roof chop

Old January 5th 05, 11:50 PM
tricky

Default roof chop

Hello again

Roof chops ...

Some look cool. I can get my head round cutting and welding but what to
do about the glass ?

Do you put perspex / acrylic in or can you get car glass made one off at
an affordable price ?

Thanks
Rich
Old January 6th 05, 12:21 AM
jjs

"tricky" > wrote in message
> Hello again
>
> Roof chops ...
>
> Some look cool. I can get my head round cutting and welding but what to do
> about the glass ?

The glass is the easy part. Have it cut to fit. I have seen only one
choptop that used only one extra roof, and it didn't look very good.

Old January 6th 05, 11:21 AM
tricky

I had imagined the glass, being toughened, would shatter if it was cut ?

Rich

Old January 6th 05, 04:38 PM
Mark

go to www.volksrods.com
and dig around there are several articles and links that should help you
Mark

Old January 6th 05, 07:19 PM
Scott H

You're right, the rear window is tempered and cannot be cut.

--
Scott

Old January 6th 05, 08:15 PM
tricky

Kinda confirms what I thought !

Can cut the front, but would need to get the side and back made
somewhere :-(

I like to do things on my own - its cheaper !!!

Rich

Old January 7th 05, 03:29 AM
MUADIB®

>Some look cool. I can get my head round cutting and welding but what to
>do about the glass ?

I have been watching this thread a little , and my knowledged, albeit
very little, is that when you do a chopped top on a car, you cut the
roof to allow the back glass to be re-used *as-is*. the rest of the
glass is usually easy to have built or in some cases, just roll the
windows up till they top out for the sides.........My knowledge is of
'50 Mercury.............See Website he

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/MERC2.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/MERC4.jpg

Not much help with the Bugs, but pretty slick Car. I went to high
school many days in that car with the guy who owns it's
Son............back in the early 80's............before the chopping
took place. ( Who knows what powers it nowadays......??)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old January 7th 05, 03:43 AM
Shag

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 02:29:14 GMT, MUADIB®
> wrote:

>>Some look cool. I can get my head round cutting and welding but what to
>>do about the glass ?

>I have been watching this thread a little , and my knowledged, albeit
>very little, is that when you do a chopped top on a car, you cut the
>roof to allow the back glass to be re-used *as-is*. the rest of the
>glass is usually easy to have built or in some cases, just roll the
>windows up till they top out for the sides.....

That's what I was thinking. "Just roll the windows up as far as they
will go." :-) A guy I work with (this happened about 7 years ago)
noticed I was into VW's and tried to sell me a VW Bug he'd chopped the
top on. I drove out to his place and checked it out and it SUCKED.
I mean the chop job was BAD. He wasn't home and his wife wouldn't
even let me attempt to start the car. I only asked to start the car
to be polite because 5 seconds after being within 5 feet of the car I
knew I wouldn't even tow it back to my house for free out of sympathy.
Her saying "no" was just the reason to back out of ever being a part
of that deal. Not today... I don't see the attraction to chopping
the top on any vehicle. I guess some people like the look? Because
it sure as hell isn't functional.

---

"Knowledge speaks; wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix
"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old January 7th 05, 02:46 PM
tricky

<snip>
> Not much help with the Bugs, but pretty slick Car. I went to high
> school many days in that car with the guy who owns it's
> Son............back in the early 80's............before the chopping
> took place. ( Who knows what powers it nowadays......??)

Looks nice !

The rear window looks to me to be smaller than it would have been ?

I'm not familiar with that car, do you remember if that is the original
window size ?

Rich

Old January 7th 05, 02:50 PM
tricky

Not seen any mention of plasics , I guess it isnt used much then .

Rich