L300 6 cylinder wagon

Old July 12th 04, 08:51 PM
Oppie

Default L300 6 cylinder wagon

Art Wrote:
Parents just bought one. I'm surprised by how much pressure the accelerator
pedal takes to get the car moving from a stop compared to other cars I've
driven. Wondering if this is typical or should the dealer check it.
============
Don't know about yours but my '01 LW300 is drive by wire. That is, there is
no mechanical connection between the pedal and throttle body. The
accelerator pedal is merely a sensor that talks to the computer which in
turn controls a servomotor to open the butterfly valve in the throttle body.
Does take a bit of getting used to especially with the cruise control. With
older vacuum controlled units, as the servo engages you could feel the pedal
drop away from your foot. Not so with the L300. An electric servo is always
in control so you can just punch cruise control and remove your foot from
the pedal immediately without any hiccups. With a mechanical accelerator
there is also a modicum of force feedback from the butterfly valve which is
missing on a drive by wire.

Where the DBW (drive by wire) really excels is in the traction control. If
you get a wheel slip, first the traction control system tries to apply a
little braking action on the slipping wheel. If this is unsuccessful, it
automatically cuts back the throttle. No need to let up on the pedal.
Earlier traction control systems just retarded the spark having no control
on the throttle.

PS it WILL do 130mph. I've had mine up to 100 before I lost my nerve.
Acceleration was constant with no fall off. Darned impressive.

Oppie

'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 01:26 AM
L300 6 cylinder wagon Art Saturn 6 July 18th 04 08:23 PM
allroad or A6 avant versus Mercedes c320 or E320 wagon Rich Williamson Audi 9 May 26th 04 05:48 PM
1949 Cadillac: #1 Cylinder? Andreas Tovornik Antique cars 0 July 25th 03 02:47 PM