Z4 vs 330ci

Old July 2nd 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default Z4 vs 330ci

Hi Folks,
I owned a 330Ci (01) which I traded in recently to get the wife her
lexus.

To get over the severe Bmw-withdrawal symptoms I am contemplating
getting a Z4 (2003/2004), which would hopefully not burn a large hole
in the pocket.

Any inputs on the following will be gratefully appreciated -

- general comments on going from a 330Ci convertible to a Z4
- wind noise between the two (wish I had kept the 330 for comparison)
- handling and ride quality (the 330 had a sport pkg and the stiffer
suspension)
- suggestions on whether a 2.5 will be comparable to my older 330 or
should I go in for the 3.0 instead to get comparable performance
- what to watch out for when buying a used Z4 (specific to the model,
that is)

Many thanks!

Old July 2nd 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Folks,
> I owned a 330Ci (01) which I traded in recently to get the wife her
> lexus.
>
> To get over the severe Bmw-withdrawal symptoms I am contemplating
> getting a Z4 (2003/2004), which would hopefully not burn a large hole
> in the pocket.
>
> Any inputs on the following will be gratefully appreciated -
>
> - general comments on going from a 330Ci convertible to a Z4
> - wind noise between the two (wish I had kept the 330 for comparison)
> - handling and ride quality (the 330 had a sport pkg and the stiffer
> suspension)

I haven't driven a 330Ci, but my Z4 has a lined top and is pretty quiet as
far as wind noise is concerned. The handling is much better than my sport
package equipped 328i, but the Z4 ride (without SP) is considerably
stiffer, although it has improved with a switch to non run flat tires.

> - suggestions on whether a 2.5 will be comparable to my older 330 or
> should I go in for the 3.0 instead to get comparable performance

Since the Z4 is nearly 20% lighter than your E46 convertible, I suspect the
2.5 would be comparable - but my 3.0 is really a blast to drive and still
gets 30 mpg at (reasonable) highway speeds.

> - what to watch out for when buying a used Z4 (specific to the model,
> that is)

Make sure that the coil recall has been performed.

Tom K.

Old July 2nd 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E Brown

On 1 Jul 2006 18:08:29 -0700, wrote:
>Any inputs on the following will be gratefully appreciated -
>
>- general comments on going from a 330Ci convertible to a Z4
>- wind noise between the two (wish I had kept the 330 for comparison)
>- handling and ride quality (the 330 had a sport pkg and the stiffer
>suspension)
>- suggestions on whether a 2.5 will be comparable to my older 330 or
>should I go in for the 3.0 instead to get comparable performance
>- what to watch out for when buying a used Z4 (specific to the model,
>that is)

When I first decided I wanted a convertible, I thought about
trading my 325i in on a 330i cab and test drove one. My thoughts, re.
your questions, based on that experience:
- The 3-series cabs are roomier. The Z4 interior is designed to
look open and spacious, and it's fine for two passengers. But there
isn't room for much else in there. I keep a couple of CDs in the
console, and a few slips of paper in the glove box - any more and it
would get crowded
- Wind noise seems comparable - both have lined tops, so top-up is
the same, and top down at 75 was similar as well.
- Handling and ride quality. Like Tom, I dumped the run-flats the
car came with and upgraded to 18" type 107 wheels with Goodyears. The
ride is smoother and less jittery, but even without the sport package
it's handling is better than my 325i with SP. The Z4 has a shorter
wheelbase and lower center of gravity. Lots of people don't like the
electric power steering, but I like it.
- the 2.5i engine is nippy, and the 5-speed will likely keep up
with someone in a 3.0-liter automatic thanks to the differential.
However on long trips you'll miss the lack of extra cog, both for fuel
economy and quiet. BMW was smart to offer the 6-speed on all models
starting with the facelifted versions this year.
- as for problems, I haven't had any with mine. Others have
reported the usual 3-series problems: window motors failing, coils,
the occasional electronic niggle. People on
www.z4um.com have reported
broken springs at the rear of the car as well.
Usually, the two key questions are usually "Are you happy with the
car?" and "Would you buy one again?" For me, the answer is "yes" to
the first, and "I plan to" for the second - I'm getting a 3.0si in a
couple of years when the Z4 ends its model run.
epbrown
--
2003 BMW 325i Black/Black
2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black

E46 330ci performance zaden BMW 2 March 22nd 06 01:18 AM
330Ci wheels [email protected] BMW 6 November 6th 05 04:59 PM
330Ci - time for tires... Barry K BMW 9 August 30th 05 02:56 AM
questions on oil consumption 2002 330ci and all 3 liter owners WEisserer BMW 12 November 9th 04 05:29 PM
2001 M3 vs. 330ci as used car buy GRL BMW 9 September 24th 04 09:18 PM