cavalier: fuel filter removal?

Old August 9th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_1_]

Default cavalier: fuel filter removal?

'99 Cavalier. I'm actually trying to replace the gas tank. The
pressure line has a plastic "quick disconnect" on the inlet side of the
filter. After many hours of cleaning and screwing around, I broke the
outside tabs off. Oh ****.

Is there any way to extract the locking mechanism after the tabs are
destroyed? If not, is there a plan B?

Thanks,
George
Old August 9th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

George > wrote in article
> '99 Cavalier. I'm actually trying to replace the gas tank. The
> pressure line has a plastic "quick disconnect" on the inlet side of the
> filter. After many hours of cleaning and screwing around, I broke the
> outside tabs off. Oh ****.
>
> Is there any way to extract the locking mechanism after the tabs are
> destroyed? If not, is there a plan B?
>
> Thanks,
> George

If you have broken the tabs to the point where the special removal tool
will not grab them, then you'll be needing to cut things out
one-little-chunk at a time....

Why do some people believe special tools are only for "Other" people to buy
and use?

Old August 9th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_1_]

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:33:09 -0500, "*" > wrote:

>George > wrote in article
>> '99 Cavalier. I'm actually trying to replace the gas tank. The
>> pressure line has a plastic "quick disconnect" on the inlet side of the
>> filter. After many hours of cleaning and screwing around, I broke the
>> outside tabs off. Oh ****.
>>
>> Is there any way to extract the locking mechanism after the tabs are
>> destroyed? If not, is there a plan B?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> George
>>

>If you have broken the tabs to the point where the special removal tool
>will not grab them, then you'll be needing to cut things out
>one-little-chunk at a time....
>
>Why do some people believe special tools are only for "Other" people to buy
>and use?

I think you're mistake about this one: this is a plastic lock. The
Chevy book says you just squeeze it with your hand, which I'm sure would
work on the factory floor. These had gotten a little brittle. Anyway,
even the Chevy book doesn't call for a special tool - just your hand.
And, BTW, for the 'metal' disconnects, I did get the tool.

So, thanks for not very much.

George

Old August 10th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
shiden_kai[_1_]

* wrote:

> If you have broken the tabs to the point where the special removal
> tool will not grab them, then you'll be needing to cut things out
> one-little-chunk at a time....
>
> Why do some people believe special tools are only for "Other" people
> to buy and use?

Why would anyone need to "buy" fingers? That's the only
"special" tool you need for this setup. Unfortunately, the
op has run into a common situation where the area where
the quick disconnect is has probably become crammed with
dirt....maybe some corrosion. In these cases, I usually liberally
spray some type of lubricant in there while pulling back and
forth on the line and turning the line. Eventually, you can release
the plastic tabs.

But since you don't have the tabs anymore.....it could be a little
bit more involved.

Ian

Old August 10th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:15:27 GMT, "shiden_kai" >
wrote:

>* wrote:
>
>> If you have broken the tabs to the point where the special removal
>> tool will not grab them, then you'll be needing to cut things out
>> one-little-chunk at a time....
>>
>> Why do some people believe special tools are only for "Other" people
>> to buy and use?

>Why would anyone need to "buy" fingers? That's the only
>"special" tool you need for this setup. Unfortunately, the
>op has run into a common situation where the area where
>the quick disconnect is has probably become crammed with
>dirt....maybe some corrosion. In these cases, I usually liberally
>spray some type of lubricant in there while pulling back and
>forth on the line and turning the line. Eventually, you can release
>the plastic tabs.
>
>But since you don't have the tabs anymore.....it could be a little
>bit more involved.

Well, I did get it off, finally. Brute force, using a couple of end
wrenches to pry against the filter case. No apparent damage, except to
the retainer clip.

And, I did clean it out (before breaking the first tab), to a point
where the plastic was moving quite freely. But, I still wasn't able to
get it to release the lock. There may be a skill deficit.

George

Recommendations for Jeep Mechanic near Edison, NJ [email protected] Jeep 1 July 30th 06 07:10 PM
explorer 96, fuel filter removal gsm1morris Ford Explorer 6 February 27th 06 06:36 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Changing Fuel Filter Lawrence Glickman Technology 0 February 14th 05 03:47 AM