Should I trade an e46 330ci sport for an e36 M3?

Old March 16th 05, 09:18 PM
Ranger

Default Should I trade an e46 330ci sport for an e36 M3?

I have a 2002 e46 330ci Sport with c40,000 miles on it. I'm considering
selling it and with part of the cash getting a 1998 or thereabouts M3
(I'm in the UK) with perhaps 70,000 miles on it.

I've never driven an M3 and although my 330 is pretty fast and handles
really well, I'm temted by the M3.

Does anyone have any experience of these two cars who could comment/advise?

Regards,

Ranger

Old March 16th 05, 11:05 PM
Jeff Mayner

Ranger wrote:
> I have a 2002 e46 330ci Sport with c40,000 miles on it. I'm
> considering selling it and with part of the cash getting a 1998 or
> thereabouts M3 (I'm in the UK) with perhaps 70,000 miles on it.
>
> I've never driven an M3 and although my 330 is pretty fast and handles
> really well, I'm temted by the M3.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of these two cars who could
> comment/advise?

IMO, I think it would be a mistake. JMO/YMMV.

Jeff

Old March 17th 05, 12:15 AM
Randy

Ranger wrote:
> I have a 2002 e46 330ci Sport with c40,000 miles on it. I'm considering
> selling it and with part of the cash getting a 1998 or thereabouts M3
> (I'm in the UK) with perhaps 70,000 miles on it.
>
> I've never driven an M3 and although my 330 is pretty fast and handles
> really well, I'm temted by the M3.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of these two cars who could comment/advise?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranger

Drive the M3, then decide. It's pointless to ask others which car you would
like, since we don't know what you like.

'Ranger'? You should buy a Ford pickup truck.

Randy
Old March 17th 05, 02:21 PM

Ranger wrote:
> I have a 2002 e46 330ci Sport with c40,000 miles on it. I'm

considering
> selling it and with part of the cash getting a 1998 or thereabouts M3

> (I'm in the UK) with perhaps 70,000 miles on it.
>
> I've never driven an M3 and although my 330 is pretty fast and

handles
> really well, I'm temted by the M3.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of these two cars who could

comment/advise?

> Regards,
>
> Ranger

I have an E46 M3 and am thinking the same thing, or a 328 sport & some
modifications. It comes down to you.

Old March 17th 05, 09:44 PM
Ranger

Drove home from work this evening and the 330 was fantastic, so still in
a quandry. I think I'll try to find an e36 M3 I can test drive and see
how it feels.

Thanks for all the advice and, by the way, Ranger is as in Rangers
Football Club don't want anything more to do with Fords, had a Cortina
once - very ordinary.

Ranger

Old March 17th 05, 11:40 PM
R. Rikoski

Couple of points:

The M3 is fantastic! IMHO, it does everything right. But it will be
older than your 330 which means more rattles and more maintenance. If
you care.

BTW, where will you run the car? (Your posting didn't indicate your
shire.) On the Motorway? Country roads? Will you be able to fully
exercise the M3 so as to appreciate the difference, such as it is?

As to Fords: your opinion is based on a Cortina? Really? Then you should
drive my 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt. Then we can talk.

Otherwise, I agree. The Cortina is a P.O.S.

Rick Rikoski
2001 330Xi
2001 Bullitt
1992 Miata MX5

Old March 17th 05, 11:54 PM
daytripper

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:44:44 GMT, Ranger > wrote:

>Drove home from work this evening and the 330 was fantastic, so still in
>a quandry. I think I'll try to find an e36 M3 I can test drive and see
>how it feels.

You really need to, because you may find the stock e36 M3 seats suck ass...
Old March 18th 05, 02:56 AM
Randy

daytripper wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:44:44 GMT, Ranger > wrote:
>
>>Drove home from work this evening and the 330 was fantastic, so still in
>>a quandry. I think I'll try to find an e36 M3 I can test drive and see
>>how it feels.

> You really need to, because you may find the stock e36 M3 seats suck ass...

Maybe true of your ass, but mine is happier in my 1995 M3 than my 94 325is or 92
325i. Much better lateral support, and it may have better leather.

I have no idea how the e46 compares.

Randy
Old March 18th 05, 02:25 PM
Rob Munach

Randy wrote:

> daytripper wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:44:44 GMT, Ranger > wrote:
>>

>>>Drove home from work this evening and the 330 was fantastic, so still in
>>>a quandry. I think I'll try to find an e36 M3 I can test drive and see
>>>how it feels.

>>You really need to, because you may find the stock e36 M3 seats suck ass...

> Maybe true of your ass, but mine is happier in my 1995 M3 than my 94 325is or 92
> 325i. Much better lateral support, and it may have better leather.
>
> I have no idea how the e46 compares.
>
> Randy

The E30 325is has the best seats of them all.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old March 19th 05, 07:23 PM
Alan

I'm a huge BMW and //M fan, but the E36 M3 isn't all that exciting in
my opinion. If you really want the //M3 experience, why not get an
E30? Or just stick with what you've got. It's a fantastic car.