ons (pullies, K&N
filter, Flowmaster 2 Ch, 3:73's and a performance valve body).

Does anyone know if I put LONG TUBE headers on with a high-flow (2) cat
h-pipe, will the car pass emissions? I want to get rid of the 2000 RPM
stock header drone and maybe pick up a few horses.

My car won't have to pass the coming NYVIP/OBDII test (it's older than
1996) but has anyone done this exhaust swap and passed the current
sniffer test?

TIA!

Sam

Old December 9th 04, 03:10 AM
Jimmy

Sam,

I put CAT back on mine a few years ago and had no problems for years(1990 GT
changed exhaust in 1999). The K&N and flowmasters shouldn't matter at all.
Be sure the car is throwing no codes from the EEC-IV and try to get them to
strap it to the dyno HOT. Try to get to your service station firs. The key
is to keep the car at operating temperature. Not cooled down.

The emissions test limits are HC 0.80, CO 15.0 and NOx 2.0. My car blew well
under all of those thresholds on the dyno test.

Good luck.

oups.com...

Old December 9th 04, 03:31 AM
Sam Lowry

Hey Jimmy-

Thanks alot for your response. I just want to make sure I understand -
you DID put long tubes with a high flow catted H and it passed? I
don't want to pay for the parts, do the work and fail the sniffer.
(Sorry if I"m being dense but) Can you please confirm.

On a side note, I've read that wrapping the long tubes with header tape
helps keep the O2 sensors hot for better emissions. My car runs like a
champ otherwise - she passed last test fine with the stock 4-cat pipe.
Best Regards,

Sam

Old December 9th 04, 03:14 PM
barbara johnson

sam one of the things we did to pass emissions was to have one of the sct
custom chips burned for our 95 stang. this is a 4 bank 4 program custom chip
with one of the programs specifically for emissions only. we both have the
odb1 computer. worked great and we have our cats gutted

barb
oups.com...

Old December 9th 04, 06:05 PM

No I did not put on long tubes. Stock catalytic converters. Added a 2
1/2" cat back system. Pipes and mufflers from the converter flanges
back.

Do the pipes for sale have the discalimer "not for use on pollution
controlled vehicles" or whatever? I mean if you're in NYC you've seen
some of the bombs riding around that manage to pass emissions/safety.
People do manage to get these cars to pass.

Not sure how good of a wrencher you are, but if you're that concerend,
keep the stock stuff and reinstall annually for the test.

Personally I think catted long tube headers will pass fine. But that's
not what mattersn and I understand your concern. What matters is what
the DMV sniffs out of your tauilpipe under the dyno test.

Got a summer house upstate? Register it there. North of Westchester and
Rockland, there's only a $10 safety inspection! (For 1995 and older
cars...newer cars are getting the new DMV test statewide)

-

Old December 10th 04, 05:35 AM
Sam Lowry

Jimmy and Barb-

Thanks for the help. Long tube headers are NOT legal for pollution
controlled vehicles. I believe this is because by default you must
remove the stock h-pipe (since long tubes won't fit with it) and they
don't want you doing that because then there is no assurance you will
meet emissions. Most people install off-road h-pipes and emissions go
out the window.

However, there are dual cat (as opposed to quad cat) high flow h-pipes
that ARE legal on pollution controlled vehicles. And they make them
for long tube headers! Go figure.

So I figure if I can get a high-flow catted H-pipe for long tubes that
will enable me to meet emissions, I will do it regardless of the ban on
the headers themselves. The environment is OK while meeting my needs -
again, getting rid of the short tube drone and maybe picking up some
hp/torque. The only catch is, will she really pass with only 2 cats
and the extra scavenging of the long tubes? My sense is YES since I
keep her well-tuned.

I don't want to have to swap back and forth (headers and h-pipe) every
year for inspection for 2 reasons. It's alot of work made problematic
by the fact that headers often warp -and- I'd rather not drive around
most of the year exceeding emission limits (just my opinion). The chip
is an interesting idea, if it'd work year-round. I had an 86 GT
5-speed with a Superchip and stock gears (2:73 I think) that got 27 MPG
highway.

If any of you have anything to add please do. I will let you all know
what I decide and how it works out if I go with the long tubes/catted
h-pipe.

Best Regards,

Sam

Old December 10th 04, 04:10 PM
Larry Hepinstall

Long tube headers are illegal because they move the cat further away and
cool the exhaust too much for the catalytic converters to reach proper
operating temperature.

LJH
95GT

oups.com...

Old December 10th 04, 04:13 PM
Larry Hepinstall

FYI the DRONE is not caused by the headers, its caused by the size of the
exhaust pipes and by the mufflers. Changing the headers will not reduce
your drone one bit.. in fact anything you do to increase the power (long
tubes) will INCREASE the drone.

LJH
95GT (331 stroker, Bassani exhaust)

oups.com...

Old December 13th 04, 11:34 PM
Sam Lowry

Larry Hepinstall wrote:
> FYI the DRONE is not caused by the headers, its caused by the size of

the
> exhaust pipes and by the mufflers. Changing the headers will not

reduce
> your drone one bit.. in fact anything you do to increase the power

(long
> tubes) will INCREASE the drone.
>
> LJH
> 95GT (331 stroker, Bassani exhaust)

Thanks for the info, Larry. You are right - I got down and listened as
my fiancee held the RPM's at 2000 (it was hard to crawl that fast but
somehow I managed :^)

The drone is coming from the Flowmasters, which I know is a major
complaint people have against them. When we drive we hear the sound
from the front of the car, not the back (I assume because there is less
sound deadening up front). I also read that people switched to Long
Tubes and the drone went away. These 2 factors are why I had been
considering LT's.

It now appears that Long Tubes are NOT the answer, but maybe a
different muffler. I like the sound of the Flow's - to me they sound
like "American muscle car". I've heard others - Borla I think - on
later year Mustangs and they sound more "European" to me. I want to
keep the deep sound but lose the drone!

So now I'm at a loss. Do I replace the mufflers and if so with what?
Do I get long tubes or not? I will put in a high-flow catted H-pipe
regardless. If I don't get long tubes I will probably put in some 1
5/8 unequal length shorties (man, those stock headers are awfully
crimped looking). It's the question every asks - what to do with my
Mustang exhaust - I guess it's my turn to ask it...

Sam

CO2 emissions test Old Wolf Technology 3 December 15th 04 06:38 PM
Drive Clean, old A2s, and NOx emissions Garry Tarr VW water cooled 1 November 9th 04 01:18 PM
Tracker emissions - Help! Mark 4x4 4 May 1st 04 12:14 PM