1996 Explorer AWD transfer case

Old July 22nd 05, 05:36 AM
MrScience

Default 1996 Explorer AWD transfer case

I am hearing a growling noise coming from the front end whenever the
vehicle is rolling. I suspect it is the transfer case since it was
worked on in the past. How can i diagnose the problem myself? And
where can I find instructions on how to R&R the transfer case if need
be?

Thanx

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict130062.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=633725
Old July 22nd 05, 04:21 PM
Gerald Riggs

My 97 EB w AWD also growls a little too. Try removing the front driveshaft
and listening again. Mine is quiet wo the front shaft installed which
indicated to me that the AWD TC is the culprit. It has 120k miles but
appears in good condition! But beware, the transmission 'Park Position" will
not hold and the car will on a slope wo the front shaft.
R&Ring the AWD Case looks straightforward in my Ford CD but the top
mounting bolts look difficult to get at. Maybe someone else can help here.
Jerry, Kingston WA
news:1_633725_2f59dc5666e0af1590bcf32e15025b66@aut oforumz.com...

Old July 23rd 05, 06:19 AM
ross via CarKB.com

MrScience wrote:
>I am hearing a growling noise coming from the front end whenever the
>vehicle is rolling. I suspect it is the transfer case since it was
>worked on in the past. How can i diagnose the problem myself? And
>where can I find instructions on how to R&R the transfer case if need
>be?
>
>Thanx

The front driveshaft is the most common front end problem on the AWD. I
believe you have a constant velocity joint on the transfer case side of the
driveshaft like my 99. This CV joint is what usually fails on the
driveshaft, and is sometimes hard to diagnose. It can sound like a transfer
case issue because it is bolted right up to it.

Best thing is to yank out the front driveshaft and examine the u joint and CV
joint carefully.
While that's off, you can put the front wheels in the air and check the front
axle/wheel bearings for noise / roughness.

Old July 24th 05, 02:37 PM
Gerald Riggs

And go drive it around too in 2WD.

Old July 24th 05, 07:23 PM
Chris & Patty Bolan

You might want to try something simple like lubricating your rear U-Joint.
My 97 AWD was also making some noises that I thought were coming from the
front - ended up being the rear U-Joint...

Chris